Why punctuation matters

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5978 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I just love the difference in meaning between the two following sentences:

"A woman without her man means nothing."

" a woman: without her, man means nothing."

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

If I've been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very true HC.

Hope you do not mind my little rant here.

One child detained after school. We duly get the letter informing us to collect at 4.30. Off I go, arriving at 4.25. Waited, waited, waited.....

At 4.45 off I go to complain that 4.30 means 4.30 not after 4.45.

Some-how I managed to control my temper when I am informed that the letter should have said 4.00 because their policy had changed.

My child, had been released at 4.00 and was no-where to be seen. It is a few miles of walking so off I go, hunting for a child. 10 minutes later, I find my poor little sod sobbing in the middle of a street, petrified to carry on walking because it is too dark.

One school is heading for an almighty blow.

That is terrible!

I don't believe that they let your kid go without supervision. In loco parentis, and all that.

All guns blazing is the only way to sort this out.

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

The best thing is, apart from being allowed to catch the school bus, I have signed their own form clearly stating "not to be released to walk"

I was so annoyed, I phoned my local councillor and he is going to sort it for me. I did not want to speak to the head because I have another serious issue with him (that is with LEA at the moment).

Hope you get it sorted. As this must not happen again - to your kid or to any other.

I will, my final decision though is that, although I agree discipline, the school as let me down and I will never ever again allow any of my children to be detained after school. If the school disapproves, then tough!

As this school as managed twice this term to annoy me, I will let off a third rant about them. The note I received contained a spelling mistake (by a teacher), every school report contains numerous punctuation, grammar & spelling errors by various teachers. There really is no wonder why children cannot spell as well as we were taught is there?

Tell me about it, aktiv.

I'm actually part of a project at my Uni - which is a good one. We teach remedial (oh, whoops - not allowed to call it that) ... grammar and punctuation to first years.

Oh, how I could rant!

ey oop!

You taking the p*** out of her accent? The "h" was silent.

:p

omg octron!

And you have the cheek to pick aktiv up on her typo!

"as" is an adverb - it is often used for comparison: " as thick as a DCA"; "as likely to produce a CCA as it is to snow in hell" ... "has" is from the verb "to have": "the DCA has no chance of getting payment from me"

No probs - I enjoyed making up those examples.

:)

No probs - I enjoyed making up those examples.

:)

H-H,

you are one sad barsteward.........discussing adverbs at nearly 3 o'clock in the morning, two days after comparing Hegel and Nietsche at 4 in the morning.

Can't you find anything better to do at 3 in the morning if you're awake?:p :p :p :p

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

It's a new olympic event. Health and Safety execs thought that actually throwing a discus anywhere in Britain would be a hazard to moles, grass, and maybe even stupid humans, so now they have to run to the line and just sing about how far they think it's going to go.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

It's a new olympic event. Health and Safety execs thought that actually throwing a discus anywhere in Britain would be a hazard to moles, grass, and maybe even stupid humans, so now they have to run to the line and just sing about how far they think it's going to go.

Cheers, davey-boy, my monitor really needed a spray-coat of tea. Ta very much ;)

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

As sung or sang or singed (spelling not a strong point) to the tune of Chirrpy chirrpy cheep cheep..

Where's your discus gone?

Far far away:D

Ha - sorry - it's just the first thing I thought of when I saw the typo!

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------