HELP PLEASE! Council tax civil enforcement charges.

helencaunt
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6026 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi! I'm after some advice, maybe someone can help me?

3 weeks ago, we were visited by a representative of a company called Bristow and Sutor (a civil enforcement agency) regarding our outstanding council tax. We informed him that the property has been sold subject to contract, and that the payment would be made in full on completion. With this he left.

2 weeks later, we received another call from a representative of this company demanding access to our property. He did not portray himself as a bailiff, he just said that he needed to arrange a payment plan with us. After arranging a payment plan, he noted that we own a 20 year old tv a coffee table and 5 other worthless items on a sheet entitled inventory of goods seized.

He didn't take anything, and didn't give us an option of him taking stuff! (hence why I didn't realise he was a bailiff!)

A few days later, I called to make the first agreed payment, and I noticed these charges have been added to my account.

1) Attendance to levy fees - £24.50

2) Levy fee - £48

3) Walking possession fee - £12

4) Redemption of goods fee - £24.50

Suddenly our bill of £758.43 became £867.43!

When I called to make the payment, I enquired as to what these fees were for, and was told, 1 charge was a repossession fee, another charge was for not actually repossessing the property and another was for the return of the property (which was never taken) upon payment in full.

This struck me quite strange. Can anyone give me advice please?

Thanks

Hi Helen.

Im no expert so i hope this link can help to answer your questions.

Debt Basics - Bailiff Guide - know your rights

Good Luck.

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.

Guest 10110001
we received another call from a representative of this company demanding access to our property. He did not portray himself as a bailiff, he just said that he needed to arrange a payment plan with us. After arranging a payment plan, he noted that we own a 20 year old tv a coffee table and 5 other worthless items on a sheet entitled inventory of goods seized.

Its called failure to disclose information. He has committed an criminal offence under Section 2 of the Fraud Act 2006.

A few days later, I called to make the first agreed payment, and I noticed these charges have been added to my account.

1) Attendance to levy fees - £24.50

2) Levy fee - £48

3) Walking possession fee - £12

4) Redemption of goods fee - £24.50

Suddenly our bill of £758.43 became £867.43!

Its called obtaining money be deception. Its a criminal offence under Section 16(a)(1) of the Theft Act 1968.

When I called to make the payment, I enquired as to what these fees were for, and was told, 1 charge was a repossession fee, another charge was for not actually repossessing the property and another was for the return of the property (which was never taken) upon payment in full.

Its called making a false statement to obtain a money transfer. A criminal offence under Section 19 of the Theft Act 1968.

This struck me quite strange. Can anyone give me advice please?

Thanks

It sounds like he is not a legitimate bailiff. Check he us certificated by calling the public register of certificated bailiffs on 0207 210 0516. If he is not certificated then you may have been a victim of bogus bailiffs. In any event you should contact police quoting the above legislation.

If the bailiff is certificated, complain to the court that certificated him.

A firm of bailiffs must hold a Category E consumer credit license. According to the OFT it is a criminal offence to trade while unlicensed. Check the consumer credit public register on 020 7211 8608.

If you paid by credit card, get your money back under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Phone your bank for a chargeback form.