style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5987 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What's the biggest Rip-Off?  

29 Caggers have voted

1. 1. What's the biggest Rip-Off?

• Bank Charges
    • Fuel Tax
    • Council Tax
    • Mobile Phone Contracts
    • Stamp Duty
    • Inheritence Tax
    • Capital Gains Tax
    • TV Licence
    • Railway Fares
    • PPI

So, what's the biggest rip-off in rip-off Britain?

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Yeah, I can only have 10 in the list :-(

...and you can only select one!

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

------------

No can do, it's the forum software.

------------

------------

Sory, I can't pick one from that list

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

If I've been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

So, what's the biggest rip-off in rip-off Britain?

I cannot believe everyone is picking faults here. Perhaps re-word your question Dave, eg If you had to score each of the above 1 to 10 (10 being the worst) and could only use each number once, please enter your poll answer to the one you scored at 10

Oh, I'm not picking faults. I couldn't even rate these 1-10.

I'm just agreeing with Dave - these, and more, are rip offs.

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

...or just keep adding them in this thread.

I know there are hundreds...

------------

------------

Good one, that's going in the list for CIDB.

CIDB.net - The Consumer Information Database

EDIT: It's a WIP, so don't expect everything to work 100% just yet! Probably by the weekend!

------------

------------

Impossible to pick just one!

A+L S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 28th July. Statements rec'd 01 Sept. Letter requesting repayment of £4,979 sent 18/09 MCOL sent 15th Nov £6389.57. Cheque received £6425.54 4th Dec.:D

MBNA S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 28th July, promised reply by 28th August. Cheque rec'd £250 31 Aug.:confused: . 2nd letter sent 7 sept for rest of charges to be returned. £243 rec'd 28th Oct:D

CCA sent 1st Credit 11th August, reply 15th Aug

Request for repayment Rooftop Mortgages for £1095, reply saying no on 17th Aug.

Still to come: Cap. One, Time retail, HFC Bank.

The price of fags and alcohol - boo!

(Hides from Bookie - I know I shouldn't smoke ...)

This one may not go down too well but I will suggest it anyway. Income Tax & National Insurance should be scrapped for reasonable earnings and replaced with higher VAT on non-essential items. That way, everyone pays for what they choose to use. People who work and struggle/those on benefits will only be buying basic necessities and in theory should save.

This one may not go down too well but I will suggest it anyway. Income Tax & National Insurance should be scrapped for reasonable earnings and replaced with higher VAT on non-essential items. That way, everyone pays for what they choose to use. People who work and struggle/those on benefits will only be buying basic necessities and in theory should save.

No.

I don't agree with that. As this is a tax on everybody, regardless of income. So the poor still have to pay tax (which represents a fair amount of their money), whereas the rich pay relatively little (in comparison to what they earn). In addition, not having much money does not necessarily mean that one does not sometimes want non-essential items.

Also, aktiv - how are you proposing to fund welfare? From this? Maybe you can do it. But I prefer a system which taxes the rich at source. Which is not to say that I agree with the way that taxation and NI is taken at the moment.

Hmm, you are getting very tired.....

I did say non-essential items.

Also an unspecified earnings ceiling before tax/NI.

No - it's still early - I'm not tired yet. I still don't see why we should pay more tax for "non-essential" items. And I don't trust the Government to define these. So, you might say that we are talking about a perfect government, but that's not a practical solution, is it? I assume we're talking about the world as it is, not as it could be.

I want a tax on earnings. I'm not against a meritocracy that rewards folk for hard work, but I'm not a libertarian - I hate Nozick.

You said nothing about an unspecified earnings ceiling.

Well I would kick some of the welfare state into touch (as you may have noticed on other threads). But other than that, there is enough information available to make it self funding.

Would I trust any Government not to use it as an excuse to make an extra few billion, probably not. The concept is to help those that work and struggle and those that really are unable to work.

The ceiling? Afraid that is complicated. I would have various ceilings depending upon relationships, children etc. For a ballpoint figure I was thinking of no tax/Ni for a couple with no children on earnings of around £25K.

Well, I'd have Tax/NI on couples without kids the same as two singles - but maybe there's a good argument for donig it together (not being rude - just have not given it much thought).

Why £25K though?

I'm all for helping those who are struggling, just don't see how a libertarian approach will do that.

For what it's worth, I'm not right wing (as you may have noticed). But I so think there are arguments for the welfare state that whould convince the most right wing.