• Tweets

• You left the PCN number showing, but no worries, I've redacted it. Euro Car parks are very well known to us.  I've just skimmed through the titles of the latest 100 cases we have with them (I gave up after 100) and, despite all their bluster and threats, in not one have they taken the Cagger to court. You stayed there for 2 hours &:45 minutes.  I'm guessing the limit is 2 hours and 30 minutes, right?  
    • If the claimant fails to draft directions the court can order a Case Management Hearing to set them but normally in Fast Track claims the claimant sets the directions...Unlike small claims track which are always set the court.
    • Not Evris offer, the court offers mediation service.   All claims proceed to hearing if mediation fails /not happen.   Why do you not wish to attend in person to stand your claim ?     Absolutely you must comply with the courts directions or your claim risks being struck out. Preparation for a hearing should happen irrespective of mediation.   https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/460613-suing-a-parcel-delivery-company-when-you-dont-have-a-direct-contract-with-them-–-third-party-rights-copy-of-judgment-available/#comment-5255007   Andy  
    • LPA.  (I'm fighting insolvency due to all the stuff that he and lender have done).  He appointed estate agents - (changed several times). Disclosure shows he was originally appointed for a specific reason (3m after repo) : using his powers as acting for leaseholder to serve notice on freeholders (to grab fh).  There was interest from 3 potential buyers. He chose one whose offer depended on a positive result of the notice.  Disc also shows he'd taken counsel advice - which was 'he'd fail'.  He'd simultaneously asked to resign as his job (of serving notice) was done and he'd found a buyer.  Lender asked him to stay on to assign notice to the buyer.  Notice failed, buyer didn't buy.  So receiver stayed.  There was 1 buyer who wanted to proceed w/o fh but receiver/ lender wasted 1y trying to get rid of them!  Disc shows why. But I didn't know why at the time. In later months Lender voiced getting rid of receiver. Various reasons - including cost.  But there's a contradiction/ irony: as I've seen an email (of 4y ago) which shows the receiver telling lender not to incur significant costs and to minimize receiver costs.    Yet lender then asked him to serve another notice - again counsel advice indicated 'he'd fail'.  And he did fail.  But wasted 3y trying and incurred huge legal costs - lender trying to pass on to me. Lender interfered - said wanted to do works.  Receiver should have said no.  But disc. shows he agreed to step aside to let them do the works - on proviso lender would discuss potential costs first (they didn't), works wouldn't take long (took 15m), and lender would hold interest (they didn't) (this last point is crucial for me now - as I need to know if I can argue that all interest beyond this point shouldnt be allowed?)   I need to check receiver witness statement in litigation with freeholders to see exactly what he said about 'his position'. But I remember it being along the lines of - 'if the works increased the value of the property he didn't have a problem'.  Lender/ receiver real problems started at this point. The cost of works and 4y passage of time has meant there is no real increase in value. Lender (or receiver) didn't get any permissions (statutory or fh) (and didn't tell me) and just bulldozed the property to an empty shell.  The freeholders served notice on me as leaseholder for breach of covenants (strict no alterations).  The Lender stepped in (acting for me) to issue notice for relief of forfeiture - not the receiver.  That wasted 2y of litigation (3y if inc the works) and incurred huge costs (both sides).  Lender's aim was to do the works that every potential buyer balked at due to the lease restrictions.  Lender and receiver knew couldn't do works w/o fh permission. Lender did them anyway; receiver allowed.  Receiver remained appointed.  I'm arguing lender interfered in receiver duties.  Receiver should have just sold property 4-5y ago w/o allowing any works.  Almost 3y since works finished the property remains unsold (>5y from repo). The property looks brand new - but it was great before.  The lender spent a ton of money - hoping that would facilitate a quick sale.  But the money they spent and the years they have wasted has meant they had to increase sale price.  It's now completely overpriced.  And - of course - the same issues that put buyers off (before works) still exist.   The receiver has tried for 2y to assert the works increased value. But he is relying on agents estimates - which have proved highly speculative. (Usual trick of an agent to give a high value to get the business - and then tell seller to reduce when no-one buys.). And of course lender continues to accrue interest (despite 4y ago receiver saying pause interest). Lender tried to persuade receiver to use specific agent. Disc shows this agent was best friends with the lender's main investor in the property.  Before works this agent had valued it low.  After works this agent suggested a value 70% higher!  The lender persuaded receiver to sack one agent and instead use this agent.  No offers. (Price way too high).   Research has uncovered that this main investor has since died.  I guess his investment is part of probate? And his family want it back?    Disc shows the sacked agent had actually received a high offer 1y ago.  Receiver rejected it.  (thus I don't know if the buyer would have ever proceeded). He was relying on the high speculative valuation the agents had given him to pitch for the business. The agents were in a catch-22.  The receiver sacked them. Disc shows there has been 0 interest ever since (inc via new agent requested by lender). I don't think lender or receiver want all this to come out in public domain via a trial.  It will ruin their reputations. If I can't get an order for sale with lender - can I apply separately against receiver?
    • Ok many thanks. Just wanted to check that nothing else for us to do / send for the moment. Will update again once we receive a copy of their N181 and proposed directions for review. Our post is a bit hit and miss at the moment. Appreciate the help through this process.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

problem with credit purchases

ollie79
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5984 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

dear all,

I have a problem and its to do with debt. I hope someone here can offer a perspective than my own.

I have been reading for a few weeks in order to understand the situation and capabilities of most people here and to place my own. The total I am being chased for by the most troublesome creditor seems relatively small, sub £6k - but I guess that does not matter as it is the action the DCA takes that is important especially if the debtor is vulnerable, to be honest I would place myself in that category right now.

I am hesitant to describe the situation in detail as I would have liked to, having read of the person whose offer was removed due to having posted on here and the apparent monitoring, so I will try in approximate terms. part from the creditor which I'd be pressed to conceal, this is Black Horse and now Nationwide Collection Services.

I have been signed off work for the duration with mental illness, I dont have any money, assets, house or car.

i dont want to confuse things with a long history, but simply-

- this summer, i write in CAB-preferred format, recorded delivery saying that I am still in work but have run out of money and am experiencing stress and pressure from debt, and offer a pro rata repayment based on income & expenditure, with sheet. I visit the CAB to check my options but they are oversubscribed.

- harassment campaign from black horse, countless letters and agressive phonecalls, as many default notices as you like, no consistency from one call to the next. I write once more recorded delivery with a copy of the previous letter, no response of course.

- more recently I get ill, get signed off. visit CAB - they advise writing registered post to all (10 including BH) (NOT recorded as I cant afford it) and asking for suspension of payments. they say if it goes to court the judge should be able to see I have done my best, and though this will mean CCJs in BH's favour.

- BH dont respond to letters, obviously, and refer debt to Nationwide Collections (I believe this is their own company, since it makes no effort to hide the same font and letter format and so on, but i dont understand the liabilities or their powers). this is for one of the three accounts, i am expecting the same for the other two imminently. dates of CCA's were from 05 to mid-06.

Can anyone advise as to whether they agree with the CAB's suggestion and what if anything i should communicate to 'Nationwide'?

If its relevant, I worked in the shop where the CCA's were done (by my colleague). Hows that for karma..

I am mainly looking for advice here as I am at a bit of a low stage in life and do not want to make things worse with walk that cannot be backed up with talk (!) and I appreciate anything anyone can offer.

What kind of debt is it? Credit Card, Loan or overdraft.

You say you have already got some defaults, and IMHO you may well end up getting some CCJ's. so the course of action you should be taking now is damage limitation

I think you should write to your creditors using the letters in the link and make every effort to resolve the matter out of court.

From now on only write to them and send recorded. Keep copies of every letter sent and recieved DON'T SIGN YOUR LETTERS just type your name.

They will probably ignore your letters or refuse to negotiate, and just continue with their bullying tactics. Keep a log of all phone calls recieved time, date and number but refuse to speak to them and ask for whatever they have to say in writing.

You should consider sending CCA requests depending on what type of debt it is, It could be that some of the debt is unenforcable.

You should also consider sending a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) it may well prove that some of the debt is made up of charges, and reclaiming theise would reduce your debt.

If and when they get fed up and decide to take you to court you will be able to prove to the DG that you have done everything possible to resolve this out of court, and that they just wouldn't budge. The DG will take a dim view of your creditors and if you are still living hand to mouth you would probably be ordered to pay £1 per week or some such token payment.

The main thing is don't worry about this to the point where it is affecting your health it's not worth it.

Keep in touch on here you will be given loads of support and advice from people who do care.

The site helpers like curlyben, discmandave, bookworm and tomterm8 are brilliant and can probably give you better advice than me.

Your not alone Good luck

Chris

Hi Ollie

Welcome to CAG.

I know things are feeling pretty rubbish at the moment but you have taken the first steps to feeling empowered :)

You have done the right things in requesting your CCA's from your creditors, you say you can't afford recorded delivery, you can get a proof of posting free when you post your letters at the post office counter, although it doesn't prove delivery, it does prove you have sent the letter.

Personally, I don't think that the CAB have the best tack on debt management and counselling. They don't seem to hold much sway with the creditors. Only when you have received all the correct and enforcable paperwork (CAG members can help you with whether your agreements are enforcable), you may wish to consider contacting Payplan Free Debt Management company | Payplan or the CCCS CCCS - Free Debt Advice from the UK's Leading Debt Charity for some help about structuring your payments to your creditors. They can both advise you if it is better for you to be paying £1 per month or to enter into a debt management plan (DMP- but only normally if you have £100+ a month left over after all your expenses) or possibly even IVA if you have over a certain amount of debt.

Both are excellent and I would recommend talking to them, even if you decide not to go any further with them.

However bad things may seem now, you are not alone in this and if you hit any snags or problems, let us know and we can try to help.

TF x

All my knowledge has been gained from personal experience and the sharing of advice from fellow members.

Hi everyone, thanks so much for the welcome and all the info.

You are right, its key not to let these things get on top of you. I have done many a time and still do at times, but you have to keep a grip and a sense of whats most important.

ChrisW - To expand I have been sending letters from National Debtline templates since June to approx 8 creditors, including

Capital One card - approx 250

Dell (CIT) - finance on a PC (approx 400)

BH - 2 goods purchases over 48 months and one joint loan (approx 2400)

brit gas, npower - closed fuel accounts, roughly 1500

Only BH have gotten heavy but I expect the others to, bar Capital One, maybe.

My only income is benefits and the CAB made me do a budget, which they then checked and declared that I had no money, so I was best to write and offer none- not even £1 token, and then let a judge see that I had done so if it came to it. Its interesting that you say not to sign - I guess this way Im not culpable for the last offer of mine they SAY they received?

I guess Im here because I want to make sure I know all the options and not just this one. The CAB said they wouldnt advise me if anyone else had been doing so, so I stayed 'monogamous'.

Toothfairy - thanks for your encouragement - I havent requested CCA's - I have been reading but Im not sure I understand the ramifications of doing so, given that Im sick and benefit dependent.

I guess you could say Im weighing up whether the fight it may cause, is more than I can handle. On the other hand I dont want to sit and get 4 CCJ's if I can avoid it.

Babybear - thanks I will have a look at those.

Ooops I read your post incorrectly.

I would get your CCA's as a matter of priority, even if they are all perfectly valid, it is good to have them to hand, in case you ever need to query anything.

If they cannot provide them, then there is no enforcable debt and you can deal with the creditors who do have valid CCA's.

For the price of a few stamps, it's worth it.

I would just add that the utility debts won't have CCA's, they are not covered by the CCA legislation.

All my knowledge has been gained from personal experience and the sharing of advice from fellow members.

Ollie

The reason I said don't sign anything is, if you do send off a CCA request and they can't find the agreements they will employ the use of a scanner and make some new ones

Wish I'd come to this forum before.. they've fully furnished with a pile of them now - and Ive no doubt they would do that.

thanks anyway chris

edit - is there examples of them doing this that you have read of? and if so is there any way to counteract it?

Yes there is clear evidence on a couple of posts on here. as regards counteracting it, it would be very dificult to prove unless you had copies of the letters you sent, and could compare your sigs.

another tactic they use is to write and say we need to prove who you are please furnish us with five signatures etc.

If I may add my 2p worth...

Ollie, the advice that's been posted so far is great. However, what i'ld suggest if you already haven't done so is to contact, in the morning, the Consumer Credit Counseling Service. They are a registered charity and their advise is professional and without fee. Here is a link to their website service;

CCCS - Free Debt Advice from the UK's Leading Debt Charity

Your debts aren't as huge as many that we see here but i'm willing to bet that they're having a major impact on your life. There isn't anything that can't be achieved by sensible budgeting and planning for the future even when things look bleak. For this end that's why I always advocate the CCCS, from personal experience.

Good luck & best wishes. Regards, Dave.

If my post was helpful don't forget to click the scales!

Advice is offered freely, without liability and without prejudice.

If in any doubt professional advice should be sought.

I do not profess to be in any way legally trained, I am a big

oily wagon driver and all I know has been learned within the

Debt Action Group.

FAQ's

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o....se-read-these/

The Debt Action Group

Debt Collection & Debt Collection Agencies

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o....bt-collection/

General Debt Questions & Help

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o..../general-debt/

Trying to stop smoking?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o....-smoking-here/

A dummies guide to the forums

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o....i-dummies.html

--

Ollie check your messages I hope it helps.

Could I add, for the record that this is frowned upon.

Advise given by (To/From), Private Messages that is incorrect, cannot be corrected as it can in open forum. To that end it is discouraged.

Regards, Dave.