Letting agent 'check out fee'

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5045 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Greetings all,

I have been through as much info as possible and cannot find a similar post regarding check out fees. Please let me know if I am posting this incorrectly or leaving out any info.

My letting agent is charging a £45 check out fee. I wonder what this is for, and if it must be paid? It is in the contract, which is signed. The contract says that they are proud of the fact this is the only charge they have (except the £145 admin fee they charged to conduct previous property searches etc - despite the fact that I am not from the UK so didn't hold any previous address. When asked if they searched my home country, they said no. So, basically I paid £145 to check my history of one month in the UK when it is supposed to be a 5 year search.)

I will pay the fee if it is reasonably due, though I struggle understand what £45 actually pays for.

Any advice is appreciated, as is your time.

It will be to pay for the inventory check out. This is unfortunately a fair charge.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

I'm never renting through an agency again - it's face-to-face with the landlord next time. Our current LL is an angel - but the agency delight in wringing the blood from your veins with these charges. £82 for photocopying - ahem, sorry, renewing - the tenancy, pah...!

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

WS - don't forget, if they're charging you the money, make sure you get everything you've paid for. If they say it's for an exit inventory, make sure one actually gets done; they can't make the charge if they don't perform the service... :)

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Exactly right. Luckily, at the beginning of the tenancy I went around the flat before moving any furniture in with a digital camera. When I submitted the inventory form, I also sent in a copy of the digital photos on disc to prove the condition of what was agreed nearly 12 months ago.

I would recommend everyone do that. Perhaps they wont try to rip me off - though at least I am ready if they do!