Disgraceful situation with son's bank

tinacee1

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5286 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son went to his Lloyds bank hole-in-the-wall to withdraw some money today 29th November 2007. I was with him as he had been to the doctors after being discharged from a lengthy stay in hospital. He could not get any money out so went into the bank to find out why. When the bank teller looked at his account she stated that all the money he had in his account (£250) had been taken out and paid online to a company called UNIBET INTERNATIONAL whom he had never heard of on 27th November 07. On closer inspection the card number on the statement was different from the card number on his card. The card number was the card number of the stolen Lloyds card which he had lost in November 2006 and which he had reported to Lloyds when he found it lost in November 06. When the cashier in Lloyds turned the computer screen towards us it showed onscreen the word STOLEN Card on his account next to a November 06 date.

We spent quite a long time getting through to The Debit Card Fraud Team from a room in the bank. My son started to explain what had happened and that he couldn't understand why the money had been released based on his stolen card details. The official at the Debit Card Fraud Team said the transaction wasn't authorised by them and that the money which was stolen would probably be put back into his account. As he is convalescing from a serious illness all this has just set him back again. How could this happen when he had reported the loss/theft of his card directly to his bank last year. He is very very apprehensive to allow any payments of his Invalidity Benefit to be paid into his account now and expressed this to the local Lloyds branch bank official who had been made aware of the situation. He asked if a new account could be issued but she was reluctant to do this. He then opened a Post Office account in order that payments could be made into a new account in the future as he has lost confidence in the bank.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Hello tinacee

I'm so sorry to read this story and can imagine how upset you and your son must feel about the whole saga.

If the monies are not forthcoming then I feel you have a good case to take to the Financial Ombudsman. Your son should write to his bank and ask them to send him their complaints procedure.

I'm glad he's opened a post office account for his benefits; I have one for mine too (I am on long term incapacity benefit) as I have had many issues with my bank in the past - strangely enough my bank is Lloyds TSB as well!! :rolleyes:

Personally I would put the whole situation in writing to the Debit Card Fraud Team and see what they come back with. I know your son has spoken to them on the phone, but personally I always think its best to get things written down so that you have something concrete to fall back on. Can your son get the name of the person who is dealing with his case there? I would address a letter to that person setting out the whole saga from start to finish (including of course Lloyds' total incompetence at allowing monies to go from that stolen card etc). You said the member of the Fraud Team commented that the monies would "probably" be put back into his account. This is why I think its important he states his concerns fully in writing, to ensure the monies DO get put back into his account forthwith. Also your son can then provide the FOS with copies of all correspondence regarding this whole affair.

I hope this helps a little.

Love Spiritgirl x

• Haha 1

Please note I am not legally qualified, I am offering advice based on my own personal experience in the hope that it may be of help to others in a similar situation.

thanks so much for your reply to me. I was up until 3.30 this morning putting together a letter to the bank on my son's behalf. I am going to run it past him when he gets up later this morning as he doesn't know I have done this yet.

He is convalecsing from a very serious illness and I fear this has really set him back again. Do you think I should enclose a letter from myself to the bank and to the woman from the fraud team expressing my disgust at the situation he finds himself in due to the bank error? He is upset but he is worried that I am making a fuss. We have had so much to cope with over the past few months because of Jon' s illness and I feel so strongly about this. What is your take on this as I am feeling so vulnerable myself and just want to do the right thing for my son.

I have the name and number of the woman in the fraud team that my son spoke to yesterday - I am in two minds whether to ring her. I have to find out her address to send the letter to anyway so I may have to speak to her anyway. Thanks so much for your help and advice I really appreciate it

Best wishes

Tina

Hi again Tina

First of all I would phone the woman and get her full address details. I would then send the letter to her by Recorded Delivery after you have run it by Jon and he's agreed to it and signed it.

It will do no harm whatsoever for you to write a separate letter as his mum, expressing the distress and upset this has caused. She may not reply to you due to the Data Protection Act as they should only discuss this matter with Jon, but in my opinion such a letter would be useful to send to the FOS to prove to them just what a detrimental effect this whole saga has had on not only your son, but you too.

I can understand why Jon feels he doesn't want a fuss made; as he's so unwell he's got enough to cope with bless him, but as his mum if you're prepared to do all the legwork - i.e., letterwriting etc then I personally feel you should go ahead as this has been an appalling situation which needs sorting out, and Jon needs to get his money back asap.

Tina, I have a son myself and I have sorted out many a financial matter for him too, so I know where you are coming from here. I did make a complaint myself to the Halifax regarding one of his accounts and the way he was being treated. They wrote back to me acknowledging my letter but stating that they could not discuss the issue with me due to Data Protection, which was fair enough, I just wanted my feelings known and I felt better for it afterwards, which I am sure you will too.

Please give my best wishes to Jon, and supportive hugs to you too Tina.

Any worries you just come on here and ask away, if I can't help there are lots of other great people here who will be able to.

Love Spiritgirl x

Please note I am not legally qualified, I am offering advice based on my own personal experience in the hope that it may be of help to others in a similar situation.

Many thanks for your swift reply to me. Your advice is very good and most reassuring and has taken a lot of pressure off me just having someone to run this by. Thanks for your supportive hugs and I will pass on your best wishes on to Jon when he wakes up. He went to bed at 10.00 last night which is early for him, but the events of the day really took their toll on him.

It's comforting to know that there are people like you out there

Love and best wishes to you and your family and many, many thanks again.

X Tina

Normally the bank have up to 8 weeks to resolve complaints, however in this situation a fraud has been committed which is entirely the banks fault. I would therfore give them a time limit of days rather than weeks to respond with an apology and a full refund of all monies or you will go to the obudsman and report them to watchdog. The more willing you are to exercise your rights the more likely the bank are to act in a speedy fashion.

This is entirely their fault. Answers such as the money will probably be put back in his account are totally unacceptable (even more so in your sons present condition).

Best wishes to your son on a speedy recovery and I hope you get this all sorted out soon.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.