personal and private data on 2cds

ChopsWillis

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5053 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello I am new here.

I probably wouldn't have stumbled across this site if it wasn't for 2 things...

1. Student Loan Company is doing what it does best and is using cowardice bully tactics, sending me automated letters and threats and being very annoying and incompetent

2. Today's news : the government has lost 2 cds containing personal and private data of 25 million people

"The discs contained personal details including names, address, dates of birth, National Insurance numbers and, where relevant, bank details of 25 million people. "http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7104840.stm

I was about to reply to the umpteenth SLC letter this evening when I read about the "Child Benefit id fraud threat" and it made me realise that these are the same people, ultimately, that have access to my SLC data too.... so I started doing a search to find out about the Data Protection Act... And while I was at it I thought I would see if there were any other peeps less than satisfied with SLC... and it led me here

So we'll see where we go from here... from what I've read I'm tempted to ignore the SLC from now on, as they are clearly incompetent, ignorant blundering idiots and a complete waste of time and energy. Either wait for them to take me to court which I would wager will never happen due to their own dis-organisation, too many cooks, etc OR it's time to roll up my sleeves and tackle them head on and threaten court action back...and put an end to this nonsense.

Anyway hello to all, thanks for the info and help so far, got me thinking...!

And good luck in your struggles.

Do not be intimidated by bully tactics - don't let them win.

Here's the most scary thing, If the data was encypted there wouldn't be the worries that there seems to be. It would take years for a supercomputer to break a 128 or 256 strength encyption based on prime numbers.

So how does a 23 year old Junior Administrational Operative have access to either a) administartive rights to the said database probably SQL or Oracle b) the cypher to decrypt the files, c) the knowledge to perform an export without technical assistance d) the ability within such an organisation to act without any senior authority input.

They're the questions that need looking at before blaming a scapegoat!

Also it now appears that the ICO can audit without the `permission` of the department involved (ok I would have thought this was the case anyway otherwise what's the point of a watchdog?) Let's ask them to audit the SLC :-P