SKYPE changing 0207 numbers which highlight they were mis-sold in the first placer

Greenworld
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5995 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all:

For those who have a SKYPEIN number, keep reading. Skype recently sent emails to thousands of people (having bought an 0207 London number which is used for people to phone them from any line) to tell them that they were cancelling their number because they have to give them back to their suppliers.

This is absolutely extra-ordinary that a company sells you phone numbers that they do not even own.

I have written to:

[email protected] (CEO of EBAY)

[email protected] (OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT at SKYPE)

[email protected] (Luxembourg OFCOM equivalent - to Ms Odette Wagener - heading the ILR)

I also called on the following numbers to voice my concerns:

+44 20 8133 8398

+352 26 19 0920

Please find below the letter I sent (comments and advices are welcome!):

"To Whom It May Concern:

Recently, Skype Communications S.a.r.l. (based in Luxembourg) unilaterally informed (see chain of email below) selected customers that they would loose their SkypeIn number due to the fact that Skype gets "SkypeIn numbers from a variety of telecom suppliers. Unfortunately [skype] has to return some of the 0207 SkypeIn numbers to one of our suppliers of London numbers."

The basic fact that you sold this numbers in the first place and did not clearly communicated that these numbers were not even owned by you is absolutely bad business practice. Even if you write in small fonts in your terms and conditions that these numbers can be removed at any time does not necessarily covers you for the fact that you grossly mislead the consumers by mis-selling them 0207 numbers in the first place. Having an 0207 numbers is very important for many people and Skype acquired many customers because of this.

When you read below the email I was sent yesterday, you can't believe that there are companies still today that make money on borrowed assets. We, consumers, are now discovering that we were misled to think that these numbers were yours. The right way to have done it would have been to tell up-front IN BOLD that these were by definition temporary numbers and that you did not even owned them. OR, it would have simply be to charge more money to consumers so you could own these numbers.

The basic fact that Skype allocated numbers and then remove them with barely one month notice contradicts any imaginable good practices in telecoms (VOIP or NOT).

I want to raise my concerns to the office of the president because it is simply unacceptable behaviour. I would request that this case be treated seriously as I am preparing to bring the issue to the European Commission and the Luxembourg government (harbouring these types of practices.) Although, you are probably well covered in your small terms and conditions, the fact that this was not clearly communicated in the first place when consumers registered is an obvious illegal act and Skype will need to take responsibility for the damages this practice causes to so many people - then end consumer - your consumers."

THIS IS THE EMAIL YOU GET FROM SKYPE:

Change to your London SkypeIn number

Hello

We're very sorry to tell you that we have to change your SkypeIn

number. As some of you may know, we get SkypeIn numbers from a variety

of telecoms suppliers. Unfortunately, we have to return some of the

0207 SkypeIn numbers to one of our suppliers of London numbers.

This means your number will stop working from December 20th 2007. We

realise the inconvenience this will cause you, and sincerely

apologise.

Due to changes in the capital's number plan there is a limited

availability of 0207 numbers and we cannot guarantee that you will

find a 0207 number to replace your existing one. However, we have

plenty of 0208 numbers and 0203 numbers which OFCOM has introduced to

cover the whole of Greater London.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact our customer advisors

directly at [email protected]. We've also created a step-by-step

guide to help you redeem your voucher and choose your new

SkypeIn number.