Had a verbal full and final settlement offer from Intrum Justitia, what to do?

billy_bob

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5052 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Got a debt of 20K come to an agreement with Intrum Justitia (debt was with Tesco Finance unsure if the have bought my debt) of paying back £200 a month. Recieved a phone call last week my 6 month payment review, they increased the payment to £220 a month. But they have offered a full and final settlement figure of £13,076.88 if I pay the money before the end of the month. I have had nothing in writing from them and the end of the month is looming. My g/f is going to lend me the money to clear the debt as she has it in the bank and are looking at this offer as a way to save 7k as the debt would have to been repaid in full as its my debt. But i have nothing in writing from the in past I have asked for information in writing from Intrum Justitia but they always phone. I have written the letter below will this suffice? We cant really afford for them to remove this offer as a saving of 7k is alot of money

"Dear Sir/Madam

Ref: Account No. xxxxxxx

Further to my telephone conversation with your xxxxx I have considered your offer of £13,076.88 for full and final settlement of the above account.

I can confirm that I have managed to raise the funds and have enclosed a cheque for the above figure in full and final settlement. Please note the cheque is not in my name but is in the name of xxxxxxxx who is my partner. Please ensure even though the cheque is not in my name the funds are allocated to my account.

This payment is made on the clear understanding that neither you nor any associate company will take any other action to enforce or pursue this debt in anyway whatsoever and that I will be released from any liability.

On clearance of the funds you are to mark any entry on a credit reference agency file relating to the above account as “satisfied in full” this is to include the CCJ that is currently shown as payment outstanding.

As this is full and final settlement I have cancelled the monthly direct debit with my bank so that no further funds can be debited from my account. Please cancel the direct debit from your end also.

Please confirm the above once the cheque has cleared"

Advice?

Hi Billybob.

Firstly i would want to confirm that Intrum Justitia are legally entitled to collect the debt. You could do this by sending a CCA request. Do you remember signing an agreement? If an agreement isn't produced you would be able to negotiate a lower payment. If they do own the debt, they would only have paid a very small amount for it.

Whatever happens, i would not pay any large sums until you have it in writing. Telephone conversations mean they can rebuke / deny anything said as you will have no prooof.

Hold on for a few more opinions on here ;)

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

Its a very long story but the debt is 100% mine there is no dispute there. So at the end of the day I am going to have to repay it, so with the offer they are offering I can save 7k. I have asked if they the own the debt or are they collecting on behalf of tesco/rbs. They claim to be collecting it on behalf of tesco/rbs.

If you want to accept the offer, assuming you are sure they are the owners of the debt, ask them to confirm their offer in writing. Make sure they state it is full and final.

Make no payments otherwise.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

Ok. Just be VERY careful the words full and final settlement are included in the letter. And the words "WITHOUT PREJUDICE" are not;)

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

billy bob

If they have purchased the debt then they probably paid no more than a few hundred quid for it. so you settling for 13k + if one hell of a profit.

First find out if they own the debt or are acting as agents for Tesco. You could do this by asking for the original CCA and a deed of assignment from them. At least it gives you a better position in which to make them a lower offer, which I would do anyway never just accept the first offer HAGGLE

IMHO dont pay the £13K. I recently had a debt with IJ originally Nat West for £16.4k, they settled for full & final payment of £4.1 (25%) and I got it in writing via a scanned letter from them. I hope this helps you.

ASP.

Nat West - £16k debt - settled f&f £4k

Cap One - £8.5k debt - settled f&f £2.1k

Egg - £15.5k debt - settled f&f £3.9k

Lloyds Tsb - £5k debt - settled f&f £1.2k (Lit)

Barclaycard - £10.8k - lost agreement

£39k of debt still to go!