• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Tesco Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr r

whirlybird
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5953 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Would'nt you think that in light of current events that credit card co.s would be paying more attention to the eligibility of their potential customers?

Well not Tesco it would appear.

They have just issued a card with a £2k limit to my retired mum who has no income other than state benefit!

Even after she told the woman there was no way she could afford repayments on such a card they gave her one regardless. I might add she was pitched in-store and was not seeking a cc, just helping out the "lady who said she just wanted a few details"

Many apologies/denials that it was Tesco staff who pitched her, have just written letter to Mr Leahy questioning their suitability to hold a consumer credit licence.

So dont worry this Christmas, NO INCOME is no bar to having a Tesco CC.

RBS the card issuers insist on £10k p.a income but Tescos are obviously special.

Rant over sorry.

Whirly x

Think I might give them a bash too :D

All my posts are made without prejudice and may not be reused or reproduced without my express permission (or the permission of the forums owners)!

17/10/2006 Recieve claim against me from lloyds TSB for £312.82

18/10/06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

03/02/07 Claim allocated to small claims. Hearing set for 15/05/07. Lloyds ordered to file statement setting out how they calculate their charges

15/05/07 Lloyds do not attend. Judgement ordered for £192 approx, £3 travel costs and removal of default notice

29/05/07 4pm Lloyds deadline for payment of CCJ expires. Warrant of execution ready to go

19/06/07 Letter from court stating Lloyds have made a cheque payment to court

They were doing this in Sainsbury's last month - a guy in a suit with a clipboard going 'round trying to hook people in. That sort of thing really irritates me (it doesn't take much, I know ;)) as it comes under my umbrella term of 'damn cheeky'...if I go into a shop, I want to find my item, pay for my item, and get the hells out of there, with minimal chit-chat. I don't want to be accosted three times on the way to the vegetables with offers of loyalty cards (details sold), credit cards (irresponsible lending) and DD donations to the latest hot cause (if I want to give to charity, I'll put a one-off donation in their little pot, not give out my details to all and sundry for them to take as much as pleases them!)...

Alright, rant over. I'm off to go 'round an SAS obstacle course; I'm popping into Tesco later on, so I might as well practice my moves... :rolleyes:

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

What I've found interesting when I applied for the card last night is that Tesco ask for your clubcard details and state that your clubcard habits will be taken into account with the application.

Does this mean if you spend a lot at Tesco, they'll give you a card?

All my posts are made without prejudice and may not be reused or reproduced without my express permission (or the permission of the forums owners)!

03/02/07 Claim allocated to small claims. Hearing set for 15/05/07. Lloyds ordered to file statement setting out how they calculate their charges

15/05/07 Lloyds do not attend. Judgement ordered for £192 approx, £3 travel costs and removal of default notice

29/05/07 4pm Lloyds deadline for payment of CCJ expires. Warrant of execution ready to go

You get points when using the CC which are added to ur clubcard account, hence why asked for it. We have just paid off our last CC and yes it was Tesco, we have gone from having 6 CCs with most CC suppliers, to having non now, which is a great relief, as no more temptations and no more intrest to pay..... We are well chuffed.

Back to just spending/using our owe money........all helped by my other half now finding a job......CCs are okay to assist you in the short term, but you can easily be drawn in to spending spending money that will need paying back.....A rat race we have now managed to steer from....Thankfully......

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

Would'nt you think that in light of current events that credit card co.s would be paying more attention to the eligibility of their potential customers?

Well not Tesco it would appear.

They have just issued a card with a £2k limit to my retired mum who has no income other than state benefit!

So dont worry this Christmas, NO INCOME is no bar to having a Tesco CC.

Rant over sorry.

Whirly x

But a pension is an income.:confused:

My mum's a pensioner and she has a Co-Op credit card for about £2k because she has this income and no real outgoing's and can comfortably afford the very small repayments as she hasn't really used the card.

Even if she got to the limit it wouldn't be a problem on her pension.

Can't see the problem here I'm afraid.

But a pension is an income.:confused:

My mum's a pensioner and she has a Co-Op credit card for about £2k because she has this income and no real outgoing's and can comfortably afford the very small repayments as she hasn't really used the card.

Even if she got to the limit it wouldn't be a problem on her pension.

Can't see the problem here I'm afraid.

Sorry Al, OP is referring to a minimum income (ie state pension) which the government states as being the minimum required to live on, therefore, there is no scope to be owing.

Al, if your mum has an oustanding balance on the account then realistically she is struggling to meet her day to day living costs. This is the very reason why OP posted.

Sorry Al, OP is referring to a minimum income (ie state pension) which the government states as being the minimum required to live on, therefore, there is no scope to be owing.

Al, if your mum has an oustanding balance on the account then realistically she is struggling to meet her day to day living costs. This is the very reason why OP posted.

My mum is on the minimum income of state pension and she pays about £10 a month to her card from her (approx) pension of £360 a month.

She never finds this a problem to pay and she can clearly afford it so why give Tesco, or the CO-OP in my mum's case, grief?:confused:

Is the suggestion here that all pensioners have to be prohibited from credit?

What if my mum wanted a new washing machine, which she has just bought at £2 per week btw, but she wasn't allowed to as she's a pensioner?

Why must she have only the option of paying £300 in one go?

How does that work in your world?

So you are saying that your mum could not afford £300 for a new washing machine and could therefore only buy on credit?

1) There was no need to buy a NEW machine, there are cheaper options.

2) What if the TV, fridge, cooker all break down, are they also replaced by using the plastic friend?

Yes, your mum is not spending on what are deemed non-essential items in this day and age.

Using (2) above can you see how easy it is to end up on the maximum limit on the card? Can you then work out how much she will actually pay for these goods? Can you work out that by the time they are all paid, they will probably all need replacing again. If you can, then you will spot the vicious circle of using credit and how people inadvertingly end up over their heads. Finally it is not a very good example to set to you is it?

I agree with the OP here, people should be financially assessed properly to ensure they do not end up in debt, unfortunately the simple facts of life show that not many pensioners earn again after retirement, so their income is never going to drastically increase.

You get points when using the CC which are added to ur clubcard account, hence why asked for it.

Thats the other reason however the application specifically stated that data from your clubcard would be used for processing it and by putting your club card details it would help your application

Weird Al

No, im not suggesting that pensioners be barred from credit facilities. What im staggered by is the fact that 1. credit limit starts at £250, why was the limit set automatically at £2k? 2.mum struggles living on state pension, which she told the woman, yet was given card with no explanation of interest rates etc.

My mum is of sound mind and chose to destroy card before the temptation of buying few extra treats for grandchildren kicked in.

To my mind Tesco preyed on someone of a trusting generation, who was not seeking credit facilities. I appreciate they are selling their own service in-store and she could have just told them to sod off but shes too damn polite sometimes!

Had she gone on to use the card and struggled to make payment, do you think Tesco would bear any responsibility for irresponsible lending?

Would they call off the dogs because shes a pensioner?

Would the DCAs give a rats ass or would she be another "wont pay"

Im not here to start an argument with anyone just sharing my astonishment that even now, people are being given credit with no concern as to whether they will be able to pay it back.

Whirly x

its an all to farmimilar story.

spend a few minutes helping someone " on spec", then days down the line, up pops a credit card/ gas account change over/ elecric account change over.

Your mom has done the right thing by destroying the card.

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

So you are saying that your mum could not afford £300 for a new washing machine and could therefore only buy on credit?

1) There was no need to buy a NEW machine, there are cheaper options.

2) What if the TV, fridge, cooker all break down, are they also replaced by using the plastic friend?

Yes, your mum is not spending on what are deemed non-essential items in this day and age.

Using (2) above can you see how easy it is to end up on the maximum limit on the card? Can you then work out how much she will actually pay for these goods? Can you work out that by the time they are all paid, they will probably all need replacing again. If you can, then you will spot the vicious circle of using credit and how people inadvertingly end up over their heads. Finally it is not a very good example to set to you is it?

I agree with the OP here, people should be financially assessed properly to ensure they do not end up in debt, unfortunately the simple facts of life show that not many pensioners earn again after retirement, so their income is never going to drastically increase.

Look, my mum got a new washing machine because she needed one. She has about another £40 to pay on her card to bring her balance down to zero.

Not only has she paid the minimum balance off her card over about the last 10 months but also paid extra because she has been able to.

The interest charged has been far lower than any in-house credit agreement from Comet etc.

And all via her pension. In fact, she is also going to get a new fridge in the new year sales in the same way.

What on earth is wrong with that?

Weird Al

No, im not suggesting that pensioners be barred from credit facilities. What im staggered by is the fact that 1. credit limit starts at £250, why was the limit set automatically at £2k? 2.mum struggles living on state pension, which she told the woman, yet was given card with no explanation of interest rates etc.

My mum is of sound mind and chose to destroy card before the temptation of buying few extra treats for grandchildren kicked in.

To my mind Tesco preyed on someone of a trusting generation, who was not seeking credit facilities. I appreciate they are selling their own service in-store and she could have just told them to sod off but shes too damn polite sometimes!

Had she gone on to use the card and struggled to make payment, do you think Tesco would bear any responsibility for irresponsible lending?

Would they call off the dogs because shes a pensioner?

Would the DCAs give a rats ass or would she be another "wont pay"

Im not here to start an argument with anyone just sharing my astonishment that even now, people are being given credit with no concern as to whether they will be able to pay it back.

Whirly x

But your gripe seems to be that you are annoyed with this because your mother cannot make ends meet and shouldn't have been given a card.

However, some pensioners, my mum included, are able to afford credit despite also being on a pension.

I just fail to see why those on a pension be deprived of this just because your mum isn't able to afford one.

Two people on the same income doesn't mean both have the same circumstance or hardship.

Hmm, you missed the point Al. It is irrelevant what your mum is currently doing, the fact is that these cards are issued with the prime intention of pushing people into paying lots of interest and tempting people to their maximum limit.

Quite frankly, you shot yourself with your own statements, "easily being able to afford £10 per month and paying a little extra", well the fact is that the £10 plus is what your mum managed to spend each month prior to buying the machine, had she put it away then she would have gained a little interest, bought the item outright and have a few extra pounds of saved interests payments now!

Al, I am not getting at either you or your mum personally. I am simply using your posts as examples of how people end up where they never intended going in the first place.

Neither am I against pensioners obtaining credit cards, I do, however believe that where people are on a minimum income, they should not be issued with cards, as it directly conflicts with the minimum payment of £1 when people go onto benefits.

Oh c'mon mtar!

Had my mum put away £10 a month, and a bit extra, and into any form of savings she would have probably got about £7.50 interest and had to save for two years for a washing machine where she needed one now!

My parents worked hard all their life, paid taxes and NI and bought their own home.

Now they are on a pension, no debts (other than £40 on a CO-OP card) and they are in a position to enjoy their lives with some disposable income where they have paid some 50 odd years into the system.

Why on earth should anybody condemn my mum for paying £289 for a new washing machine on a credit card when she has clearly shown she can afford to pay it back?

I don't get it.:confused:

Thanks for all responses.

Weird Al, like i said, not here for argument and if you read posts, im not averse to pensioners obtaining credit.

The point was this: we are hearing on the news,sites like this and our own experiences that we the consumers are not the only ones struggling with finances at the moment.

The credit industry is facing a ball game all of its own right now and we the average consumer will pay the price in one way or another.

I am disgusted by the tactics of Tesco. To not even be asked if you have an income whilst being signed up for a credit card you havent asked for!!!

Im speaking both as a concerned daughter and consumer.If my mum who said she couldnt afford repayments and is given a card she runs a debt on,who do you think pays? Mum pays with crippling interest,hell from dcas and the rest of us with extra charges to make up shortfall on banks irresponsible lending.

Whirly x

At the risk of facing the wrath of the posters in this thread...

Surely your mother is responsible for her own finances? Tesco are entitled to tell her about a product which they offer, just the same as your mother is perfectly entitled to say no. If she knows she cannot afford it then she simply doesn't take the credit card, no?

As for the washing machine example above, some of the views were a bit ridiculous. So an elderly woman is to go without a washing machine (which clearly she could afford to pay the card repayments for) for months, rather than put it on her card? It was mentioned she could put the £10 per month away and save up. Surely she would end up paying more in the long run by either having to rent a washing machine through hire purchase etc (which actually costs almost double in the long run), or spend lost of money at a laundromat each month? She probably did the most sensible thing if she was sure she could afford the repayments.

It's time people start taking responsibility for their own actions and stopped whinging about being in debt and blaming banks/credit card companies for the situation they got themselves into.

I have to agree lawbunny.

This is a consumer website and, sometimes, credit providers can do a good service to some of us. I'm in a bit of bother because of circumstance and most, but not all, my creditor's have been understanding.

My mum comes from the prudent, hard-up generation born when this country entered the last world war.

She is thrilled with her new washing machine and how she bought it with no concerns whatsoever.

If the CO-OP suggests raising her limit I'm certain my mum will turn it down, or accept it but be hardly likely to spend it all as she is careful.

lawbunny

Absolutely agree. In my mothers case she did the responsible thing,took the view that she could not afford repayments and chopped up the card. That takes care of personal responsibility in this case.

However.

I am talking about corporate responsibility. Mum goes to buy weekly shop, is accosted instore.

As i said, she could have told them to sod off but is too polite for her own good.

Would the average person consider someone on state pension as only source of income,to be a good bet? Personally no, others may disagree.

This post was more about apportioning responsibility than denying it.

Despairing Whirly x

Oh c'mon mtar!

Had my mum put away £10 a month, and a bit extra, and into any form of savings she would have probably got about £7.50 interest and had to save for two years for a washing machine where she needed one now!

My comment was had she been putting thay money away instead of spending it each month. In very simple terms, as you appear to misread everything, had she been saving at least £10pm long before the washing machine packed up then she would have had the cash to buy it with. My point being that your mum is suddenly having to find the £10pm she was previously spending. The credit card companies hope that she will keep spending until such time it is virtually impossible even with her own budgeting to manage, ie they get the maximum interest payments possible.

My parents worked hard all their life, paid taxes and NI and bought their own home.

Now they are on a pension, no debts (other than £40 on a CO-OP card) and they are in a position to enjoy their lives with some disposable income where they have paid some 50 odd years into the system.

That was my other point, the disposable income is basic state pension( as stated by you). This is effectively a minimum income where people with problems are basically allowed to only pay a nominal payment of £1pm towards card debts. It seems a stupid system that allows some-one on basic income to use cards that ultimately they could to some extent avoid repaying. Your mum is currently managing well, probably due to her prudence over the years. I am simply trying to show how easy it is to go beyond managing.

Why on earth should anybody condemn my mum for paying £289 for a new washing machine on a credit card when she has clearly shown she can afford to pay it back?

If you read, you will see I am not, and never have. You are taking an example personally.

I don't get it.:confused:

If you do not get it this time, I give up!

However.

I am talking about corporate responsibility. Mum goes to buy weekly shop, is accosted instore.

As i said, she could have told them to sod off but is too polite for her own good.

Would the average person consider someone on state pension as only source of income,to be a good bet? Personally no, others may disagree.

This post was more about apportioning responsibility than denying it.

Despairing Whirly x

Hey, I hear what you're saying, really I do. But ultimately anybody can sell anybody anything, it's up to the customer what to accept. Some people on state pension actually manage quite well: often they do not have mortgages/rent to pay, so their full pension is disposable. If they are sure they can afford the repayments (baring in mind you could use the credit card for very cheap items ie a cd, a meal in a restauraunt) then there is no reason why they cannot take the credit card. If a person is aware they will not be able to afford it then they do not accept it. Tesco advertise plenty of different items in store: groceries, electrical goods, financial services. The principle is the same for all of the goods: you don't want the tin of beans advertised, you just don't buy it - you don't want the credit card, you just don't sign up for it. You cannot be forced to. As for your mother being "accosted" whilst doing her weekly shop, she can politely say "no thankyou, not interested" and walk off, or if she feels strongly enough she could do her grocery shopping elsewhere.

Clearly your mother acted sensibly and did not sign up for the card - crisis averted. I don't see why people go on and on about how lenders should be responsible for the debt people are in: only the debtor is responsible for his own debt.

If you do not get it this time, I give up!

As lawbunny has pointed out my mum's pension is minimum income but it is almost all completely disposable.

It isn't like unemployment benefit where a young man may have lost his job and is now struggling to even get or keep a roof over his head.

My mum is fortunate in that she is the generation who were prudent and put all their money into the family and the home.

The pension is so generous, in my mum's case and circumstance, that not only does it pay for food & essential bills but she can easily afford holidays, days out etc.

And my mum's washing machine blew up-she couldn't plan for that purchase.

You are just being obstinate now.