• Tweets

• what solicitor is the PAPLOC from? then just search xxxx snotty letter dx  
    • moved to the debt self help forum. plenty of like threads here to read along with the ones you've done so far..good work. last thing you ever want to do is look at any kind of IVO/BK or anything alike concerning consumer debt, never do that, turns unsecured debts into secured ones in many instances. your best bet for now is p'haps looks at  Options for dealing with your debts: Breathing Space (Debt Respite Scheme) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) sadly you have to go thru one of the free debt charities to invoke that but DON'T be tempted to also open up a DMP with them, just get the Breathing Space done. get that in place that gives you at leasy 60 days buffer you've also goto to realise you'll probably get a default once breathing space is in place, bit if not it might pay you to withhold payments even after BS then p'haps re start payments once a DN for each debt is issued and registered. at least that way, whatever happens in 6yrs the debt will drop off dx  
    • Hello, I am a private seller and recently sold a pair of trainers on eBay.  Everything seemed fine until just after the eBay 30 day mbg had expired.  The buyer contacted me with photos showing me that both shoes had ripped.  He wanted his money back, and after refusing to refund him, he then left me retaliatory and defamatory feedback on my profile to the effect that I had sold him fake trainers (this was removed by eBay).  He then initiated a chargeback via Paypal.  Invariably, the outcome was in his favour, and I have now been charged for the cost of the trainers.  I would have also been stung for the chargeback fee, but eBay refunded this.  Incidentally, I do have the email receipt of the trainers from when I bought them from a well-established and bona fide online retailer.  The susbequent conversation with eBay followed its predictable course, i.e. the chargeback is out of their hands etc. I have been in contact with citizens advice, and my bank.  Citizens advice told me that as a private seller I'm responsible for the "Title and description" of the goods, but not the performance, or the fitness for purpose.  To me it is clear; if you receive something that's not as described, you don't then use the goods, and more than 30 days later claim 'not as described'.  In my mind, this makes the claim fraudulent.  He's used the 'they're fake' card to give credence to a 'not as described' claim here, obviously, without any evidence.  My understanding is that the chargeback is unlawful, because the trainers were shipped as described.  However, I read something on an eBay forum regarding sellers having no statutory rights, i.e. no right to appeal against a chargeback decision, or to complain to the financial ombudsman.  Does this mean that if my bank disputes the charge on my behalf, it will be to no avail, even if it's recognisably a fraudulent chargeback?  I have reported it via the Action fraud website. Any advice, anyone?  Would be most grateful!
    • Thank you, I have drafted my letters and started to complete the reply form, printed from this site and not using the one they provided.    2 questions, on the forum link it says to tick box D & I, the reason for box D will be given on my thread, what would my answer be to "I dispute the debt"?  Do I send anything for the Vodafone debt they have included?  I've only done 118 loan s. 77 & capital one credit cards so. 78    Thank you  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

MBNA/Restons CCJ/ CO

phatram
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3470 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

1. I **** ********* the Defendant , am a litigant in person in this case. I make this Witness Statement from information and facts within my own knowledge and which I believe to be true. I do not believe a Summary Judgement should be granted for the following reasons.

2. I believe I am a victim of MBNA’s predatory tactic’s, where they lure consumers to them with offers of low rate credit cards only for MBNA to increase the rates of interest deliberately to an unaffordable amount. I also believe that they increased the rates as a retaliatory act after I successfully claimed back some unlawful late fee charges and complained to MBNA about this in September 2007.

3. I made a request to MBNA EBL in November 2007 asking them to supply me with copies of

the credit agreements for my two credit card accounts MBNA ABBEY and MBNA VIRGIN . The reason for this was to enable me to check they were within their rights to increase the interest rates by so much on said accounts. The agreements supplied were illegible so I put the accounts into dispute in December 2007. MBNA eventually supplied legible copies only after the intervention of the Financial Ombudsmen Service.

4. MBNA EBL continued to add interest, late charges and overlimit fees to both accounts after I disputed them which I believe is wrong and against guidelines when accounts are in dispute or at least was at that time.

5. The amount Restons state I owe is incorrect. The amount has varied from over £12000 to under £10,000.I believe it to be much less than this.

6. I then started to receive threatening letters and many, many telephone calls from MBNA EBL, which I and my family found to be intimidating, disruptive and harassing.

7. I made a complaint to the Financial Ombudsmen Service about MBNA in May 2008 which resulted in MBNA refunding amounts of money to both accounts.

8. Since the FOS investigation MBNA/RESTONS have failed to contact me to discuss repayment of any amount I may owe.

9. The Default Notices sent to me were invalid, in that both failed to allow enough time to rectify the situation and the amounts owing shown were incorrect and I have never received a Termination Notice.

10. I disagree totally with Restons statement regarding refunds paid to the accounts. I am in possession of a letter, dated Monday 28 June 2010, from Mr J T Wild, stating that both accounts had been credited “with refunds of Payment Protection Insurance premiums”.

11. Restons have failed to provide me with evidence of how much I owe and there is no figure in their Witness Statement

Just a quickie for gh2008.

(2) If the applicant wishes to rely on written evidence in reply, he must –

(a) file the written evidence; and

(b) serve a copy on the respondent,

at least 3 days before the summary judgment hearing.

If they objected to my late WS, could I bring up the above ? My wife is sure I didn't receive their WS until after the original hearing was due to be heard. Proving that of course would be a different matter.

diddydicky said:
if i received that i would believe that you were running scared!!

re word it

Would you elaborate please?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no the indemnity principle means that the winning party is entitled to be indemnified from their bill of costs by the loser.

the party is entitled to recover their reasonable costs, the court will assess the bill of costs to ensure it is reasonable, but this will not drop the bill dramatically, you need to be aware of this, the court may shave £10 here and there id suggest

Prove what?

Restons will serve a costs schedule of the costs of the work undertaken on behalf of the Claimant, this is what Restons are going to charge the Claimant

if you lose the indemnity principle comes into play, and you will face paying the costs the court deem reasonable

you can no more get therm to prove these costs as you can demand tescos tell you how much they buy Heinz baked beans for from Heinz. the price is the price, and that is the same hear really, the key is that the costs need to be reasonable

if you have written a number of letters to them then they can charge for reading, considering and replying to them

like wise their discussions with the claimant, and dealing with documents etc, are all chargeable.

you will get a chance to challenge the costs if they seem unreasonable

no but the judgment that is standing is currently binding ont he lower courts as it was a High Court Judgment

True pt, and I for one am not having high hopes for this one especially after such bad loses of a few High Court case judgments last year.

as i read the brandon judgement- the judge made much of the fact that several months passed before the agreement was terminated- during which brandon could have addressed the DN

I would personally be making a strong argument- in a case where the creditor terminated at or soon after the expiry of the DN that the circumstances are not the same

i would also argue (and point out to the judge that this forms part of the appeal ( i hope)- that the strict requirements of the act were put in place- even if it meant a windfall for the debtor- in the eider general interest- and that if a creditor sends a default notice in the prescribed form- as he is required to do.....in order that . that the debtor .not being as financially or legally sophisticated......is left in NO DOUBT as to what he must do and what the consequences are

thus if a debtor receives a statutory notice from the creditor stating that he must do this that or the other failing which the creditor WILL terminate the agreement- then it is reasonable ffor the debtor to think and believe that this is what will happen

faced with a deadline of 14 days to raise a large amount of cash- a debtor may well make a transactional decision to "throw in the towel" since he cannot raise such a sum in such a short space of time- he could also argue that he could not even arrange an appointment with a legal advisor in less than 4-5 days to take the advice which the leaflet sent with the DN contains

the proposition that the debtor should- in order to rescue the creditor from his failure to adhere strictly to the requirements of the consumer credit act...........use some hitherto unknown powers of clairvoyance- come to the conclusion that the the notice is in fact after all not an important notice that is not strictly adhered to.........or that he should second guess just how long the creditor might leave the termination- after he has clearly stated he will do upon the expiry if the statutory period of time- is- in my opinion utter poppycock.

If parliament had intended that the creditor might, at some point in the future- terminate the agreement or claim entitletment to the benefits of s87 - and the debtor must "best guess" whether he had sufficient time to do so- again is utter poppycock

brandon ruling or no brandon ruling - i would still argue the point on the facts of THIS case- not the facts of brandon.

the "ruling" as i said (IMO) was made by the judge on the basis that brandon had many months after the DN to remedy it before amex claimed entitlement to the benefits of s87

furthermore- it should also be argued that if a debtor made a payment after the expiry of the time limit stated in the DN- it is highly likely- indeed it is almost a foregone conclusion that the creditor- who after all is realy seeking to reclaim immediate payment of the whole debt............ would simply "seize" the funds submitted and STILL claim entitlement and say to the debtor "sorry chum"- you did not comply in time- but thanks for the downpayment- now pay us the balance which is legally due to us

- if the creditor has failed to give the statutory 14 days after service and/or has terminated before the 14 days- then as far as i am concerned i would want to drill that argument home hard in court since it would form the basis of an appeal iof the judge ruled against the will of parliament

I believe a lot of people have been put off by the Brandon case but each case should be judged on its on merit IMO. As everyone is not like Brandon and everyone has different circumstances. The judge in Brandon believed that he suffered no prejudice, so may be that is a hint........if someone did suffer prejudice and can prove it then maybe that may be enough to get them on the right track.

I believe a lot of people have been put off by the Brandon case but each case should be judged on its on merit IMO. As everyone is not like Brandon and everyone has different circumstances. The judge in Brandon believed that he suffered no prejudice, so may be that is a hint........if someone did suffer prejudice and can prove it then maybe that may be enough to get them on the right track.

well the "prejudice" could/would be that....faced with 14 days and perhaps the earliest a legal advisor could be seen (try getting a CAB appt in 14 days!) and/or the fact that there is no way that the funds demanded could be raised within the 14 days (why else would the debtor be receiving a DN?) then he makes a "transactional" decision to throw the towel in...............thus he has been misled and misinformed by the creditor

LIP's should (IMO) make great store when arguing against a defective DN that the creditor has been pursuing the debt- often for maybe up to a year or so before he sends the DN and that it would not take a rocket scientist to both comply with the requirements of the CCA AND give a reasonable amount of time for the debtor to find the funds- to have actually given the debtor a longer period of time to remedy

(i notice that some lenders are actually now giving 28 days as a norm - to avoid argument as to whether the statutory amount of time has been given)

if the creditor intended not to actually claim his entitlement for say 1/2/3 months after the expiry of the DN- and told the debtor in the DN .........that he had 28/56/90 days to remedy the default - then the debtor may well have tried harder to try to arrange funds to remedy the DN

if the creditor serves the DN- does not terminate for 1/2/3/6 months or whatever- but continues to add charges and interest to the account - i would say that is predudicial to the debtor- since - as previously stated- if the creditor does not tell the debtor when he will terminate- and the debtor cannot be expected to Guess when- then an "open cheque" is presented to the creditor

if i was a creditor with a £4500 debt after a DN- and was so minded- i might deliberately avoid claiming the benefits of s87 until such time as i had racked up enough interest and costs to push the figure over £5000 and into some big legal expenses in court.- and that is not prejudicial to the debtor??

the act clearly intended that the DN was the "last straw" and that the creditor should be bound by what he tells the debtor within the DN- - which is usually- clear the arrears or we will terminate/claim early repayment.

this would then leave the debtor with negotiating a repayment plan on a debt on which no interst accrues(since the agreement is then ended) - or invites the creditor to sue him on the basis that he cannot afford the repayments that the creditor may demand-

if the creditor then waits another year before taking legal action- and tries to rack up the costs- when the debtor had made it clear that he could offer only what he could afford- then i think he could argue in court that any extra costs incurred since he invited the creditor to seek a ccj could be defended

bear in mind that the reviews currently underway are aimed at addressing this VERY point- that creditors must stop making debts worse when it is clear that the debtor is in difficulty and therefore this argument should find favour

as i said before- the act REQUIRES the creditor to leave the debtor in no doubt as to what is required/the consequences and IMO the same arguments as used in wilson ( windfall the the debtor- due to the creditors failure to comply with legistlation - ) should be claimed

Edited by diddydicky

i agree

but my point is that if you roll over and take the view that because someone else lost on the point- therefore you may as well not bother............... well the one thing in life that is cast iron guaranteed- is that the judge wont offer to make the defence for you!!

wilson was house of lords if i remember so overrides the soon to be appealed appeal court decision and as i said the judge in brandon (correct me if i am wrong) based his decision on the DN on specific facts of that case that would not necessaily apply- and ceertainly not if the creditor has terminated before the time he allowed for remedy (as would be the case for example in MANY nationwide DN's

The court ordered that these two accounts should be heard as one case. One of them is much less than £5k (about£2k). What would the costs situation be if this was heard seperately?

Been to court, agreed to pay off what I owe at £100 a month, got £1000 off the costs. They may(will) go for a charging order but no other action as long as I make the monthly payments.

Been to court, agreed to pay off what I owe at £100 a month, got £1000 off the costs. They may(will) go for a charging order but no other action as long as I make the monthly payments.

if you have made this arrangement subsequent to them obtaining a ccj and this £100 offer was made with the court then the creditor CANNOT apply for a charging order unless you fail to comply with the order.

i suggest in that case you set up a SO to be paid at least a week before the due date to allow for banking delays

if they have no CCj then they cannot apply for a charging order and can only take a charge on your property with your consent

if you have an agreement in writing- the chances of them then revoking the £100 payments in order to take you to court and get a ccj and demaning higher payments would be IMO zero

if that helps

• 2 weeks later...