PLEASE HELP - Bank's problem not mine, I am entitled to this one off charge refund.

Bradders33
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5974 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Just quickly, I have 3 bank a/c's with A&L, two sole a/c's, one joint a/c. Each month we transfer money to the joint one to cover the bills. I do this on the 28th and my hubby on the 1st.

This month the 1st fell on a Saturday, so A&L transferred the money on the 3rd, which is the same day as the mortgage payment. I looked online on the 3rd and the a/c all looked fine.

Today we get a letter charging us for paying the mortgage when there was insufficient funds?!?

I call up and was told that the standing order transfer registered AFTER the mortgage DD, hence the charge. I asked for it to be refunded as when you look online it shows the transfer as the first transaction of the day and the mortgage DD as the last, how as I do not work in a bank how am I to know this little quirk in the banking system. He explains that's the way it works and tough-titties basically.

I politely demanded a refund, he started spouting that the FSA has "told them to decline any refund requests" until the banks court case finishes. I corrected him and said that the FSA have not "told them to decline refunds" at all and pointed out that A&L aren't part of the OFT Test case anyway and just choose to take up the FSA's waiver.

I also point out that I am not disputing a disproportionate charge, I am disputing the charge in it's entirerity as my standing order is set up in good faith to transfer the money each month and asked him how it's MY fault that I got charged... He could not answer that.

I am waiting on a manager to call me, what can I say to persuade them to refund this one charge? [EDIT]

Guest ChloeJane

Oooo...cheeky of them!

Uphold the arguement that the DD is set up in good faith as you stated and that it is ultimately not your error. That as this is not a common issue, that if they wish to lose a good loyal customer and have all accounts closed and mortgage company changed, then you are more than happy to follow that route on principal.

Stand your ground and mention that if for the sake of the charge made you are forced to go through to the Banking Ombudsman and complaints Department that you will claim for your time invovled on the matter at £9 an hour which is your going rate.

The banks appear to have become rigid with refunds of fees, but if you hold a good record, they will if you stand your ground, back down.

Post back and let us know!

There's not a lot you can do - but - its a little known fact that the bank manager of every branch in nearly every bank has to account for every bank account that is closed by a customer (they used to have to write a letter to head office explaining themselves). Remember - people are more likely to get divorced in the UK than change accounts. Its a pain to do - and they are all as bad as each other - but the satisfaction is worth it.

oh yeah - for everyone who complains - make sure you state that you want to make an 'official complaint' and you want it recorded as such. Remember - you can complain about other factors which may have occured - such as communications with customers (failing to do so properly is a breach of FSA regs) - you do not have to complain solely about bank charges.

A £35 pound bank charge is not a charge for a service. Its theft.

A moot point but the STANDING ORDER went out on the 1st which is a non banking day ie a saturday so they will argue as per their terms and conditions that the funds have to be in the previous working day or Friday. The funds being there on the Monday would not have covered. If it was a first charge though on your account then a Gesture of Goodwill refund could and perhaps should have been offered.

alecmac, not sure that is the case anymore with regards to closed accounts. People close accounts all the time. Excessive closure then maybe it would highlight an issue to the banks head office.