style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5954 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Im new on here and have spent the last few hours reading through all the post and have taken in a lot of infoamtion.

I had a letter put through my door while at work today stating that Jacobs called for a debt relating to Council Tax from 2001-2002.

I called Leeds Council straight away as i was not aware of the debt.i called them to sort out a payment arrangement and they said that they could not help and said now it is with the bailiffs and i have to dela with them.Now the guy from Jacobs i called him and he said he is coming back on Wednesday to see me.

Now i know not to let him in the house and i really want to pay it through the council but not too sure what to do.The amount is for 400.00 and i have been really stressing out at work all day and i am really worried about speaking to this guy when he comes on Wednesday.

Any help with be really good.

Thanks

Guest ChloeJane

Hi there,

Firstly you need to make sure the person is certificated and has a right to collect on the debt. By law a Bailiff must be certificated to collect on council tax debt. If you telephone 0207 210 0516 ask for Denise Falkner giving the Bailiffs name and company.

Secondly, if £400 is what is owed I assume that is the full amount owed to the Council? Do you need time to pay this? or are you looking to pay the council directly?

Hi thanks so much for the quick reply.People seem really helpfull on here.

Yes 400.00 is the full amount and my situation at the moment means i cannot afford to pay it all in on go.

I will give that number a ring thankyou and find out straight away and reposrt back here.

Thanks so much

Hi there,

Firstly you need to make sure the person is certificated and has a right to collect on the debt. By law a Bailiff must be certificated to collect on council tax debt. If you telephone 0207 210 0516 ask for Denise Falkner giving the Bailiffs name and company.

Secondly, if £400 is what is owed I assume that is the full amount owed to the Council? Do you need time to pay this? or are you looking to pay the council directly?

PM tomtubby and ask for her advice. Trust me.

Well Wednesday is here and im waiting around in my house for the bailiff to call for the second time

I sent an email to the bailiffs in question saying that i will not be allowing entry into my house when the bailiff calls and that i am trying to deal direct with the council.Had no response from that!

I have called the council and i got the worst person i have ever spoken to on the phone.He just kept saying its with the bailiffs now and you have to pay them.

I explained my situation and how much i can afford to pay etc but no luck.

Im really worried now as well as the person at the council said the bailiff can just look through the window and see what is in my house then call back later and take the good for the debt. I dont know if to belive him or not as surley since he works for the council he has to be right!!!!

Thanks

Guest ChloeJane

If I read this again I think I will blow a fuse!

NO a Bailiff cannot peer through a window and take inventory! It amazes me that Councils are not only so rude but so stupid as to advise wrongly.

I will post back legislation that backs that this whole statement is false. The Councils really need to look at legislation and advise properly. Bear with me will post back.

Modaboy,

While it's fresh in your mind, write down all the details of your conversation with the council worker. What they said is unbelievable and I would put a complaint in straight away.

If possible, could you go to see the council face to face? Some people have done this and have insisted that the council take a payment over the counter, and give you a receipt.

If you can persuade them to take a payment you can tell the bailiffs that you are paying the council direct and will only pay them for their bailiff charges, which should not come to much so far. A warning, though - you must make sure that the council take the payment for your 2001/2 arrears, NOT this or next year's CT, as they may try - and get this in writing!

If the council do not accept a payment over the counter, take the name of the person involved, record the time and details of what they said - this will demonstrate to any judge your willingness to pay what you owe - and the obtuseness of the council, if any further action is taken.

This is just one idea but it is a route that has worked for others on the site.

Cheers, BAE

Thanks Bae and ChloeJane for the advice. I am going to go down to the council first thing on Monday and pay an amount over the counter and see what happens from there. Im also putting a complaint in writing to the council about what the person i spoke was talking about.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all just an update.

From all your advice and help Jacobs now have a hold on my account which the lady on the end of the phone told me the council have requested.

Im hoping this is in response to the several conversations i have had with the council and the letters i have wrote as well.

Been trying to ring the council all day to find out if they have acepted my payment offer or not but they are so busy.

Thanks

Daniel