Sports World returns

Elmpark
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4973 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all - joined this site today in the hope of finding out whether I have a leg to stand on re return of Golf equipment to Sports World stores.

Here's my email to Sports direct Customer services (who seem to own Sport World stores) - sorry it's long winded...!

Hi,

I've been advised by the manager at you Lakeside store that I cannot return Golf clubs that have been used. I would normally understand this matter if you had golf nets that you can try the equipment out on.

Because of this, a member of your staff at your Beckton store advised me that if I bought a Golf club I could try it at a driving range and if it did not suit return it for a CREDIT NOTE.

This is did - I bought a £40 Dunlop cube driver from your Lakeside store the following week that I tried once at the range and was bad quality. I retutrned this to your Lakeside store on Wednesday 28th. I received a credit note no problem. I then decided to spend £30 on two other drivers and hope that one would be ok. Both were very bad quality - indeed one may the most awful sound when hitting the ball. Unfortunatley both were of such bad design that they scuffed up - I had taken about 10 shots on each at the local driving range.

Your Manager at the Lakeside store that categorically told me that you do not take returns on used goods. Informing him that I had been told by a member of staff at Beckton meant nothing to him. I also informed him that I shopped extensivley at Sport Scoccer over the last few years, and that he would unfotunately lose my custom. But again, he just stated your 'Company Policy'

Can I return these goods as faulty? The build quality of the goods is very bad. If I can return them as faulty, I do not mind in receiving a Credit note which I will spend on golf clothing in the store - As I was told that is what I could expect, I have no problem in receiving a Credit note.

Please can you get back to me ASAP. I am normally happy with the quality and price of goods at your store. This has been one exception over a good few years and I hope you do not want to lose my custom as I spend a fair bit of money at your stores on golfing and clothes goods, for myself and my family.

I look forward to your reply

Now I know you pays your money and you takes your choice. But it's now a matter of principle. I feel so strongly I'm also looking to investigate whether they are in breach of trading standards re their sale pricing in their stores too. You know, 70% off these goods - I never see them on sale at that price!

I'd love to know if anyone else has had experiences with Sports World.

I think your issue with the second lot is to do with the quality (or lack of) and fitness for purpose. That is a different matter to the stores return policy, which is only additional to your rights. They should replace them - their "kindness" in allowing you to return the first set is immaterial.

Just additionally, I am aware that their refund policy is at managers discretion (where for example you change your mind). The rights referred to above are statutory rights (in your case I believe it would be the supply of goods and services act and not SoGA (though some dispute this), as you did not use money to buy these clubs. The effect however is exactly the same and at this point the actual Act is not really relevant so ignore all of that!.) Look at s. 14 of Sale of Goods Act for the relevant information relating to quality, fitness etc.

• 2 years later...

hi, i know your thread is a couple of years old, but just wanted to say that sports direct at the lakeside retail park (not the one inside lakeside itself) near blacks and currys etc.

The service at this store is ridiculous, on every occasion Ive shopped there whether its clothes to equipment, every single item ive bought from there has developed a problem, and the manager there some geezer called dennis (chinesey or phillipino looking) is a complete idiot, he almost smirks at you when he denies you your money back, makes you wanna smack him 1 in the mouth!

anyway i have decided not to spend my cash at this shop anymore, purely for my own sanity, yes the gear they sell is cheap and a fraction of the price of some high street stores, but im sure the company's buyers are getting 2nds into their stores and not telling the customers, the products are shoddy.

you have been warned:-x:-x:-x:-x:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::x:x:x:x:x:x