• Tweets

• Are these the important pages I need to upload ? 1.  pages 1-4 are court form 10a 2.  2 pages of the CCA agreement  3.  Default notice from NewDay, 22/02/20 4.   Lowell letter stating they own debt ,     Dated 16/11/20 5. Unheaded letter also dated 16/11/20 from NewDay saying they assigned “all of the respective rights etc,”  to Lowell on 23/10/20 I make this 9 relevant pages from what I can see   ( all other pages are statements/default notes and lots of FCA info sheets) just needing your confirmation in advance as I don’t want to send over pages that are not required thank you  UCM      
    • Just out of curiosity aesmith - are you a lawyer?
    • I spoke to a pro-bono entity this afternoon.  They advise I must initiate a claim in the court v the receiver if I want to then file an application for an order for sale.  I must have a claim/ proceedings to be able to force a sale. The judge in the current proceedings  has told me that I cannot force the lender to sell and the lender cannot interfere either.   If the receiver isn't acting correctly and isn't selling - this means I must make a claim against the receiver I could initiate a claim. Or much quicker  - the other entity - with a charge already - could use that to make an application for an order for sale.
    • Thanks Dave It's not too far away, about 8 or 9 miles, so I will probably venture over on my bike if I can't think of a good reason to drive there again! I'll have a chat with Mrs GB_Joe tomorrow and see which shops they visited, I know M&S was on the list (had to try on multiple sets of trousers!) and they are actually in that bit of retail park. The uniform shop is across the way in the Meridian Centre, so probably not helpful to get them involved.
    • As they have failed to deliver their original PCN you will need to send them an SAR where they should provide that PCN. It should show the address they used . If it is not your current one that would explain the non delivery. If it was correct then perhaps the Post office messed up. A more cynical view would be that UKPC didn't send it so that you couldn't claim the reduction. It appears that UKPC have been there for some time  but I have been unable to find any pictures of their Notices.The leisure park itself is pretty big so while some parts maybe give 5 hours free parking other parts may have restrictions like permits. I haven't been there for years -I went  to Nandos and the bowling centre . I am surprised that they are now infested with UKPC as the place is plenty big enough not to require their dubious services. If you live not to far away it would help if you could get some legible pictures of their signs. Be carful to park in an area that doesn't require a permit and take photos of the entrance signs, the five hour sign and the permit only sign as well as any other signs that are different from the previous signs. Also if their is a payment machine could you please photograph that.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

MBNA/Restons CCJ/ CO

phatram
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3464 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Should I make the offer or not? the DN's are I believe incorrect. One "agreement" is an application form and clearly states that. Could I win a court case 'cos of the Default notices being incorrect? etc etc

Blimey phatram, subbed to your thread but you must be frustrated with the lack of response. Somebody better qualified than me should reply, and in these circumstances I would use the red triangle on the left to get attention. It's worked for me when I needed help in the past and noone answered.

Best of luck.

Exchange

Should I make the offer or not? the DN's are I believe incorrect. One "agreement" is an application form and clearly states that. Could I win a court case 'cos of the Default notices being incorrect? etc etc

Phatram, in what way are the default notices incorrect ? Can you pop a link to them if they are already on your thread somewhere.. or post them up if they arent :)

Here is what BRW has to say about Default notices on another thread :)

Obviously the dates in respect of the DN below are specific to the other user.. but it gives you an idea of what to look for.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-2832151.html

Hello E!

The above s87(1) Default Notice, assuming they sent it via normal Post, is clearly defective because it has not allowed you the 14 clear days that Parliament demands must be the case.

01/09/2009 is a Monday, so if we assume they posted it via 1st Class Post, and did actually Post it on the Monday, then it works out like this (if they cannot prove they Posted via 1st Class, or you have the Envelope and that shows 2nd Class or worse, then 2nd Class will have to be assumed by the Court which makes it even worse for them, see the second table of dates below this one):

Quote:

s87(1) Default Notice if Posted via 1st Class Post

01/09/2009 Mon = s87(1) DN Date and Date of Posting 1st Class (if they can prove it).

02/09/2009 Tue = DN in transit +1 day.

03/02/2009 Wed = Date of Service (+2 days from Posting).

04/09/2009 Thur = 1st Clear Day

05/09/2009 Fri = 2nd Clear Day

06/09/2009 Sat = 3rd Clear Day

07/09/2009 Sun = 4th Clear Day

08/09/2009 Mon = 5th Clear Day

09/09/2009 Tue = 6th Clear Day

10/09/2009 Wed = 7th Clear Day

11/09/2009 Thur = 8th Clear Day

12/09/2009 Fri = 9th Clear Day

13/09/2009 Sat = 10th Clear Day

14/09/2009 Sun = 11th Clear Day

15/09/2009 Mon = 12th Clear Day

16/09/2009 Tue = 13th Clear Day

17/09/2009 Wed = 14th Clear Day

18/09/2009 Thur = The earliest day they can demand payment.

Thus, 18/09/2009 is the earliest date they should have stated on the above Notice, provided they sent it on the same day as it was issued, and they can prove it was Posted via 1st Class. If not, then move on to the 2nd Class schedule below:

Quote:

s87(1) Default Notice if Posted via 2nd Class Post

01/09/2009 Mon = s87(1) DN Date and Date of Posting 2nd Class.

02/09/2009 Tue = DN in transit +1 day.

03/02/2009 Wed = DN in transit +2 days.

04/09/2009 Thur = DN in transit +3 days.

05/09/2009 Fri = Date of Service (+4 days from Posting).

06/09/2009 Sat = 1st Clear Day

07/09/2009 Sun = 2nd Clear Day

08/09/2009 Mon = 3rd Clear Day

09/09/2009 Tue = 4th Clear Day

10/09/2009 Wed = 5th Clear Day

11/09/2009 Thur = 6th Clear Day

12/09/2009 Fri = 7th Clear Day

13/09/2009 Sat = 8th Clear Day

14/09/2009 Sun = 9th Clear Day

15/09/2009 Mon = 10th Clear Day

16/09/2009 Tue = 11th Clear Day

17/09/2009 Wed = 12th Clear Day

18/09/2009 Thur = 13th Clear Day

19/09/2009 Fri = 14th Clear Day

20/09/2009 Sat = The earliest day they can demand payment.

Thus, 20/09/2009 is the earliest date they should have stated on the above Notice, provided they sent it on the same day as it was issued, and they can't prove it was Posted via 1st Class, or you have the original Envelope that proves 2nd Class Post was used, or you have some other evidence that the Envelope was not Posted on the same day as it was issued (such as a Franking Date Mark that says 2nd September 2009 or later, in which case, the clock starts ticking later).

The reason I have typed the above, is so that you can see there is no way you have been allowed the 14 clear days if this Notice was sent to you via Post.

Your Strongest Argument

That defective s87(1) Default Notice is your strongest Application argument so, it's the one you hit them with first and hardest. Don't get bogged down saying too much else, otherwise you will just soften the impact of your main point. To ram that home, you must know the issues backwards, and be willing and able to make it clear that there can be no leeway on this issue.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with morals, so do not let the Judge try to get past this by saying daft things like...

Quote:

...were you going to pay it?

...you've spent it so you must pay it back.

That is not for the Judge to rule upon if the Notice is defective. The acid test is the Notice itself. Was it set out in the Prescribed form using the Prescribed words, did it accurately state what you had done wrong in relation to the Terms of the Agreement, did it accurately state the exact default amount they were entitled to demand that you pay and did the Notice give you 14 clear days?

If the answers to any of the above are no, then the Notice is defective, and the Claimant loses any right to enjoy s87 benefits. If the Agreement is also Terminated, either by a Termination Letter because they have taken enforcement action not otherwise allowed unless they had secured s87 benefits, then that Agreement is ended, and they cannot thereafter issue an effective s87(1) Default Notice.

Further Reading

You must read the Default Notice Thread by Surfaceagentx20, and you must read this case and include it with your Skeleton Argument (and send the enemy a copy well ahead of Court):

Woodchester v Swayne & Co [1998] EWCA Civ 1209 (14 July 1998 )

Note the Judge's comments about accuracy, i.e. if they ask for something to which they are not entitled then, in his Judgment, the Notice is defective.

Also, note that the Judge in that case does not say that a Court can overlook anything if it is de minimis, he only says they might overlook something...i.e. if the matter were very small. I would suggest that would be something like missing a full stop, or a minor issue like that.

Fighting a de minimis arugument:

Failing to set the Notice out in the Prescribed way, using the Prescribed Wording is not de minimis.

Failing to state what you have done wrong with accuracy in order that this fault can be remedied is not de minimis.

Failing to state the exact default sum you need to pay in order to remedy the default is not de minimis.

Failing to allow the Statutory number of clear days that Parliament demands that you must be allowed is not de minimis.

The Court cannot allow for any such errors, because there is nothing in either the Act nor the supporting Statute that permits any leeway. The phrase de minimis is not mentioned anywhere that matters. In any event, all this phrase means is a Court can overlook a very small matter that is of little concern.

If the Judge or the enemy try to use a de minimis argument, then ask them to direct you to the area of the Law that mentions they can do this? i.e. just so that you can direct people to this point later when the Appeal comes up!

But, seriously, get your ahead around this, and realise that there is no leeway if they get the Notice wrong. It cannot be fixed, unless they are entitled to issue an effective Notice, and to do that, the Agreement has to be live, which it cannot be if they have taken you to Court to demand early payment.

The Right to Demand Early Payment Depends on s87

The right to demand early payment is only available to them if they are already in possession of an effective s87(1) Default Notice that you failed to remedy once the Statutory time had elapsed. Without that, it's a Catch 22 situation for them, because they need an effective Notice to use s87 and, if they are found to have used s87 without an effective Notice, then they have clearly Terminated the Agreement via unlawful Rescission of Contract. That's because they have demanded something from you to which they were not entitled, so have shot themselves in the foot because it is then they who have broken the Agreement by doing this.

Secondary Arguments

Once you have banged home the above issue, then of course the next main points you can hit them with is their poorly pleaded Particulars of Claim (read CPR so that you understand CPR 16), and their monstrous attempt to try and make you pay s69 County Courts Act 1984 8% Simple interestin relation to a Claim that is based upon a Regulated Agreement.

Take a copy of this, and include it in your Skeleton [note s2(3)(a)]:

The County Courts (Interest on Judgment Debts) Order 1991

Minor Arguments

By all means mention the way they have behaved generally, but keep it short and sweet, and use this mainly to show how unreasonable they have been, and how Court could have been avoided had they acted more decently.

P.P.P.P.P.P.P.

Remember the above! Proper Prior Planning Prevents P*** Poor Performance!

Get your notes ready, then spend some time reading out aloud, from memory, what you want to say. If you stumble, then make some brief notes to help yourself. Then try again, and again, and again.

If you keep getting it wrong, then by all means draft a speech, and tell the Judge you are a Litigant in Person, unfamiliar with speaking in Court, so would the Judge mind if you read out your speech from your pre-prepared notes. Stand up, speak clearly and slowly, and state your case that supports your Application.

Make sure your Court Bundle is next to you, and practice how you can turn to anything you might need to refer to, such as CCA s87, CCA s88, the Statute on Default Notices [Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 SI 1983-1561], the above Case that covers Default Notices, and anything else you think would be useful.

A Quick Self-Test

To test yourself, try working out answers and strong counters to the following questions and invalid statements:

A Default Notice is not important, I can overlook that, what matters is the Agreement.

Point out that the proper execution of the Agreement is another matter, and does not affect the key issue over their loss of any right of action if they have failed to end the Agreement appropriately.

The Notice is dated the 1st and they want payment by the 15th, that's over 14 days, is it not. What's your problem?

Point out that's not allowing 14 clear days, see the Tables above based on 1st and 2nd Class Post, explain the way 14 clear days must be allowed, and the consequences of getting it wrong because they lose all s87 benefits for all time.

You clearly owed them money, are you denying that?

Point out that it is for the Claimant to prove that a properly executed Regulated Credit Agreement was made, and can be produced before the Court (CPR PD16 7.3), and then for the Claimant to prove they have secured a right of action to demand early payment of sums not otherwise due before they elected to end such an Agreement. Say you are not denying that an Agreement was made, but questioning if it was properly made, and if they have ended it in such a way that allows them to seek early payment of sums not otherwise due.

Demanding early payment is not enforcement, and does not end the Agreement.

Point out that the recent McGuffick case, and the latest OFT guidelines confirm that demanding early payment is enforcement, and requires s87 benefits. Those benefits are only secured by following s87 and s88 to the letter. Taking such steps without s87 benefits, is a breach of the Agreement on the part of the Creditor and amounts to an unlawful rescission entitling you to a valid Claim for damages against them for ending the Agreement in this way

The default sum is correct if they deduct the unlawful charges they have since offered to repay and/or have since repaid.

Point out that a bank is, or should be, in a position to get their figures right. Nobody would accept errors when checking their bank balance via ATM, so it's only reasonable that a bank should know, to the penny, what is owed at any one time. If they have made mistakes, or levied charges to which they were not entitled, then this destroys any credibility that the sum they claimed in the Notice was properly owing and due. The above Case makes it clear that demanding sums to which a bank is not entitled, will render any Notice defective on that basis alone.

The Default Notice is headed correctly, and you must've known what it was about, so why should I not overlook these minor errors that you say exist.

Point out that the wording of a Notice is Prescribed, there can be no room for error. If the Judge agrees that the Notice contains errors, and/or mistakes and/or has not allowed the Statutory time, then it can only be the case that the Notice is defective and must rule on that basis. To rule otherwise, needs to be supported, and say you cannot see anything in either the Act or supporting Statute that permits defects in a Notice to be overlooked. Direct the Judge to Swain...and have ready, read out aloud, some of the best and hardest hitting quotes from that Case.

So, start asking similar questions, and start thinking how you would counter them. Then go back and re-word your main opening statement so that you try to cover such issues before the Judge starts asking them!

The trick is to go in hard from the outset, and leave the Judge no sensible option but to agree with you! But do be ready to answer any questions, and field any fast balls the Judge shoots at you to probe any gaps in your Application's verbal opening statement on the day.

If you can spot a problem today, you can bet the Judge will spot it on the day. So keep going over this, and keep refining your line of attack until you have covered all the key issues. Then condense it so the Judge does not fall asleep while you read it all out!

I do hope this helps.

Cheers,

BRW

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Phatram, in what way are the default notices incorrect ? Can you pop a link to them if they are already on your thread somewhere.. or post them up if they arent :)

Here is what BRW has to say about Default notices on another thread :)

Obviously the dates in respect of the DN below are specific to the other user.. but it gives you an idea of what to look for.

Hi,

Don't want to hijack but it may help also.

If the above 2nd class or 1st class example (post 586) was posted on a friday....would the saturday and the sunday be 'in transit' days above the normal 4 allowed?

So: for 2nd class

Fri - post date

Sat - transit +1day

Sun - transit still day 1 ?

mon - transit day 2

tue - transit day 3

wed - date of service

or does sunday count so that tue would be date of service?

Cheers.

Edited by royalblue1878
post no'

Neither Saturday or Sunday (or bank holidays) count as 'transit' days. Posted on a Friday the service day is the following Tuesday for 1st class, Thursday for 2nd class, unless someone knows otherwise!

Phatram, you have definitely been short changed on both your DN's but I suspect MBNA have never put any termination in writing. This leaves them open to have another go at getting a DN right.

Hope this helps.

Exchange

Edited by exchange
clarification

RESTONS

SOLICITORS LTD

Trinity Chambers 800 Mandarin Court Centre Park Warrington Cheshire WAI 1GG Fax 01925 417517 DX 17770 Warrington

Please Reply To: Mr Direct Line 0870 755 9821

Email [email protected]

Our reference:

Wednesday May 14, 2008

Dear Sir

URGENT - For IMMEDIATE action

MBNA Europe Bank Ltd v. Yourself, ref. Overdue Credit Card balance Balance: We are instructed by MBNA Europe Bank Ltd to claim immediate payment from you of the balance outstanding on your Overdue Credit Card balance, £xxxx.xx , plus capitalised interest as appropriate.

You must now pay £xxxx.xx to this office by Thursday, May 22, 2008 failing which a summons will be issued for the full balance PLUS any continuing interest, fees and costs. A Judgment will be entered against you which will be registered. Your credit record will be affected making it difficult for you to obtain credit in future.

Our Client may be prepared to accept payment by instalments. If you wish them to consider this option please complete the enclosed questionnaire and return it to this office within 6 days. Unless we hear from you we may decide to telephone you on any number available to us. Alternatively please telephone us on the above DIRECT line within 6 days. All future correspondence/payments should be sent to this office clearly marked with your name and account number. Receipts will not be given unless specifically requested.

Finally, our Client has asked us to draw to your attention an opportunity for you to clear the account at a specially discounted settlement figure which could represent a substantial saving for you. If you are interested you should call the direct line listed at the head of this letter.

Yours faithfully,

Mr M Litigation Executive pp Reston's Solicitors Limited

Why would they offer to settle at a discounted figure?

Hi Phatram,

I recieved that same letter from Restons back in August 09.

I replied stating that 'due to my income I could only offer a token payment of a pound a month as previously stated. If my position changed then maybe I could offer more.'

They replied to say that 'my offer was not acceptable and MBNA have instructed them to commence legal proccedings'.

It is a standard letter they send maybe to pretend to be trying to do something to avoid court action.

If your happy to offer £50 a month and can afford it and they accept it then that is one way of avoiding any court paper tennis.

I got my court papers the next day.

Restons/MBNA will take you to the limit hoping you will cave in first. If you can't pay and you feel you have a good solid case then let them carry on.

In the end they had no CC agreement and discontinued their action a day before an application notice (to strike out) hearing.

The offer for a discounted figure is just to cut their 'losses' and looks good if it ever gets as far as a court hearing.

If you are happy to offer £50 a month and can afford it then that is one way to avoid any future court paper tennis. (providing they accept it)

Edited by royalblue1878
bottom bit

Don't waste your time looking for a termination letter from MBNA...........they don't send them.

However, look at this post as it explains MBNA's position once an account is "charged off" ( or terminated) - img011.jpg picture by paulbaxter009 - Photobucket

Both of the Default Notices are defective by the way. ;)

I've decided against making an offer. I want to become a thorn in their side and make them work for it. I want to make sure they've done everything correctly or my solicitor will have them. He thinks they could end up backing off if they think they may lose for any reason. I'm thinking of writing to Restons asking them to confirm the amount of the alleged debt and how they arrive at that figure. Anything else I should do?

• 2 weeks later...

I would assume you have attached conditions to that offer Phatram.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

No i mean your £50 a month offer.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

I haven't made any offer yet. After FOS case ended and MBNA said they would put everything back to how it was interest rate wise etc I thought they would write to me, they did not. I got a letter from Restons which I have posted up, since then I've heard nothing. I'm justing waiting to see what happens next.:D

Oh rite l thought you had wrote to restons offering £50 a month. Sorry my fault.