• Tweets

• One other point to note, the more I read, the more I study, the more proficient I feel I am becoming in this area. Make no mistake DBCL if you are reading this, when I win in court, if I have the grounds to make any claims against you, such as breach of GDPR, I shall be doing so.
    • Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other!
    • Six months of conflict have also taken a heavy economic toll.View the full article
    • the Town and Country [advertisments ] Regulations 2007 are not easy to understand. Most Council planing officials don't so it's good that you found one who knows. Although he may not have been right if the rogues have not been "controlling" in the car park for that long. The time only starts when the ANPR signs go up, not how long the area has been used as a car park.   Sadly I have checked Highview out and they have been there since at least 2014 . I have looked at the BPA Code of Practice version 8 which covers 2023 and that states Re Consideration and Grace Periods 13.3 Where a parking location is one where a limited period of parking is permitted, or where drivers contract to park for a defined period and pay for that service in advance (Pay & Display), this would be considered as a parking event and a Grace Period of at least 10 minutes must be added to the end of a parking event before you issue a PCN. It then goes on to explain a bit more further down 13.5 You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is. 13.6 Neither a consideration period or a grace period are periods of free parking and there is no requirement for you to offer an additional allowance on top of a consideration or grace period. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________So you have  now only overstayed 5 minutes maximum since BPA quote a minimum of 10 minutes. And it may be that the Riverside does have a longer period perhaps because of the size of the car park? So it becomes even more incumbent on you to remember where the extra 5 minutes could be.  Were you travelling as a family with children or a disabled person where getting them in and out of the car would take longer. Was there difficulty finding a space, or having to queue to get out of the car park . Or anything else that could account for another 5 minutes  without having to claim the difference between the ANPR times and the actual times.
    • Regarding a driver, that HAS paid for parking but input an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number.   This is an easy mistake to make, especially if a driver has access to more than one vehicle. First of all, upon receiving an NTK/PCN it is important to check that the Notice fully complies with PoFA 2012 Schedule 4 before deciding how to respond of course. The general advice is NOT to appeal to the Private Parking Company as, for example, you may identify yourself as driver and in certain circumstances that could harm your defence at a later stage. However, after following a recent thread on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that, in the case of inputting an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number, which is covered by “de minimis” it may actually HARM your defence at a later stage if you have not appealed to the PPC at the first appeal stage and explained that you DID pay for parking and CAN provide proof of parking, it was just that an incorrect VRN was input in error. Now, we all know that the BPA Code of Practice are guidelines from one bunch of charlatans for another bunch of charlatans to follow, but my thoughts are that there could be problems in court if a judge decides that a motorist has not followed these guidelines and has not made an appeal at the first appeal stage, therefore attempting to resolve the situation before it reaches court. From BPA Code of Practice: Section 17:  Keying Errors B) Major Keying Errors Examples of a major keying error could include: • Motorist entered their spouse’s car registration • Motorist entered something completely unrelated to their registration • Motorist made multiple keying errors (beyond one character being entered incorrectly) • Motorist has only entered a small part of their VRM, for example the first three digits In these instances we would expect that such errors are dealt with appropriately at the first appeal stage, especially if it can be proven that the motorist has paid for the parking event or that the motorist attempted to enter their VRM or were a legitimate user of the car park (eg a hospital patient or a patron of a restaurant). It is appreciated that in issuing a PCN in these instances, the operator will have incurred charges including but not limited to the DVLA fee and other processing costs therefore we believe that it is reasonable to seek to recover some of these costs by making a modest charge to the motorist of no more than £20 for a 14-day period from when the keying error was identified before reverting to the charge amount at the point of appeal. Now, we know that the "modest charge" is unenforceable in law, however, it would be up to the individual if they wanted to pay and make the problem go away or in fact if they wanted to contest the issue in court. If the motorist DOES appeal to the PPC explaining the error and the PPC rejects the appeal and the appeal fails, the motorist can use that in his favour at court.   Defence: "I entered the wrong VRN by mistake Judge, I explained this and I also submitted proof of payment for the relevant parking period in my appeal but the PPC wouldn't accept that"   If the motorist DOES NOT appeal to the PPC in the first instance the judge may well use that as a reason to dismiss the case in the claimant's favour because they may decide that they had the opportunity to resolve the matter at a much earlier stage in the proceedings. It is my humble opinion that a motorist, having paid and having proof of payment but entering the wrong VRN, should make an appeal at the first appeal stage in order to prevent problems at a later stage. In this instance, I think there is nothing to be gained by concealing the identity of the driver, especially if at a later stage, perhaps in court, it is said: “I (the driver) entered the wrong VRN.” Whether you agree or not, it is up to the individual to decide …. but worth thinking about. Any feedback, especially if you can prove to the contrary, gratefully received.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Help!! Bms Letter Chasing Debt

Frisbo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5612 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone i need some serious advise. I received a letter from BMS chasing debt i owe to Barclays back in 2002. I got this letter about 4 weeks ago so i checked some threads and replied on the 1/11/07 requesting a copy of the loan agreement. I received a letter today 20 days after i requested this which has an unsigned copy of the credit agreement and some copies of statements showing the loan and repayments. It also states a CCJ was obtained in 2004 but i have never received any documents to show this. I work within a bank who does quarterly credit checks to see if any employees have a ccj against them. I am still in my job after 4 years.

I need to respond to BMS within 7 days, i dont have the money to pay this silly mistake i made in my younger days.

Is there any way out...

Hi Frisbo.

Did you use the template from this site?

I only ask because i made an informal request to Barclays a while ago and received a typed sheet of paper. I then realised i need the correct legal words / terms for it to be effective.

If you did do this. Scan up what you received - if you can, for further advice :)

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

It also states a CCJ was obtained in 2004 but i have never received any documents to show this.

This sounds dubious but it would be best to get a copy of your credit report to check.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

so i checked some threads and replied on the 1/11/07 requesting a copy of the loan agreement.

If it was the CCA request, they need to provide you with an executed copy of the agreement. An unsigned agreement simply won't do, but you need to check on that CCJ first.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Yeah... I would send the DCA a SAR at this stage.

if they have lied about you having a CCJ they are in real trouble.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

I only ask because i made an informal request to Barclays a while ago and received a typed sheet of paper. I then realised i need the correct legal words / terms for it to be effective.

It was informal but i basically stated i was unware of any debt and to send me the agreement.

I did an Experian online report about 3 months ago and that showed no ccj's against my name just a debt that was satisfied in 2004

Oh so their telling porkies then and you have it in writing too :) They are in deep doo doo.

The experian report does not show the address i was at when i took out the loan as it was beyond the time of address but it has related me to to that address under previous searches. The report states no ccj's against my name under public records.

The letter reads

We write with reference to the above account and to your letter dated on the 5th November(this was posted on the 1st and i have receipt), the contents which we note.

Please find enclosed copy bank statements and a copy of the loan agreements for you perusal(not signed).

We can confirm that the county court judgement was obtained on the 8th January 2004(i have nothing to show this) at ---------- county court, case number XA31----.

We belive that this is your debt and confirm that the outstanding balance is in the sum of £6900.66 therefore, please find enclosed an income and expenditure form which we ask you to complete and return back to this office within 7 days from the date of this letter, and upon receipt, your consideration will be given to yours of repayment.

We trust the above clarifies the situation and we look forward to receiving the above mentioned paperwork.

Please Help

Hi guys, please tell me if this letter will be ok to send to BMS... Any ideas to addon will be greatly appreciated.

Re: BARCLAYS BANK PLC - YOUR REFERENCE: #####

I DO NOT ACKNOLEDGE ANY DEBT

With reference to the above agreement you have not supplied me with the true, signed copy of the credit agreement.

We understand that under the Consumer Credit Act (sections 77-79) we are entitled to receive this on request.

We also understand a signed copy of this agreement should have been supplied within 12 working days. This was requested on the 1st November, 12 days have exceeded.

We understand that under the Consumer Credit Act creditors are unable to enforce any agreement if they fail to comply with this request under these sections of the Act.

Firstly, i would wait before sending this letter. it is a further 30 calendar days after the 12 before they have committed an offence - they can still produce it at this stage and they would be OK.

Is there any particular reason why you are keen to send off the letter this soon, e.g. harrassment etc.?

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

2 threads merged and one tread deleted. Please keep to one thread so that people can follow your progress and advise accordingly.

As tiglet states you need to wait a little longer, you only sent the CCA request on the 1st November. There is no CCJ so stop worrying about that.

At the moment you don't have to do anything. If they get in touch please post back on here. Once the 30 days are up ideally you want them to get in touch with you and ask fo payment, this strengthens any complaint you may make. In the mean time if you have any questions just post them and someone will answer. Try not to worry about this.

I have today received another letter from BMS, it says

We note from our records that we have still not received the income and expenditure form that was requested in our previous correspondence. We are trying to assist you with the repayment of the outstanding balance, however if your financial situation is not confirmed, we will not be able to assist you further.

In the event that you are unable to confirm your financial situation, we shall have no alternative other than to assume that you are in a position to pay the full balance.

We therefore suggest that you complete the enclosed form and return it within 7 days from the date of this letter.

Should we not be in receipt of this form within the above timescale, we shall assume that you will not discharge your liability with this company and as such we will have no alternative other than to take further action in accordance with the county court judgement obtained against you, either by way of an attachment of earnings order, baliff or a charging order will be placed against any property ownedby you.

Please Help

He is a reply I used recently plagerised from other posts naturally. Of course you dont have to respond you are still waiting for CCA yes?

Dear Sir/Madam

My request under s78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974

Account Number –

Thank you for your letter dated *****, the contents of which are noted. However, you have not yet responded to my letter dated ******I am still awaiting your response.

The Act demands that I be supplied with a true copy of any properly executed credit agreement that exists in relation to the above account. I may ask for this on demand providing that a fee of £1.00 is paid. This fee was sent with my original letter, dated ******. Upon receipt of the original request the specified account legally entered into disputed status.

Whilst the account is in dispute, you are not permitted to ask for any payment, nor am I obliged to offer any payment to you. Furthermore, whilst the dispute remains, you are not entitled to charge any interest on the account, nor make any further charges to the account. Additionally, you are not entitled to register any information on this account with any credit reference agencies (or any third party).

To register information with a credit reference agency, you must have written consent from the data subject to collate and share such information. This consent is given in the form of a signed credit agreement, so until you produce such an agreement, you may not do this.

The requirement for consent to share data is a clear requirement of the Data Protection Act 1998. Any such attempts to share my data without my consent will be met with a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office.

The time limits, which are laid down in the Consumer Credit (Prescribed Periods for Giving Information) Regulations 1983 are clear. You must supply an executed credit agreement within 12 working days of a proper CCA request. If you fail to comply with a legitimate request the account enters a default situation and if you fail to comply after a further 30 days you commit an offence.

To sum up, I will not be making any further payments to you until you provide me with the document I have requested. Should you not have any signed credit agreement in relation to this alleged debt, please confirm this in writing to me.

I have received a copy of the agreement but not the original and not signed as stated in the above post, also some computer prints of a statement showing payments made on the loan, can i still send the above letter due to not receiving the original agreement and see what comes back as i dont think they will wait any longer before taking action which i dont want or need, i will send this letter and await reply, i appreciate the help so far

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a response to this letter

Barclays Account Reference ******

We write with referencde to the above account and to your letter dated 30th November 2007, the contents which we note.

For us to determine whether you are our customer, we will need you to confirm some details.

Please could you confirm your date of birth and send proof by way of driving licence of birth certificate(a copy of these will be sufficient).

Also can you confirm if you have ever lived at ** --------- ----- (the address showin on the credit agreement and statement we have previously sent you) (previous thread). If you have not then we will need proof of how long you have lived at your current address.

We not from our records that we don not have a telephone number from you. If you could also supply this to us, this will help us resolve this quicker.

We trust this clarifies the situation and if you have any queries with regards to the above please do not hesitate to contact this office.

yours sincerely

(the 6 years run out in January, do i stall them? i still not had the signed agreement either)

please advise me

thanks

Dear Sirs,

RE Account NO XXXXXXXX

Thank you for your letter dated xx/xx/2007 the contents of which are noted

In your letter you make reference to requiring my signed authorisation before you comply. I draw your attention to the fact that the Consumer Credit Act 1974 does not require that i supply you a copy of my signature before you comply with my S78 request.

If it is for Data Protection purposes then i can happily supply you with documentation to substantiate my identity to you.

However please note that to date you have happily sent statements and correspondence containing extensive sensitive private information to my address. I have to ask if you are concerned that you are corresponding with the correct person why has it taken so long to raise this?

As you are aware, disclosing data without adequate checks of identity is contrary to the 7th principal of data protection, listed in schedule 1 of the Data protection Act 1998:

7. Appropriate technical and organisational measures shall be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal data.

My request for a true copy of my credit agreement under section 77/78 was made on xx/xx/2007 and the 12 working days for your compliance expire on xx/xx/2007. I note that there is no provision that removes the requirements of the act to provide this information on time, even if you are unsure of my identity.

i look forward to receiving the documentation requested

Regards

as long as the letter above in post 23 is a response to your CCA request, send the idjits this letter. it makes it clear where we stand

regards

paul

• Haha 1

Thanks, the 12 days are up on the 11th as my letter was dated 30th nov, how much of a difference is this, does this mean they cant enforce the debt? do i have the upper hand at the moment