Leasehold - landlord overcharging for maintenence

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5026 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hopefully someone can help me understand my rights here - it is not strictly a landlord-tennant issue because I own the flat I live in, however the property is leasehold and the council is the landlord (or whatever the correct term is for this situation!).

They have recently carried out some maintenance work on the communal areas and outside area of the property (it contains 4 flats).

They provided the 4 owners with a breakdown of costs, totalling about £550. The vast majority of the cost (£500) was listed as being for internal and external decoration.

I did not sign any agreement or anything else, but they said if there was a problem with their proposal to contact them before the work started. In principle this sounded fine to me, so I didnt say anything.

When they came to do the work, all they actually did was paint our garden fence (listed as a separate expense from external decoration) and paint my front door. As you can imagine paying £500 for having my front door painted does not appeal!

I have emailed the council a few times with my concerns and got nowhere. I absolutely do not intend to pay them the amount they have billed me. Of course I will happily pay for the work they have done, but to give you an idea, they charged each resident about £20 for painting the fence, and it took the painter about 2 days. Painting the front door took him 1 day so I do not see why it should cost £480 more than the fence!

They also have not done various other jobs, eg ivy removal that we will be billed for, and I have seen no external decoration at all.

What can I do about this? I do not have £500 to chuck away on nothing and I dont intend to pay that much for the small amount of work thats been done.

Any advice gratefully received!

Mindzai & Lucid vs Lloyds TSB

Mindzai's Account - Partial settlement offer rejected

Joint Account - Partial settlement offer rejected

Spreadsheet for compound contractual interest and statutory (s69) interest:

Download v1.9 [Tested with Excel 97-2007 and OpenOffice 2]

PLEASE NOTE: You should fully research contractual interest before you use that functionality of this spreadsheet. If in any doubt please use it to calculate 8% interest under s69 County Courts Act 1984.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone? :(

Mindzai & Lucid vs Lloyds TSB

Mindzai's Account - Partial settlement offer rejected

Joint Account - Partial settlement offer rejected

Spreadsheet for compound contractual interest and statutory (s69) interest:

Download v1.9 [Tested with Excel 97-2007 and OpenOffice 2]

PLEASE NOTE: You should fully research contractual interest before you use that functionality of this spreadsheet. If in any doubt please use it to calculate 8% interest under s69 County Courts Act 1984.

• 2 weeks later...

Read this thread (General guidance relating to service charge disputes): http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/landlords-tenants/113080-service-charges-dispute-suggestions.html#post1112848

Read this thread (items not within the service charge clause): http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-1118442.html

Read this thread (building works): http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/landlords-tenants/118318-service-charge-capital-works.html#post1201549

Basically, you would have to refuse to pay the service charge item in question, on one of the legal grounds mentioned in those threads.

It is best to arrange collective action by all the affected tenants, so that they all refuse to pay. This will put additional pressure on the landlord.

Advice & opinions on this forum are offered informally, without any assumption of liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified and insured professional if you have any doubts.

Note

This is a self-help forum in which users share their experiences. Assistance is offered informally, without any assumption of liability. Use your own judgement; obtain advice from a qualified and insured professional if you have any doubts.

This posting gives general guidance only. It is not an authoritative statement of the law. Consult a Solicitor for specific advice before deciding on any course of action.

Further information:

Assured and Shorthold tenancies - A guide for tenants

Renting and Leasehold - Advice from Shelter

All posts are opinion only

If you've found my suggestions useful, please click on my star and add a comment