Thames Credit Limit - Prior addresses request.

Honeybunn
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5842 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I am being chased for a debt by Thames Credit Limit, I have been looking on this site for some time and used some of the advise given and requested that I did not acknowledge the debt unless they can send me a signed credit agreement and a deed of assignment. They have ignored my request and have now asked for my previous address details. I do not see how this relates to my request. Should I give them my previous address details or remind them that I have requested evidence that they actually own this debt?

Your help would be very appreciated.

Have you formally requested a copy of the CCA?

did you include the statutory fee of £1?

Sign nothing in any communication to these people, dont speak on the phone other than telling them that all communications should be in writing (so they cant dey what they said)

if not, there is a splendid templates library from which you would use letter N

ignore the previous post for the moment please

are you actually aware of any debt with Thames credit?

is there any other outstanding debt which they may have picked up?

if you do, how long is it since there were any payment or acknowledgement of the debt?

Hiya Honeybunn

I have dealt with Thames Credit myself and know what they are like. They can be slippery so you need to make sure you never speak to them on the phone, and all contact you have with them is in writing only.

I certainly would not divulge to them your previous address details.

Spamheed has asked some good questions about the alleged debt. Please let us know the situation as you see it so that we can advise you further.

Love Spiritgirl x

Please note I am not legally qualified, I am offering advice based on my own personal experience in the hope that it may be of help to others in a similar situation.

Thames Credit, in my experience, are almost impossible to deal with. They immediately have you down as a liar and a cheat and a won't pay, even if the debt is not yours. All they are interested in is getting the money (and they don't care how it's done) They are fishing for information. Give them nothing. They have to prove that the debt is there, that they have the right to collect it, and that you are the one who owes it. NEVER telephone this outfit. They are rude and unprofessional, as I have found to my annoyance

I am a lawyer, but I am an academic lawyer. I do not practice as a barrister or solicitor. You should consult a practising Solicitor BEFORE taking any Court or other action

They and the rest of their ilk are going to have to start to listen, with the help of media, t'internet and forums like this one, people are becoming a lot more aware of their rights

simply pointing at someone and saying "you owe me £xxxxx" is no longer acceptable.

They need to be aware that it's gonna come back and bite them in the bum sooner or later

If they can simply prove that they own the debt then there is nothing more that can be said

Thank you all for your comments, it's very reasurring to hear people are on the same wave length as I am. I asked them outrightly for proof they owned this debt via the below e-mail.

"In regard to your letter, I am afraid that I do not acknowledge the debt. I require you to send me a copy of the original agreement and a deed of assignment. This is my right under your obligation to supply a copy of the agreement under the legislation contained within s.78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 (s.77 (1) for fixed sum credit.

You are notified that you are obliged to supply these documents, whether you are the original creditor or not under S189 of the CCA 1974."

I had a few debts about 3 years ago and I couldnt afford them at the time and I moved around a lot. I am settled now and can afford these debts should they be proven they are mine but I dont want to be caught up paying these debt agencies without proof that they own the debt. So far Lowell contacted me and after I sent them £1 for the proof they never again contacted me! Thames are obviously playing a different game.

Dont yuse email, much better to use the postal service

You need to put in big bold letters, I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOUR COMPANY

don't sign the letter and ensure you enclose a postal order for £1 to cover the statutory fee, best to mention the fee in your letter as well

Thames Credit never have any documents they tend to harass people into paying them. When you request a CCA they will sell the information on to BCW and because they have no documents they will get GPB one sole solicitors to write to you and they will emphasize that the have instruction not to enter into correspondence with you, so you end up CCA them with no joy. The next step of their ploy is to pass you details on again to Scottcall who will threaten to do a door step call on you but this will never happen as they have no right to even write to asked you to pay them because they have no documents to back up their claims. What a load of crooks.:confused:

This is their game, for a long time they had things completely their own way.

Now, things they are a changin' they should know that you dont play games unless you know all the rules.

At the end of the day, if they want to go through the charade of pretending the desk next door is a completely different company. They know as well as we know, once someone in their chain of fictitious companies fails to fulfill their legal obligations, they get nowt.

I agree totally with you spamheed but in the meantime they are allowed to send out threatening letters never ending phone calls in the hope that they will break down the person at the other end of their game and it causes them so much stress and misery for months on end if not years. They practices should be illegal and they either should be fined heavily or go to prison for their deception.:idea:

Honeybunn

Thames will try to give you the runaround, but if you stick to your guns and deal with each issue as it raises its head, firstly submitting a CCA request to them , then you'll be fine and we will help you all the way.

Come back on and shout out when you need more help.

Love SG x

Please note I am not legally qualified, I am offering advice based on my own personal experience in the hope that it may be of help to others in a similar situation.

Thank you, you guys are great. I found with Llowell that as soon as I sent them the letter requesting my CCA along with a cheque for £1, I never heard anything from them again, which was very satisfying hopefully it wont come back to bite me in the butt and I hope I get the same verdict from Thames too. I'll keep you updated! :)

• 1 month later...

Thames Credit are still hassling me, it just goes backwards and forwards, I request my CCA and they ask me to call them to give them more information about myself! Everytime I write to them I tell them that I do not wish to have any contact via telephone. They are really beggining to frustrate me. Am I entitled to complain to a Financial Ombudsman or someone about this behaviour?

Thanks in advance for your help!

You should write to them, recorded delivery and ask them to send you their complaints procedure in writing within 7 days. if they don't then complain to the FSO and tell them that Thames are refusing to answer your complaints, or even to acknowledge that you have complaints against them. Thames has been reportesd to OFT on numerous occasions without anything happening to them. Perhaps the FSO will have more teethThames don't need any further information to send you the CCA. In any case, they were satisfied enough that you were the one they wanted, enough to start their campaign of harasssment.

I am a lawyer, but I am an academic lawyer. I do not practice as a barrister or solicitor. You should consult a practising Solicitor BEFORE taking any Court or other action

• 4 weeks later...

I got a reply from my letter back in January requesting their complaints procedure within 7 days, this weekend! They totally ignored everything I had said again and requested I advise them of my past address history as usual...

I have complained to the Financial Ombudsman as I gave Thames ample warning in my previous correspondence. I just hope that the FO agrees that Thames Credit should not be requesting further information from me, I assume that a company shouldn't really order someone to pay a debt if they are not 100% sure they have the right person.

I'll keep you posted :)

If they don't know 100% that you are the debtor in question, they should not be contacting you.

asking you to confirm your identity so that they can persecute you isn't just illegal, it's pointlessly stupid, it's like asking someone to stay still so they can hit you

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone, I thought I would let you know how this has turned out. I complained to the Financial Ombudsman and got my final response on Friday. Thames Credit were still trying to call me in the meantime thought but I was told by the ombudsman that I didnt have to take their calls. Basically Thames Credit have waived the debt, I guess in order to appease me and stop the Financial Ombudsman investigating them. I am happy with this outcome as it means no more hassle but wonder whether I should let the ombudsman investigate them fully, incase this might stop them from doing this to other people! I just hope that people will read this site and realise that there is a way to deal with these bully companies! Thank you all for your advise! :)