Wedding venue hell!!!

katiejane

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5049 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wonder if anyone can help or offer some advice. My fiance and I booked our wedding venue in April of this year for a wedding in June 08. We had some problems with the parent company who own the venue in October, and wrote a letter of complaint hoping to get these issues resolved. The company have responded by returning our deposit of £2000 and saying they feel it's best we book elsewhere. We now have less than 7 months to go till our wedding, and have paid a number of deposits to book various services on the date. We are likely to lose some if not all of these if we cannot somehow find an alternative suitable venue.:-(

Can the venue do this to us, we have very little chance of securing an alternative venue on the same date, and it seems grossly unfair that we would be charged to cancel, but they can do this to us at such short notice? :-x

We don't have a contract as such, and had suimply assumed that by paying our deposit we had secured this booking? We do have written confirmation of the booking from the hotel (although to be fair they aren't denying the booking, simply cancelling it).

What were the problems you had originally which caused you to complain?

What are their reasons for cancelling the booking?

Do you have wedding insurance?

What exactly do you have in writing in relation to your booking?

Where is the venue? England, Wales or Scotland?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

We complained because the venue tried to change the terms and conditions of our booking in October - we had found this out purely by chance when we went to a wedding fair at the venue and were told that the price of our wedding might be increased, we might now be required to book all of the rooms in the hotel in order to hold our wedding there, and lastly that instead of the room we had booked for the ceremony (lovely period features and lots of character) we wuld have to hold the ceremony in a new structure they were building.

They have not given us any reason for the cancellation, but as it's come just after we complained to them I can only assume this is their response to our complaint. I've spent the last week trying to get an answer from them, but to date I've been passed from one person to another and no-one has yet had the courtesy to actually tell us why this has happened.

Sadly we don't have wedding insurance in place yet, so I don't have ay recourse to that.

We have all the correspondence between us and the venue confirming payment of deposit, room booking etc. However, we don't have a contract as such?