• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Cahoot (Abbey) ignoring financial hardship

poppynurse
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5810 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My claim was stayed after requesting judgement against cahoot for failure to submit a bundle. The blooming waiver's timing was dreadful for me.

I have repeatedly contacted cahoot to ask them to stop adding further interest and charges due to significant financial hardship but they say that the computer generates the charges automatically and they cannot stop it. I am drowning financially, I started a new business this year (part time) and am operating at a loss, I get carers allowance paid into the cahoot account but this is swallowed up in the overdraft....I'm living on credit cards.

How can I make cahoot consider my financial situation and look at the original complaint?

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

It is abundantly clear that the financial hardship clause was just PR crap from the FSA & OFT to fool the wider world into believing that they care. In reality, neither the banks, the OFT, the FSA or the courts give a toss. Some people have succeeded in getting a stay lifted due to hardship, but unfortunately they are very few.

If I were you, I would firstly open another account for your income to be paid into in order to stop it being swallowed up in charges & interest. Then you can have a go at getting the stay lifted. I'm afraid to say though that the chances are slim with the case so close. :(

I know what you mean :(

Cahoot say they can't stop the computer generating charges - they won't acknowledge my financial hardship complaint.

The court ignored the financial hardship argument and said they had to uphold the stay as they had been instructed to stay all charges claims :(

The FSA say they don't consider complaints from individuals :(

The FSO refer me back to cahoot :(

I'll try the OFT but I'm not holding my breath.

My MP sympathises but can't do anything :(

I daren't open a different account - if no money goes into the cahoot account the debt will just get bigger and they'll take action against me - how unfair is that :(

Well the debt will accrue from penalty charges which are unenforceable. You will simply be turning the tables on them by not paying the "debt" until the test case is over..

At least if you open another account, you will have access to your income, which is rightfuly yours.

Of course, if you prefer to let cahoot continue to unlawfully take it from you, go ahead. :p

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to the FSA yesterday (and there was me thinking they were ignoring me). They have told me to inform cahoot that they are breaching section 14 of the banking code by refusing to consider my hardship. If cahoot do not respond I have to make a seperate complaint to the FOS on that basis....email sent to cahoot. Fingers crossed for me x

• 2 weeks later...

Did Cahoot reply to your email?

My entire income was being swallowed by HSBS overdraft - I work full time, and when I was paid I was unable to draw any cash! I was living off credit cards too. I moved to a Cahoot current account (!) which improved things no end. This has got HSBC's attention now and they have started chasing me. I noticed that they have completely stopped applying OD charges now though - at one point they were debting £125/month - and they now owe me more than I owe them. Letter in the post tomorrow...

• 4 weeks later...

poppynurse.. you really need to open another account. It isn't right that you are being forced into using credit cards to just survive. Don't worry about the unlawful interest and charges they keep adding.. paying the bills and putting food on the table comes first!

Have you tried the national debt line people? They were very helpful to me (i am on carers allowance as well) and would take a dim view of the actions of Cahoot to date I am sure.

:!: -Any advise I give is based purely on my own experience. It should not be solely relied upon as I am NOT a legal expert and any major decisions you make should not be based on my opinion alone -

HFC Bank - Davey vs HFC

Barclays - Monthly payments made

Cahoot - Agreement received, awaiting 2nd agreement after DCA.

MBNA1&2 - Agreements received. (Currently in limbo)

Halifax - Davey vs Halifax/Cabot

MINT - Davey vs Mint

Amex - Davey vs Amex

Cap1 **WON** £1,500 Written Off Davey vs Cap1

Never Sign Anything

Iamironman.....I totally sympathise. And davey77 is right. If your bank is not protecting your assets and you dont have enough money to live on as a result of the charges then you need to stop feeding the beast so to speak. Your first priority is providing for yourself. Get a new account open anywhere but abbey, get your wages transferred into it and then you can fight Abbey - but this time on your terms.

A £35 pound bank charge is not a charge for a service. Its theft.

It seems that at the moment - the only way to protect yourself from charges is simply to abandon your account and move elsewhere and/or move to cash.

The Financial Hardship clause in the FSA waiver was blatent PR spin. I've certainly heard of no one who has used in successfilly and managed to either stop charges or get any money back.

In light of complete and total regulatory failure over bank charges literally the only thing that anyone can do in the current climate is to give up, let the banks keep applying fantasy charges to your account and prepare for a long battle to clear them.

In the meantime - a parachute bank account and cash is king. I wouldnt trust paying by Direct Debit in the current climate either. If a £30 gas bill can turn into £120 at the drop of a hat I would say its worth it to pay at the post office or over the phone etc.

A £35 pound bank charge is not a charge for a service. Its theft.

I sure don't used direct debit when i can get out of it! Don't like the idea generally of people dipping into my account without asking me first!

I did have interest and charges frozen on a couple of credit card accounts though and i wasn't even questioning the charges at the time just getting lots of calls and harassment so complained in the strongest terms and if i remember they froze them as a 'favour' to me. In other words to stop me making an official complaint to everybody i could think of!

Originally a year ago i did ask them to write off the debt due to carers allowance though.. of course that was either ignored or replied with 'we are unable to consider that at this time'. :rolleyes:

:!: -Any advise I give is based purely on my own experience. It should not be solely relied upon as I am NOT a legal expert and any major decisions you make should not be based on my opinion alone -

HFC Bank - Davey vs HFC

Barclays - Monthly payments made

Cahoot - Agreement received, awaiting 2nd agreement after DCA.

MBNA1&2 - Agreements received. (Currently in limbo)

Halifax - Davey vs Halifax/Cabot

MINT - Davey vs Mint

Amex - Davey vs Amex

Cap1 **WON** £1,500 Written Off Davey vs Cap1

Never Sign Anything

• 4 months later...