Provident Pers. Credit help/advice please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5979 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, this is my first post,

I am looking for advice on how to proceed with letters that are being sent to my wife from a debt collection agency.

The circumstances are that approx. five and a half years ago just before she met me she took out a loan with provident personal credit, the loan was supposed to be paid off weekly, but in the 10 months that i lived at her house i did not see the collector once. After living together for 10 months i bought a house in my name and we both moved in to this house and the loan was forgotten. We married a year ago and then in October 07 my wife received a letter from buchananclark+wells stating that my wife owed them over 1000 relating to a provident personal credit debt. The letter was returned to sender with "Not Known at this address" on it which is kind of true as she now has my surname.

Another letter arrived this morning from a different debt collection service for the same debt stating that we had not replied and it is in our best interest to contact them within 10 days to avoid action being taken.

As they are chasing a debt in my wifes maiden name can we return the letters with not known at this address or is this being unrealistic ?

as far as i understand it, as the last payment on the loan was 5 and half years ago in six months time this debt cannot be chased.

any advice on how now to proceed gratefully received

Thanks

As it's in her maiden name you can return them as you are technically not supposed to open another persons post. Also it seems that the debt might be statute barred (or very near it) which is why you are being chased.

The people they threaten to send round have no rights and will only be coming to see if it is worth chasing you ie you might have a flat full of nice stuff and they might get their moneys worth threatening pre-bailiff visits.

Read the threads on this forum and somebody will come along with more advice later on.