John Lewis Freeview box

yellowplum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5893 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wonder if someone can guide me a little. I purchased a Freeview box with Hard drive (PVR) unit around 27 August 2007.

Today I took the unit back to John Lewis. It has repeatedly frozen recently and also now misses the ends of recording programs that it has been set to record.

When I took it back I wanted to obtain a refund, as the only other unit the sell is £70 more and I did not want to pay that when Argos have a selection for the same price I paid for this one that isn't working.

I was told they would not refund but want to send it back to the manufacturer for repair. I didn't agree with this since I was to be left without a Freeview box so they gave me a new one for free on loan until this one was returned.

Now what I want to know is (btw the new one is more expensive but worse) do they have to refund or repair? How long do I give them?

I actually want my money back because I want to get the Hitachi one from Argos and not the Thompson one (especially after reading reviews about it on Amazon saying it's a pile of cr*p) and that it fails.

So where do I stand?

Oh good Lord - bit of editing needed there!

I doubt whether you could get a refund as you will probably have been deemed to have accepted the goods, so a repair or replacement (if repair is impossible or too expensive) is most likely.

Surprised they gave you a loan set - usually have to fight for something like that! I think in all the circumstances you have been treated quite reasonably. If the fault persists though, you may be entitled to a refund less an amount for usage already.

There is no clear definition of what the reasonable time is for you to return goods to the supplier - but in general, various court cases have said that six months is reasonable to return to the retailer to have a refund or a repair. However, as you have experienced, the repair will entail sending the unit to the manufacturers and that may take forever, and they may even say that it was due to user damage.

In the strict sense, returning your unworking box to the retailer is the best and most viable option where you are entitled to EITHER a refund or a repair, whichever is more reasonable and economical. There is no way to enforce which one you receive after this period of time (normally 28 days is the "return" period). However, you have a manufacturer's guarantee to cover you for instances such as this, so I'm thinking that the only option you have is to go back to the manufacturer for a repair.

On a personal note, I purchased a Thomson PVR box about 3 weeks ago, and it's been fine and I read some very dodgy reviews on the internet about it but I have had no problems at all??

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)

On a personal note, I purchased a Thomson PVR box about 3 weeks ago, and it's been fine and I read some very dodgy reviews on the internet about it but I have had no problems at all??

Actually, Thompson probably have more experience with PVRs than any other manufacturer as the built all the Tivo machines for the UK, (I still have 2 working night and day for seven years!), so I can vouch for them being fit for purpose!

The problem with it is that for some reason, even though I have added the time of 3 mins to each side of the recording it just cuts off recording the end of something.

The one they have given as a 'loan' machine actually records better but is not a great box since it doesn't record a series just per episode (Grundig £149 box on there site)

I just want a box that works. As I said they wouldn't even just swap the damm thing.

The go/stop instructions come from the EPG. There is no single supplier of EPG data, as different platforms use different data sets. So (for example) if you have two Freeview PVR's they should have the same data and their start and stop times identical to 'real time' It's always a good idea to check this!). All you are interested in is the amount of time the recording runs for, as the program playout time often varies (Coronation Street, for example can start anywhere from 1926 to 1937, yet PVRs are always told to start recording at 1930.

• 3 months later...

Yes but that is why the PVR also has a setting to record 7-10 mins prior to the set time to begin.

However even with this setting in place the PVR failed to record the program correctly.

I am still awaiting the repaired unit to be returned to me by JLP.

Alas I think I will not be getting it back and the 'temporary replacement/loan is not the same that I originally had so now I want my money back. Time to complain some more.

Seeing how you started this in November then I think you have been very patient in waiting this long. I would now give them 7 days to return the repaired box or to replace it with a same or better model.

It certainly is time to complain some more.

I have been very patient on this issue, partly becuase I have been engaged elsewhere. I have written to head office complaining of the situation so we will give them a week to see what they respond with (if they do)...