HELP - bailiffs harrassing me for previous tenant

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5988 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok, to cut a long story short. I am getting tons of message from different debt agencies regarding problems from the previous tenant of the house I now rent.

To make it all worse, today a letter came in stating that they will come next week to take possessions to clear the debt.

I am in urgent talks with my landlord to get it dealt with, but what can I do in the meantime.

I am sick of all these messages and getting scared that I have to prove I am not this person or know this person, to people I dont want to know who I am. It scares me to think what tactics they can do.

All previous post has always been returned to them and above all if they would bother to check the council, they would see I live there now and not this person

Please help in to stop these people hassling my life

Any advice is hugely appreciated

LMS (well not so sunny today)

Any advise on how to deal with this?

Thanks

LMS

I would write them a letter, enclosing a photocopy of your tenency agreement or council tax bill, to prove you live there now and that there is no point in continuing to write to your address.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

as far as the letter states they are certified bailiffs or civil enforcement agents.

And the thing is, i dont want them to have my details, that is none of their business. Why should i give it to them, they know the person doesnt live here anymore, Landlord has stated that numerous times, this agency just does not listen. And also a quick check with the council would show i live here and this person not anymore.

I think the best thing to do is wait and see what happens. Just not opening doors to strangers :-)

My landlord has called the bailiffs to back off, and if they dont he is going to sue them for at least harrasment.

LMS

Could you please send me by private message the name of the company that are threatening you.

The reason for this is that just recently 2 bailiffs have had their certificates revoked and been ordered to pay compensation to the claimant in cases very similar to yours.

in each case the bailiffs did gain entry to the property despite being told that the debt related to a previous tenant.

Please let me know which company, and if possible the name of the actual bailiff. Message by PM ONLY.

If you still have details of the companies in question, go over their head to the company they are collecting for immediately, it is not unknown for a bailiff to assume that what you are doing is a tactic to avoid payment of the charge. It would not be the first time someone has done this and they tend to assume what you say is false until you prove otherwise.

I am not suggesting you are lying of course, but rather than arguing with the bailiffs, contact the compay whos debt it is, talk to them. They are far more likely to listen to you.

I understand your conserns about giving up your personal info, there is no need. A letter from your landlord enclosing a copy of the tenag will suffice if sent to the company the money is owed to. Having your landlord remove the details you dont want to share is not unfair. So long as the docs show you are resident currently then there should be no issue.

Feel free to ask anything else, im sorry if i have not helped.

I sympathise. Fault here is with the debtor. If he had paid the debt, or told his creditors where he was moving you would not have this problem.

Sadly this country protects people like that who make our lives a misery. Lets start a petition to force the Govt. to share ALL data with creditors. Lets hunt down debt avoiders so the rest of us do not suffer!!