• Tweets

• Hello, I hope you're all well, I just wanted some advise on my debt situation. So currently my debt is a total of £17,000, 7k to Amex and 10k to TSB as a loan, now I have never missed a payment and I have always been on time but I have had some personal circumstances that mean I need my money and I cannot afford to pay these loans off for the time being. I'd need around 4/5 months and then ill be able to start making the payment again, I've been reading on the forum and I have seen many options but I'd like to know what the best option for me is. I don't want and IVA or DMP and nor do I want to go bankrupt. I've read about defaulting and minimum payments etc, Say if I didn't pay anything for 4 months or maybe paid bare minimum then once the 4 months is over I make up for the payments? Sorry If I sound stupid but I am just trying to figure out the best option before doing something stupid and going for an option that is more feasible. Thanks
    • For NI it depends on how you pay. Pension Contributions come out via your gross pay as a deduction = You pay NI. Pension contributions come out via salary sacrifice = You don't pay NI. You wouldn't pay income tax on it either way.  
    • Hi Isn't the pension contributions tax exempt - so take Gross - pension = taxable income?? Obviously the Tax Codes and Thresholds will play a part in the calcs as well G
    • Yea the counter is open 10-4 apparently but in reality if you go to the court and go to secuirty just refuse to go away and ask them to call the civil team they will eventually and they'll take the payment  
    • Update My insurance declined the claim since lung cancer was a 'pre-existing' condition at the time of booking Will try and ask BA to reconsider, otherwise I will lose several hundred pounds Probate (or rather the equivalent here in Malta) is completed and took 2 weeks from receiving the official death certificate Have now sent off all the necessary closure forms to Pension, Insurance, UK Bank, etc. Just need to visit the embassy to have her passport cancelled G
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

I am alsmost suicidal with worry... re debt agencies..

BABYHOLLIE
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5960 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Firstly I have to tell you soem background as need help. I have posted somewhere else on here but not sure if in the correct place.

I have had a horrible year and i mean horrible as my daughter has been very ill and in and out of hospital. This all made be depressed and hence got behind with my bills.

Yesterday I had a pre bailiff visit as not paid one of my accounts and I had forgotten. It was on behalf of cl finance???

Before I got in this mess I had a good job, earned good money and goood live comfortable.

Now I do ot have hardly any money to live off. I cannot afford to run my 04 car as cannot afford the tax or insurance.

Well you have to magine I was very depressed soemthing I though was not a serious illness but honestly I could not be botehred to pay anything at all. I knew I had to do something so went to the cccs which were fine but i missed acouple of months as just could not be bothered so they sent me all the detaisl to deal with my creditors direct.

Well to cut a long story I work part time and i decided i had to try and claer some debt and my crditers were being terrible and hence my mum got my tax crdits/working tax credits every week and has been paying them off for the last 4 months.. the thing is i never know where the next penny is coming from although what i do know is the debts are going down.

Most my debts are with agencies now like wescoot, howard Cowen and couiple of more. I am about £7,000 in debt altogther.

I ahve been reading through threads and it seems i just be dealing with the people themselves rather than the debt agencies. Please could sombody point me in the correct direction.

I also am scared stiff of the re bailiff man coming back as i know him as my daughter went to school with his.. what shall I do about this. I ahve no money for Christams either as i got behind with my abbey mortgage and it went to court and have to pay my normal amount of £800 plus an extra £150 on top.. they have said (eversheds that they willl do this for 6 months then the capital will be added to end of loan) and be back with the abbey.

I have had 3 hours sleep all night with worry and just do not know what to do or where to turn.

I put in my other thread i have complained about the abbey as after 8 weeks they still ahve not decided if i can have my bank charges back as living in hardship. There letter of reply we still have not finsidhed our investigations and if i wish to complain to the finacial omnisbun then do. I hgae the complaint form now so need to know what shall I include in it.

I appreciate anybody at all that can elp me.

Thanks so so much maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning Babyhollie,

I just wanted to offer my support!..CAG is life-changing and empowering...there is light at the end of the tunnel...so chin up..!

There will be lots of excellent help and advice along soon....in the meantime read read read...and realise you are not alone...

wishing you well

moving on....

Guest Jules_69

Hi Babyhollie

Welcome to CAG :) Glad you have come here - as moving on has said - there is light at the end of the tunnel and you have made the first steps towards it :)

Regarding Abbey - yes go for it with the Financial Ombudsman - your other thread will concentrate on this.

I knew I had to do something so went to the cccs which were fine but i missed acouple of months as just could not be bothered so they sent me all the detaisl to deal with my creditors direct.

CCCS have really helped me - I go through the cannot be bothered bits - I have one standing order going to CCCS each month for £178. My debts are about £14k. I have the payment leave my account the same day as my mortgage - directly after money enters the account. If you are paid benefits weekly you can pay them by standing order weekly on the day you receive the benefits. Honestly please go back to them and complete the paperwork - it is one payment per month and one form to complete and return. Writing to all your individual creditor will be a lot lot harder, and if you are like me you will have a wee spurt of sorting things out then not bother following it up until it all builds up on you again.

Please give them a call back and pick up where you left off. Take control of your finances back from your mum too.

I cannot advise with regards to the bailliffs but there are many people on here who will help you with that side.

Once you have CCCS working for you - then you can look at doing CCA requests and things - but I think at the moment you need the weight lifting from your shoulders and the calls and letters to stop.

With regards to your mortgage - did you go to court ? with financial statements etc - or was the judgement passed in your absence.

I will help you all I can as will everyone else on here.

Try and smile - I know its hard but we can get through this :) Honestly.

xxx

Firstly, can you explain what you mean by a "pre-bailiff visit ?".... as this sounds like the standard bowlarks that Debt Collectors come out with from time to time. As far as I'm aware there are no pre-bailiff visits as such.... which means you've been visited by a nerdy little debt collector on a power trip; trying to get money by intimidating the heck out of you.

Can you please list who your debts are with ?

Which companies ?.... how much is owing ?... how they are chasing you ?... if you have any CCJs (County Court Judgements ) ? Are any debts secured on property ?

Loads of questions.... but all will be clearer soon.

:)

Yesterday I received a letter from ScotCall saying that they are going to visit me. I know that the debt that they are talking about is statue barred. Debt collectors who have the power (what I mean is all the necessary documents from the lender to collect the debt(s). My debt has been passed on from Thames Credit to BCW to Scottcall now why would a DCA passed on debt to another organization if they can collect it them selves, they have no authority to collect it and will resort to threating letter doorstep callers and never ending phone calls to try and get you to conceded to them, as they have no other legal way of collecting the debt.

So do not let them get to you they are bullies but as mentioned below please give more details of the debts that you are worried about no **** bag debt collector can make peoples live in fear of them they are not worth it. :|

Am just going through your post and picked put some points....

Yesterday I had a pre bailiff visit as not paid one of my accounts and I had forgotten. It was on behalf of cl finance??? Pre-bailiff visit my *rse...! :-x

Well you have to magine I was very depressed soemthing I though was not a serious illness but honestly I could not be botehred to pay anything at all. I knew I had to do something so went to the cccs which were fine but i missed acouple of months as just could not be bothered so they sent me all the detaisl to deal with my creditors direct.

You can deal with all your creditors directly... this is not a problem, providing you keep a strong focus on what you're doing. If you ignore anything, it could create a loophole for them to climb through. I can appreciate what you've been through, but you really need to take control of this now. We will help you to do that. :)

Well to cut a long story I work part time and i decided i had to try and claer some debt and my crditers were being terrible and hence my mum got my tax crdits/working tax credits every week and has been paying them off for the last 4 months.. the thing is i never know where the next penny is coming from although what i do know is the debts are going down.

You are payng far too much.... Tax credits are not awarded for paying debts, no matter what these guys may have told you. If all you can genuinely afford is £1 a month, then that's all they can have. Please DO NOT HAVE ANY FURTHER CONTACT WITH THEM OVER THE 'PHONE....or they will try and get you to believe all sorts.

Most my debts are with agencies now like wescoot, howard Cowen and couiple of more. I am about £7,000 in debt altogther.

If that's the case, they should be fairly easy to deal with providing there are no CCJs. :)

I ahve been reading through threads and it seems i just be dealing with the people themselves rather than the debt agencies. Please could sombody point me in the correct direction.

You need to deal with whoever is pursuing you for payments... so if it's debt collectors, we need to deal with them first.

I also am scared stiff of the re bailiff man coming back as i know him as my daughter went to school with his.. what shall I do about this.

Tell him to leave to you will call the police and have him removed. He has no right to trespass on your property. If you're not strong enough to do this, then just don't answer the door. He has more to be ashamed of than you do.... doing a job like that. :-x You have nothing to be ashamed of at all.

I ahve no money for Christams either as i got behind with my abbey mortgage and it went to court and have to pay my normal amount of £800 plus an extra £150 on top.. they have said (eversheds that they willl do this for 6 months then the capital will be added to end of loan) and be back with the abbey.

You mortgage is you priority.... so you need to keep to this one for now. There may be things we could look at later, but it's probably too much to take on all at once.

I have had 3 hours sleep all night with worry and just do not know what to do or where to turn.

Well.... welcome to CAG ! ;) We will look after you now...

I put in my other thread i have complained about the abbey as after 8 weeks they still ahve not decided if i can have my bank charges back as living in hardship. There letter of reply we still have not finsidhed our investigations and if i wish to complain to the finacial omnisbun then do. I hgae the complaint form now so need to know what shall I include in it.

Leave this one on it's separate thread for now... I will try and take a look at some point.

I appreciate anybody at all that can elp me.

:)

Hello,

I only joined this wonderful site yesterday and have spent many hours reading. I think its a case of knowing you arent alone that helps.

Im pretty green when it comes to the practical advise, but I do know that Ive taken the bull by the horns and drafted out a letter on behalf of my partners debt and I feel so much better for doing it!

I hope Im not overstaking the mark here, but your sentence about almost feeling suicidal, crosses over into something I am involved with on the web. Id suggest this is taking a huge toll on you mentally, it becomes the only thing you feel able to focus on. This is a time you need a good support group, which I think you certainly have here, and maybe a time to consider popping along to your gp and explaining how you are feeling. these companies shouldnt have the right to push people into a state of panic. I doubt if there are any people who got into debt on purpose, its normally though illness or redundency, and lets face it it takes years to play catch up. I think we we be very shocked if we knew just how many people live from one paypacket to another.

My final thought is, is there anyone you can sit down and talk this over with? my partner kept it from me, until I could see what it was doing to him, since Ive taken it over and researched it, its lightened the burden, to be able to discuss it alould and talk about moving forward somehow makes you feel like you are going to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Good luck.

n

• Haha 1

Hi Hollie, I just wanted to come here to add my support to you. I am fairly new to this site. Like you I was feeling stressed and depressed caused by debt problems when I was made redundant from my job. All I can say, is please be strong and things will get better. The people here are great, very knowledgable and very supportive. They will help you through all this. For my own part, I went to PayPlan to look after my debt problems. They don't charge anything and have been great. I personally found it easier to put everything together and make only one payment each month to one organisation, but obviously that is your choice. So far only one creditor has refused to deal with PayPlan. Most important things are your health and that of your daughter. Take care.

Hi Hollie

I think the advice about going to your GP is a good one.

Give us as much info as you can on your debts and you'll get lots of good advice on how to tackle each and every one in a way that will empower you and lower your stress levels.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

These DCA should not have the power to put people into such a state, the are acting illegally because they have not got any doucmentation to collect a debt they resort to sending out harassing letters to people in the hope that they will scare them into paying them money which they have no right to collect. We are these people allowed to operate in the 21st century's.:-x

Greetings Babyhollie

There is a great deal more to this site and its 'occupants' than meet the eye. Take as much in as possible and allow yourself to voice any worries you may have. You need to look after yourself and taking control, you will have much help, as already said, will transform what once seemed like a hopeless situation. I have the T-Shirt! Good wishes.

Slartibartfast

PRS - Semi-retired

Yesterday I had a pre bailiff visit as not paid one of my accounts and I had forgotten. It was on behalf of cl finance???

As has already been most eloquently stated by PriorityOne..... ;)

Pre-bailiff visit my *rse...! :-x
Bailiffs are only used in the worst cases of non-payment of a CCJ, this was most like a debt collector on a power trip, as has already been said.

Furthermore they are not allowed to just turn up out of the blue, they MUST make an appointment and you have the right to tell them to sod right off. They have no more legal rights than your paperboy does.

Here is an excerpt from the OFT Debt Collection Guidance;

Debt collection visits

2.11 Those visiting debtors must not act in an unclear or threatening manner.

2.12 Examples of unfair practices are:

a. not making the purpose of any proposed visit clear, for example, merely

stating that collectors or field agents will call is not sufficient

b. visiting a debtor when it is known they are vulnerable, for example, when

a doctor's certificate has been provided stating that the debtor is ill

c. continuing with a visit when it becomes apparent that the debtor is

distressed or otherwise vulnerable, for example, it becomes apparent that

the debtor has mental health problems

d. entering a property uninvited

e. not leaving a property when asked to

f. visiting or threatening to visit debtors without prior agreement when the

debt is deadlocked or disputed

g. not giving adequate notice of the time and date of a visit

h visiting debtors, unless requested, at inappropriate locations such as work

or hospital.

The full text can be found here;

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

Good luck, Dave.

If my post was helpful don't forget to click the scales!

Advice is offered freely, without liability and without prejudice.

If in any doubt professional advice should be sought.

I do not profess to be in any way legally trained, I am a big

oily wagon driver and all I know has been learned within the

Debt Action Group.

FAQ's

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o....se-read-these/

The Debt Action Group

Debt Collection & Debt Collection Agencies

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o....bt-collection/

General Debt Questions & Help

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o..../general-debt/

Trying to stop smoking?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o....-smoking-here/

A dummies guide to the forums

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o....i-dummies.html

--

Depression can be a very serious illness BH. As others here have said, it's important to talk to your doctor about how this is making you feel. I understand what 'not being bothered' means. It's a big signal to talk to your GP. It's very hard to think when you're struggling with everything in life, and it sounds like you've had a very rough time. So, top of the list, see your GP and talk it through. xx

Yes there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes we all need help to get to it, but it doesn't ever go away.

You are in good company now. And some top people here are already helping. Hang in there! :) xx

We will not be intimidated.

'The pen is mightier than the sword'.

Petition to Outlaw Debt Sale and Purchase

- can't read/post much as eye strain's v.bad.

VIVA CAG!!! :)

Babyhollie,

Lots of the posters on here have been in exactly the same situation as your self and believe me it DOES get better!

take advice from PriorityOne.

Send this to the company threatening a pre-bailiff visit -

Dear Sirs

Account Ref xxxx

Please be advised that I will only communicate with you in writing

Should it be your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you.There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance.

Yours faithfully

Send everything by recorded delivery and keep a copy on file

Creditors cannot send bailiffs without a court order !

Good luck

The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity than a friend is a creditor.

Debt Collection Charges

There is no legal basis for a creditor or a debt collection agency acting on its behalf to claim collection costs from a debtor unless there is an express provision in the original agreement.

Without such provision, collection charges cannot be demanded as a debt due under the agreement.

Hello there I just thought I would let you know my mum is dealing with my debts and I will be going to house in the morning to go through them all. I am paying too much as all my tax credits are going on debt but that includes my car laon that I am paying the full amount to black horse and that is all up to date.

I have not hd time to read through all replies in depth but I intend to do so this eveing.

All my debts are with either debt collecter agaencies or with the compnay. I have pais alot off already buit still owe alot too. Ony one of the debts has gone to to court and give me a ccg and that was my mothercare account with Howard Cohan.

I have paid this months mortgage plus what I ahve to pay extra alreday and know I have to do this or will loose the house.

I would also like to add this place is so good as I feel better already knowing you are all here to support me and give me help which means alot to me.

I appreciate everything.

In the morning/afternoon I will post all debt that I have and see what you folks can do. My halifax laon and my mortgage are with Eversheds.

Thanks so much.

I think its brilliant your mum is supporting you though this. I think the feeling of being alone, is a huge issue. Once you have someone there to voice outlould what is going on and how you deal with it, it takes you to a different level altogether.

Your mum is a star; be as honest as you possibly can with her and fight the fight together!

N

Just for future reference.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A DEBT PROBLEM THAT CAN'T BE SOLVED

Right, now we've said the obvious, we'll need to get down to business. i assume at this stage you have considered contacting either national debt line, or the Citizens Advice Bureau.

This is a good starting place.

What you need to do right from the start is realise that there are debts which are important - mortgage, council tax, car (if necessary for work), utility bills etc.

And there are debts that DCA's will tell you are important - unsecured loans, credit cards etc.

At this stage, with any of the "unimportant debts" you should be pauing no more than £1 a month.

With the priority debts, you should be seeking - if possible - to repay them via the minimum payments. that's the first step. Remember, 90% of the threats of DCA's simply are not as bad at they try to make it sounds.

Once you've done that, and called the people who can help, you do need to read other threads on this forum. What you will find out is that very many debts are unenforceable for various reasons, and with the enforceable ones then court generally, for public policy reasons, will not force you to pay mlore than you can afford.

You can, latter on, look at reclaiming any penalty charges, improperly sold PPI etc.

it can be a long road to solving debt problems, but you should be under no doubt whatsoever - every debt problem CAN be solved, and CAN be solved in such a way as to allow you to fulfill your basic needs.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

BABYHOLLIE

Just to add my welcome too, I'm new here also, had I not received a letter threatening a Stat Demand from Con-artistes I would never have found my way here, that letter made me feel almost suicidal for a couple of hours (and I didn't think anything could make me feel that way) then I pulled myself together and did some research which brought me here.

Con-artistes have now backed off after receiving a CCA letter - still waiting for the agreeement - and I'm now very quietly waiting for a shot accross my decks from First Credit.

Chin up, we're all here to help each other!!

I would also like to add this place is so good as I feel better already knowing you are all here to support me and give me help which means alot to me.

glad you are feeling a bit better and yes you are right you will get all the help and support here.

I wish you the very best of luck

mamie

Hi Babyhollie

You are in the best place to get help now. As said before many people here have had the same problems that you are going through now.

The amount of knowledge and information available here is Phenominal. Now is the time to sit down with your mum and have a cuppa(sound like bloody Pauline fowler off eastenders now ;) ) and start to sort out and prioritise your creditors.

Now you will need to put a bit of money aside, as all correspondence you send will need to be by recorded/registered post.

You will also need to find £1.00 odd for each postal order for any CCA requests that you send.

Could you let us know who all your creditors are and how much you owe each of them and how far they have gone eg whos being the biggest pain in the a$$.

Good luck and you are in good hands now.

Geoff.

Tip us a wink on my scales if you think I may have helped at all;)

Hi Babyhollie,

You have come to the right place,you will receive all the help you need and support to get you through this tough time.

Number one priority look after yourself,and your daughter,everything else can be sorted out.

Take care:) Mrsc