Mackenzie Hall / 1st Credit / Singlepoint

pangster

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4458 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me or offer advice.

I was contacted some time ago by 1st Credit demanding payment for an outstanding bill to Singlepoint/Vodafone for £176.50. I advised the person i spoke to that i had no recollection of this debt and i was disputing this balance. I requested copy statements and details of how the balance was derived.

I heard nothing further until today - when i arrived home to find a letter from Mackenzie Hall stating it was a Final Notice and giving me 7 days from the date of the letter to make payment. Along with this letter was 3 phone statements (06/04/04, 06/05/04 and the 06/06/04) the latest statement showed an outstanding balance of £81.13 (not £176.50).

I then called Mackenzie Hall to firstly complain i had received this letter and it's tone and also to complain that the information i received didn't answer my original enquiry (i.e. discrepancy between £81.13 and £176.50) - i was past to a manager who was very aggressive and advised that the balance was correct and due for payment and the remainder had been made up of charges as he said the contract was cancelled early etc yet when i asked him he couldn't detail the charges over the phone.

I advised him that as far as i was concerned the matter was still in dispute as they have still not provided the information asked for or provided a satisfactory explanation of what exactly the additional debt is made up from. He then stated he would be preparing a court profile for me and would recover the debt that way and then hung up! :eek:

I'm quite upset at this and just want to understand where i stand?? please can anyone help or offer advice????

Have you tried contacting Vodafone to find out exactly how much they passed to the debt collection agency and what it was for?

hi - thanks for the reply!

I did try calling Vodafone as i know they bought over Singplepoint - but they couldn't find me on their system despite me giving my old number, account number and old address..

Hmm... so they passed a debt to this dca, yet they cannot actually find any account which exists for you? Have you pointed out to the agency that Vodafine/Singlepoint actually has no record of you ever being a customer?

Hmm... so they passed a debt to this dca, yet they cannot actually find any account which exists for you? Have you pointed out to the agency that Vodafine/Singlepoint actually has no record of you ever being a customer?

i think it's maybe something Vodafone won't have sight off... i have received copies of 3 statements from Singlepoint along with the Final Notice letter - which means my details must be held somewhere.. although the 3 statements i received don't really answer my question - as the last one only shows a balance of £81.13???

should i send MH a formal request i.e. CCA or SAR?? and email them in the interim i.e. to advise them of this and to confirm the debt is in dispute?? should i ask for a copy of deed of assignment too??

i'm bewildered by it all to be honest.. they stated they would be taking me to court.. but how can they prove the debt to court when they can't even prove it (detail it) to me??

here's a copy of the letter i received stating i owe £176.50:

mhletter.jpg

and here is the latest copy statement they sent showing £81.13:

statement.jpg

not sure if it helps anyone offer advice??

also forgot to mention that i'm less than impressed with the way the letter came through the door as almost all of the reference data/details were visible through the envelope window:

MHenvelope.JPG

is this an offence?

also forgot to mention that i'm less than impressed with the way the letter came through the door as almost all of the reference data/details were visible through the envelope window:

is this an offence?

No, but it is a breach of the OFT guidelines. You should make a formal complaint to MH, asking for a copy of their complaint procedure (they're obliged to provide this on demand). If their response is unsatisfactory, escalate it to FOS, who will charge MH £400 to investigate.

Your first point of contact should be Vodafone as they may not have sold the debt to 1st Credit. It may be that 1st Credit are only chasing the debt on behalf of Singlepoint/Vodafone.

Vodafone will have the information, however if its a really old account its probably not on their main billing system. Have you tried writing to them? I believe that the majority of credit file queries are dealt with by one specific team. If you give them as much detail as possible they will investigate the matter for you.

If the debt has been sold on to 1st credit they will still be able to help to a certain degree.

Did 1st Credit tell you whether they had added any fees on top of the money they say you owe to Singlepoint/Vodafone?

• 1 year later...

I have just received a letter from McKenzie Hall trying to settle a £400 debt from 2002 with Singlepoint.

I left Singlepoint back in 2002 when I was changed over by Phones4U to a new contract with another provider.

McKenzie Hall have no idea of how the debt came to be but the agent suggested to me over the phone that it is likely to be 1 years line rental that was never cancelled.

If this was the case, then this has to be a fault of Phones4U as they assured me that the line was cancelled and my new one was active.

I've tried ringing Vodafone and they have no record of my old account with Singlepoint.

McKenzies letter is rather aggressive (claiming that they will be paying a doorstep visit shortly).

Does anyone have any recommendations of any action I can take?

Thanks in advance.