Another Global Debt Recovery

Retch

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5036 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received a letter dated 26th November 2007 alleging that I owe £452 to Global Debt Recovery. I rang them up and it turns out that I owed Lloyds TSB money on a bank account in 1993 (ish). I don't remember ever having an overdraft or loan agreement of any kind with LTSB. I did open a bank account, back then when I got my first job that paid salary by BACS. Not long after though, I went to college and got a Career Development Loan through the Barclays Bank and I was using an account with Barclays. I simply stopped using the LTSB account and honestly forgot all about it. This would have been around 1994/1995.

There are no adverse debts or information registered against me with Experian. I don't even know yet how much the original debt is for, what charges or interest is involved, whether LTSB attempted to take me to court over it, or if the debt has been registered in the past. If it was registered previously, it's clearly more than 6 years old.

I've told Global three times, (by phone), that I believe the debt to be statued barred. All three of the agents tried the same tactic by saying, "you borrowed the money but didn't pay it back". One of the agents event went as far as saying that, "You need to look at Section 32 of the Limitation Act because you didn't tell the bank you moved address." The same agent even tried to convince me that even if the debt was statued barred, global would still try to recover the debt, that the debt could be registered against me and that if I didn't pay, the debt could be referred to other collection agencies. Needless to say, I'm not going to bother contacting these morons by telephone again.

I've taken a letter from this website:

Debt Factsheets - Main Menu

I've emailed Global with the letter, plus I have hand written and signed a copy, which I photocopied before posting. I don't know what their response will be or what I should do next. I am not sure whether I should ignore Global completley and make contact with LTSB to dispute the matter? Or contact Global again in writing, demanding proof they actually own the debt and didn't just acquire a debt that's been previously written off by LTSB?

I'm aware that if Global do legally own the debt but it's statued barred, they can still attempt to recover the money from me indefinitly. But without legal proceedings. Naturally this would be like some bloke in the street walking up to me and asking me for £452.00

I'd only have two words for that guy....

Get Stuffed.

Sounds like it's Statute Barred to me. I don't know which letter you're sending, but letter M from here is a good guide tothe kind of thing to send:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

Put at the top: I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOUR COMPANY

Edit: I see you've sent this. I'd leave it and see what they come back to you with.

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

If I've been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

Oh - yes - and don't phone them. Add in that you will only speak to them in writing.

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

That looks fine, retch. I'd wait to see what Global do now. I know it's a horrible time of waiting, but you have the law on your side. Yes, you owe this money (except for any unfair charges that may have been added), and they canask for it, but they cannot hound you for it.

Let us know how you get on.

xx