employment application issues

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5993 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi ,

few days agao i apply a jodfor an admin job. i read carefully the perosn specification, if the jod description match what i have doen before ,etc... this was within my capbilities to do an iw as macthing the profile they were looking for. so i apply for it through their websites,mentioniung my perosnal detaiols previsou job ,etc.... . a week later i received a phone call form HR saying they are about the process my application and she was happy with my application form (meaning that it was looking succesfull at this stages), she wanted me to send my CV and a covering letter so they coudl procee my detial and arrange an interview. ,which i did.

two days latter i received a letter saying that she couldn;t process my application further that the inteview was cancelled because i wasn't living within the boundary of the city. Odd becasue i lived 20 minute by walk form their organisation. when i apploied that was from the jobcentre their were no mentin of these criteria , and as she looked at my application form she could clearly see that my postcode was different form theirs due a simple bridge separating two city. What really tick me off is that she led me to believe that i was successfull, ask me to fill some other form plus sent some Cv and Covering letter ( which i don't understand i included with my application form ) , ask me to prepare for an interview and then told me sorry you can't because your postcode doesn't match yours ? is this legal practice? because i feel like i was being discriminate again?

Using a postcode is a new one on me!! It could well be discrimination, proving it is another thing. You will need to find out if they processed other people from outside their postcode for a start.

I take it English is not your first language going from your writing? Did you write the letter in the same manner? If so it might be because of that and it being an admin job they might need someone with good command of English.

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales

yes i am not english, the coveing letter was corrected by my partner to make sure. excuse for my post below i typed it in a rush so it has a lot of mistake. i have just finish a degree and started a master and believe me i have no problem with my english command. however, the fact she told me that they wer interested in my application and then told me no we can't accept any further your application because you are not living within the city boundaries ,welllll mmmm why she didn't told me while i was speaking on the phone requesting more information. when i received this letter that ticked me off a bit as in the jobcentre they were no mention of it, and i suppose of if it was for my english level then she should have told me, evem my english level hs beentested well before during my education and it still is.....

well in my last intrview for the same job, after ahavong written teste and an interview, my level of english was very good athat was from the interviewer, with a bit of luck i may have the job in the same area. yes they do process application form other areas but not for this job for other job in other department , that was from thier letter

Please do not misunderstand me, I was not trying to say your English was bad but trying to see if the company used the postcode as a reason instead of your English.

The company can state that only applications from X area will be accepted and unless you can prove they have accepted applicants from outside the area I can not see you having a case.

I will say this, I find it very strange how they treated your application and I suspect there are other reasons behind it.............proving that is another thing.

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales

you haven't upset me at all however i just want to put one things clear it is not because i am foreign that i cannot write nor i cannot understand english ( sorry it is not meant at you but i am getting sick of people assuming that), i have been working in admin over ten years now, well truly if i was that bad then i will be back wheer i come from.

having said that, my belief is that once they have realised that i am a foreigner, the phone call i had with this rather rude woman, i received the following day, a letter claiming that this measure was taken to regenerate the areas, their business is situated in a busy city centre. so, i have a long lette claiing their benefit of their decision etc.... . so surely before processing my application they could have tell me that my application wasn't suitable, as it didn't match their criteria,while phoning me to book an interview?