Continued broadband problems...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5957 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have installed new router, bought & replaced all filters/splitters at UK-O's insistence...

STILL.... It's a pile of Sh**e! Dropping connection and refusing to hold a connection... Even down to 128Kbps!!

Hopefully back soon...?!! :oops:

Best to all..... Dave... :D

Is it a wireless box?. It maybe the channels need altering Dave. In the set up of the router, you may have to fiddle with the channel set up to get a better signal.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

ooo how does one do that UK, I have a linksys wireless G ADSL 2/2+ router, which wont allow me to use the lappy in the living room, which it really should do

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

It's not wireless, it's a Binatone ADSL USB modem, the problem is there on my back up modem too and now i've changed all the splitters the problem is still there. BT have said there's no problem with the line and still refuse to come and look. :-x

What is your ISP, Dave?

I'm using AOL broadband on BT phone-line. I get a good 5.5 Meg, which is as much as the line will support.

I very rarely have problems with it. Using a Speedtouch router with four PCs networked. (Wired network connections).

Mind you, I don't use any AOL software, which I regard as a virus, just using the connection.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

My problems started when I changed from Freeserve to Bulldog in 2005, I do remember that Bulldog do (did) something with their own equipment at the exchange to make the service compatible, and when I got fed up of the problems and god-awful customer service and changed to UK Online the problems have continued and can be so bad that I actually gave up playing poker online because the drop outs were costing me big money games.

Problems... Attempted solutions...

• Connection constantly dropping
  • Or - Unable to get a connection at all
  • Same problem exists using desktop or laptop
  • Even drops out at 128Kbps!!
  • Have tried connecting directly to test socket
  • Have tried a different ADSL USB modem
  • Have changed all ADSL filters

Tonight has been good, been on 4 1/4 hours now without a drop.. :)

Do you get any noise on the line when using the phone? If you do, that will certainly cause trouble with a digital signal. Ask BT to increase the gain on the line. It might not cure the problem but it certainly won't make it any worse.

Do you know whether the cable between you and the exchange is copper or aluminium? If it's aluminium, you might as well forget it..... it's useless.

I'm not familiar with UK Online. Is that BT? You really need to be pugnacious. Insist that they come up with a solution or else you will report them to (OFTEL?) or whoever the broadband regulatory body is and you will consider cancelling your contract and going elsewhere.

Bear in mind, if they start quoting minimum contracts that they are not supplying you with the service you are paying for....hence THEY are in breach of the contract.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

with isp's that rely on a BT telephone connection alot depends on how far you are from the main exchange .... I know If we were to go change to a 'BT' line connection they cant garentee our speed as we are too far from the main exchange ....... plus it would cost us £120 connection fee as some kind sole years ago removed our line from the house to the pole .....

OK time for a stupid suggestion.

UNplug everything then plug a filter into the MAIN test socket and see what you get connection wise.

If this works them slowly start replugging stuff, checking the connection as you go.

If you are lucky it maybe something this simple that resolves the issue.,

Remember things like Sky box, faxes, and any alarm systems.

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

This might be worth a try, but not sure: DSL ZoneUK - Improve your speed - Extension wiring and Disconnection help

I managed to get another 2 mbps out of my connection by optomising the cabling !!!

Give this test a try as it may simply be a noisy line: BT Line Tests (quiet line/distance from exchange etc) - The Scream!

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

Very useful. :D

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Following Ben's instructions, all I get is hearing the slightest bit of line noise with the extension from the main socket to the kitchen, the master socket is totally silent.

Next ?? Replace the extension? Which will be a major task! :mad:

Let's hope that real people can sort it out, once and for all.

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

I do believe i'm onto something!!

Having a hunt through our own broadband forum I stumbled upon a post...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/broadband-other-internet-issues/121688-bt-engineer-charge.html

My master socket supplies not 2 but 3 'phones, 2 before going to the computer and 1 after hitting the computer.

I've changed the configuration so that it hits the computer 1st and left the 'phone on that it hits after the computer.

Gone back to instant connections, seamless surfing and, touching wood... No drop outs!!

Let's hope this is the beginning of the end??! :) Going for some voddy & lager to celebrate..! :grin:

Yeah, seen it already Ben, desperately needed to get the connection sorted first though! Will certainly be coming back to it as/when this is sorted! :cool:

On this link though....

BT Line Tests (quiet line/distance from exchange etc) - The Scream!

The info' is nigh on 6 years old and you can only perform the quiet test without entering an authorised mobile 'phone number first.

If all goes well now... I may even be able to rekindle my poker career! :eek: :grin:

Thanks much! - Dave..

On a p.s. note, I came across an avatar that instantly made

me think of our very own jonni...!! :D

ROTFL!!

Direct link....

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w289/diskmandave/avatar6_1.gif

Sorry John, couldn't help! :p

Dave the only test you are interested in is the Quiet Line Test, the others aren't of interest.

The master socket / test socket is completely silent... :)

Ps I don't think poker would be such a wise idea, unless it's for play money ;)

B4 I came to CAG I had a good up & coming career in online poker for real money, the constant drop-outs and re-connect refusals forced me to quit, just for example... My last hand of online poker saw me holding a Full House, Queens and Two's... Connection dropped, refused to re-connect, result being that I was timed out of a £25K multi table competition of which my hand would have taken me to 2nd position...

But we're not bitter!! :p