found real father. changed name legally - i ran away from a loan.

Alastrum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6017 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In 2001 I took a loan of £15000 from a major bank. In 2002 I got divorced, lost house and everything. My ex (who was foreign) promptly sold up and returned to her home country. A couple of months later, I was made redundant, and haven't worked since.

I ended up defaulting on the loan, as i just couldn't afford to pay the installments, and the bank were totally unsympathetic and refused to accept smaller payments. By the time of the default, the charges accrued on the loan brought it up to over £21000, despite having originally paid over £5000 back.

The debt was eventually sold/passed on to a DCA, who only ever sent a few threatening letters, then I never heard anything again: no visits, nothing. If a CCJ was ever issued against me, I was not informed.

In 2005 my life then took an unexpected turn, and I found my real father. To cut a very long story short, I ended up changing my name legally to match his. I now have new passport, bank account etc, and nothing remains in my old name. I must confess I negelected to inform the bank of my name change, although this wasn't deliberate; I just hadn't had any contact at all with them for a couple of years. I have also since moved house twice since changing my name.

I must stress that in no way was any of this deliberate: I didn't plan to avoid this debt, conceal myself, or to commit any kind of fraud, it just happened this way.

What I want to know is, how likely is it this debt will come back to haunt me? And if it does, what is likely to happen?

Because of my name change, I'm unable to check my old credit record, so can't find out if a CCJ was issued.

• dx100uk changed the title to found real father. changed name legally - i ran away from a loan.