Is there anything I can do about my two parking tickets?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5054 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I've been having a read on the other threads on here but I can't seem to find anything that is similar to my problem. I have 2 parking tickets, one from when I borrowed my mum's car and the other from when I was in my sister's car!!

I have contested both of these tickets but they have replied saying that they cannot cancel the parking tickets.

Both tickets were received in the same place, where I live there is a patch of spare land in a triangle shape which has single yellow lined roads with pavements down 2 of it's sides and a footpath down the other. Everybody parks on here adjacent to each other down the footpath edge.

The reason on both tickets is 'Parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours' at the time of issue I searched everywhere for some time plates indicating the 'prescribed hours' and couldn't see any, on the last occasion I asked the attendant who had issued the ticket and she pointed to a sign and said that it's Mon - Sat 08.00 - 18.00. When I looked at this sign it was a blue circle clearway sign with a white box under it with the word 'End' displayed. I am certain that there were no more signs. Since contesting a sign seems to have appeared detailing the restrictions about 6ft further round the pavement from where the other sign is, now I'm convinced it wasn't there before but I am now starting to doubt myself!!

Even so, my argument is - I wasn't even on the road!

Their response is:

"As you enter Manchester City Centre, you will pass a Controlled Zone sign. These signs explain that the rules for single yellow lines apply 8am-6pm Mon-Sat. The streets inside the zone do not have to have signs giving this information (except where other resrictions apply). The way we sign our zones complies with the law.

Where there is a yellow line, the parking rules apply to the pavement or off road area too. So, altough you were parked on the pavement or off the road, you committed the same contravention as a vehicle parked on the road. This also applies to private land where the land in question has been identified as indistinguishable from the highway and as such is subject to the parking restrictions on the highway.

This rule exists because vehicles parked on the pavement or off the road can get in the way of pedestrians, especially blind people or people with prams and can damage verges, kerb stones or underground pipes"

For one I was no where near the pavement so would not have been in anyones way, to get onto this land I went up a dropped kerb so causing no damage and if I was going to damage underground pipes by parking here surely I'd damage them also when the parking restrictions do not apply???

I'm very sorry this is a bit lengthy but I wanted to give all the details, I think the ticket is OK becasue it has "date if notice" in the top right corner and then times "From/To" and "on" with the date.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks

x

I've just been doing a bit of research on this and does anybody think that if I appeal on the grounds that the have put on the ticket that Contravention (01) has occured which is an 'On Street' Offence but I wasn't actually on the street, I was off the road....... Would this make it invalid??

I've just been doing a bit of research on this and does anybody think that if I appeal on the grounds that the have put on the ticket that Contravention (01) has occured which is an 'On Street' Offence but I wasn't actually on the street, I was off the road....... Would this make it invalid??[/quote]

No as it was on street as opposed to being in a car park which I assume it wasn't from your description.

In a controlled area the only place you can legally park is in a bay of some form ie permit or pay and display, a car park or on private land. The reply from the Council was correct and unless the area you parked in was private property the area is part of the restricted street.

Thanks for this :( do you think there is anything I could do? I've missed the date to pay the £30 now for each of them so would cost me £120.00 in total, I realise that this is my fault but I really didn't realise that the same rules applied for off road areas. You'd think I'd learn after the first one but the second one I got on a Saturday and thought I'd be OK on weekends :(

have you the chance to appeal this with NPAS.. if so go down that route, you may find that this is worth doing... it will also give you a chance to save up the money if the appeal falls through, NPAS are very thorough and will pick up on any you may have missed or the council have failed to provide in way of details

• 2 years later...
Hi All,

hi i got 2 tickts today but diffrnt places only one houre diffrent the reason on both tickets is ,parked in a restricted street i hav no idea what to do pluse im on jo seeker alownce i do,not hav eny mony to pay 120 pound just wanna know r they alowed to issue u two tickets same day but diffrent places and pluse if u r on job seeker alownce can they do some thing about it please reply thnx

!

yes they can issue two in the same day for different places. JSA makes no difference at all. post up pics of the PCNS as they be flawed, many are but we can't tell without seeing them.

Hi All,

hi i got 2 tickts today but diffrnt places only one houre diffrent the reason on both tickets is ,parked in a restricted street i hav no idea what to do pluse im on jo seeker alownce i do,not hav eny mony to pay 120 pound just wanna know r they alowed to issue u two tickets same day but diffrent places and pluse if u r on job seeker alownce can they do some thing about it please reply thnx

!

If you parked in a restricted street twice in the same day at 2 different locations, then they will be treated a seperate infingements. Unless there is something wrong with the PCNs or signage, you are banged to rights.

Being on benefits will make no difference at all.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice usefull.