• Tweets

• Agree it is not a modification that needs to be disclosed to Insurers as changing the seats has not changed the risk.  
    • Frpm David Frost and Robert Jenrick: 'Conservatives must show we respect the votes in 2016 and 2019 and not give the Opposition the chance to undo the benefits of leaving the EU'   Sweep away the Brexit gloom – or Labour will unravel a huge gain ARCHIVE.PH archived 22 Apr 2024 05:47:50 UTC  
    • Please please help we were miss sold full fibre by EE July 22  Install couldn’t go ahead no equipment sent and no. Survey it was hell  foind out no full fibre in road so we had to go back to cooper no choice we involved. Ceo and they put in a man from customer resolution s  he was vile he told me I had to go to engineers  something very odd about the ex resolution s in bt basically they took my drive up said they Would put ducting in ready for full fibre we have got £ 40 for a hours upon hours phones stress and more told to go to ombudsman  then bill was £35 we called twice told it was that price as they had treated us appalling two weeks later all sky package gets pulled we call again our bill goes to 165 the next two weeks was hell trying to get yo bottom why it’s off our package it was all on in the end I spent a day on the phone  341 mins was the call anyway I got to the bottom it was this resolution man coveting up the other issue another deadlock  to cover it all up  they hide data  ee did so couldn’t get the miss sell in writing I have now only from sept  Basically now we tried getting full fibre and they have found my drive had to be taken up again which has sunk .  The engineer has placed the wrong ducting again under my drive and need s to be taken to again apparently and the pipe sticks up middle of the drive near gate not behind look so odd it’s a big as a drain pipe open to water and it’s below touching the electrical cables to hot tub . I was sent a letter from the ex resolution to say I had stopped the work  I haven’t  it’s so sadistic she covering up for her mate in that team as the orginal install he didn’t check it had been done correctly  I took to Twitter and posted on open reach they ignored me then after 3 calls of two weeks they sent a engineer bt ignored me ceo emails blocked tag on Twitter unanswered then we get someone from twitter send a engineer he written report to say it’s dangerous since we have  had a  letter to say our problem can not be resolved  then a email to say sorry we are leaving and we can’t get into our account Bt will not talk to us ofcom tells us nothing they can do Citzens advice said go to the police  we can’t go back to virgin due so mass issue with them only option is sky  but point is they make out we have canceled we haven’t we have this mess on our drive dangeous work we are in hell  it’s like she covering up for this collegue it’s all very odd I am disabled and they like played mentaly with me open reach say bt resolved the issue no they have not  I recon they have terminated us making our we have  to hide it from mgt  Help it’s hell I don’t sleep we have 29 may we have tried  calling they just ignore me  at first they are so lovely as they say I am then they go to nnamager and say we can’t say anything to you end call  Scared police are rubbish I need help even typing is so painfull  Thankyou  anyone hello be so grateful     
    • There's a thread somewhere about someone sending the baillifs against Wizzair that is quite hilarious. I would love to see someone do the same to Ryanair. Question is, should you be the one to take that role. You are entitled to the £220, if your flight was from the UK. If it was TO the UK I suppose it is more of a grey area... though the airlines I know have been using £220 as standard. Not that surprising for Ryanair, the worst cheapskates in the universe, to go for the lower amount, and if you forward this to the CEO he will probably have a jolly good laugh and give his accountants a verbal bonus. After all he's the one who said and I paraphrase "F*** our customers, they'll fly with us again anyway". While we would all love to see Ryanair get wooped in court again, I have to join my fellow posters in thinking it's not worth the hassle for (hypothetically) £7 and not sure it will expedite the payment either. It's already an achievement that you got them to accept to pay.
    • The US competition watchdog has taken legal action to stop Tapestry's $8.5bn takeover of rival Capri.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Indeed a very, very grey area!

Surfer01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5994 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It seems that the mobile phone communication networks operate in a very grey area as no one seems certain where you stand legally and I think they take advantage of this and take us to the cleaners.

They do not have to supply copies of contracts, they do not have to notify you of a default notice, in fact they just do as it pleases them. I wonder if any one has challenged them in court yet? A pity none of us understand the laws governing the network suppliers.

Your views and thoughts!

No more than any other industry that uses contracts (BT, Virgin, ISP's) I'm not sure which grey area(s) you are specifically addressing - where you stand legally is is where the Terms & Conditions you agreed to take precedence. I dislike the idea that you can be held to agree to something without written confirmation (say a signature of acceptance) but you have to thank the Banks for driving this one through. Direct Debits being a case in point. Any firm who has the capability to use BACS to administer their debit system only has to enter a Sort Code and an account number to take money from you. You then have to prove you didn't. Because of the ease in which this is policed, any firm can do what they like and you have to fight your corner.

It is the courts who held that a customer giving his bank details to support a mobile contract and making payments in this way confirmed that the contract existed and would be bound by those terms. Nothing grey about that.

As to the defaults - this is the dictionary definition, you've failed to pay when you said you would. It is the Credit Reference agencies who perpetrate this, making a late payment default assume the status of a CCJ, all without you having the chance to go to court and defend the case.

For the 'copy contracts', the customer will have received the a copy at the time, for the rest, the T&Cs are on line. I've had a BT line for 20 odd years. I've lost my original contract but the terms are on line should I wish to look for them.

The laws regarding these contracts are enshrined in Contract Law. If we don't understand them, surely the answer is either take the time to learn the ramifications, or take a no-contract PAYG route? At the end of the day we do have to be responsible for our actions, not try and find someone to blame for our mistakes?

If we start by ensuring that DDM's and Phone Contracts have to be physically SIGNED and witnessed as in the days of old, that should stop many of the problems dead in their tracks!

No more than any other industry that uses contracts (BT, Virgin, ISP's) I'm not sure which grey area(s) you are specifically addressing - where you stand legally is is where the Terms & Conditions you agreed to take precedence. I dislike the idea that you can be held to agree to something without written confirmation (say a signature of acceptance) but you have to thank the Banks for driving this one through. Direct Debits being a case in point. Any firm who has the capability to use BACS to administer their debit system only has to enter a Sort Code and an account number to take money from you. You then have to prove you didn't. Because of the ease in which this is policed, any firm can do what they like and you have to fight your corner. Agreed!

It is the courts who held that a customer giving his bank details to support a mobile contract and making payments in this way confirmed that the contract existed and would be bound by those terms. Nothing grey about that. So if you agreed to a 12 month contract at "x" rate per unit and they state that you are on a 18 month contract at "y", they are right?

As to the defaults - this is the dictionary definition, you've failed to pay when you said you would. It is the Credit Reference agencies who perpetrate this, making a late payment default assume the status of a CCJ, all without you having the chance to go to court and defend the case. So if you default as a result of their misleading statements togh luck on you?

For the 'copy contracts', the customer will have received the a copy at the time, for the rest, the T&Cs are on line. I've had a BT line for 20 odd years. I've lost my original contract but the terms are on line should I wish to look for them. I have never have received a copy contract for any long term mobile contract despite requesting it at the time.

The laws regarding these contracts are enshrined in Contract Law. If we don't understand them, surely the answer is either take the time to learn the ramifications, or take a no-contract PAYG route? At the end of the day we do have to be responsible for our actions, not try and find someone to blame for our mistakes? I am not trying to find any one to blame, just information which hopefully will be obtained on this site at some point.

If we start by ensuring that DDM's and Phone Contracts have to be physically SIGNED and witnessed as in the days of old, that should stop many of the problems dead in their tracks!

Agreed

Can I just add a point to the people who claim not to know what contract they are on (until they finally notice they're paying more than expected like 6 months later); on your bills (with one network anyway) it actually states what price plan you are being billed for, how much it is, and what your allowance is. I therefore do not understand people who say that they were unaware they were on a different price plan to what htey thought. Obviously, this is irrelevant to people who notice straight away that a network has put them on the wrong price plan, but a large number of people simply just do not read their terms and conditions or their bills.

Have to agree - but what sticks in my throat is when the networks are allowed to claim a phone comes with a HALF-PRICE promise. In it, you'll be charged £15 instead of £30. So far so good, but the small print then says you only get it half price for 3 or 6 months, whilst the contract duration is !8 months, so the 'half-price' come-on may have been factually correct, but is still misleading.

I'd love to see the ASA insist that any price promotion should be for a limited period, if a minimum contract of service is required, then that discount must run for that period also.

Can I just add a point to the people who claim not to know what contract they are on (until they finally notice they're paying more than expected like 6 months later); on your bills (with one network anyway) it actually states what price plan you are being billed for, how much it is, and what your allowance is. I therefore do not understand people who say that they were unaware they were on a different price plan to what htey thought. Obviously, this is irrelevant to people who notice straight away that a network has put them on the wrong price plan, but a large number of people simply just do not read their terms and conditions or their bills.

I agree but if something changes you will not know about it until after you receive the bill as in my case. As it was through an agent I have no comeback.

I agree but if something changes you will not know about it until after you receive the bill as in my case. As it was through an agent I have no comeback.

How will you not know? Both Virgin and BT have advised customers of the changes to their contract prior to the implementation. In BTs case, the Late Payment charge was snuck in a revised list of T&Cs in minuscule print, as part of their BT Update bill stuffer.

Since hardly anybody reads it (but I did and reported on the changes here) it is difficult to challenge when you don't object until after the items appears on your bill. In BT's case, we had 3 month's notice - but only if you read the info. They say they must give you 30 days notice, so they managed that!

To be fair, if something other than T&Cs were to change ie a price plan or promotion, and a customer did not notice until their first bill after the change (which is understandable) then I personally would go to my manager and argue the customer's case to try to correct the error if there seemed to be one.

I do not, however, have much sympathy for people who have either (1) had 3 months notice T&Cs are changing and do not do anything until like 6 months later, or (2) had a price plan change / bundle removed/added / discount ended - which shows on every single bill - yet the customer does not bother actually reading the bill so does not notice until like 6 months later and then wants a complete refund. I have had customers actually admit to me that they just simply did not read their bills, yet somehow it is still my fault.

Customers have to take some of the responsibility in these situations. But like I said at the start of this post, if someone calls me after the first bill then I will pull out all the stops trying to solve the problem.

In my case I was assured in writing that once the free period had expired I would be charged £4 per gigabyte download and it was for this specific reason that I agreed to the Orange contract as I could have subscribed to Vodafone for a datacard as I did not really need the phones.

It the turned out that the agent had mislead me on download costs however I was stuck in a 12 month contract with over £700 of downlaod charges accummalated in the period of two months. It turns out it should have been £4 per megabyte and if i had know that there is no ways that I would have taken out the Oranger subscription as Vodafone at £43 for 1GB would have been cheaper.

Because I never had a contract from Orange stating costs once the freebie period ended I never had a leg to stand on and subsequnently got defaulted as there was no ways I could fork out £700 in two months. The only thing I had in writing was the email from the agent and although I sent a copy to Orange they were not interested.

Now that I want to pursue it to get the default removed I am finding that no one is very clear on what network suppliers can do and what they can't do, even professional people as everything seems to almost but not quite skirt around the outside of the consumer law, i.e. as there is no CCA covering this, is there any point in doing a SAR etc. Besides Ofcom who are not interested, is there any one else you cna turn to for clarification of the rules and regulations governing sale and use of mobile phones.

Thanks for your view lawbunny and Buzby.

Ah ha! This is a different issue. The network told you one thing yet are doing something else. Did the email mention the price which the Orange person had quoted you? As if it does, I don't think Orange would have a leg to stand on. Although, they would probably just point you towards their online T&Cs and say you should have read those.

The email received from the agent stated the price per gigabyte but it was only 3 months later I found out that I had been misquoted. Although I can probably claim back the excess paid I am more interested in getting the default removed and as such I haven't got anything I cna quote at them except to say that in a way the contractwas not really valid and if it was not really valid then the T & Cs would fall away. yeah i know I am grasping at straws but my "contract" knowledge is sparse especially when dealing with companies like Orange.

Hopefully lawbunny you may be able to come up with something because it the "normal" world as the promise of goods at a certain price was nto forthcoming the contract should be null & void. Thanks for taking the trouble to respond.

Why can't a supplier be held liable to actions of their agents? Would stop a lot of crap dead in its tracks as the supplier will rap the agent.

Bearing in mind that I do not work for Orange, I have to say if I had a customer in your situation who could actually fax me a copy of the email etc (to be honest, most of our outgoing emails are recorded on the customer's account anyway so I would probably be able to see it already) then my manager and I would credit you back for the extra charges and pass the default issue up to be dealt with. I don't really see how Orange could possibly argue otherwise - you have written correspondence from Orange stating the price (admittedly, they got it wrong, but that's not your problem).

hi surfer,

i was in the same position as you yesterday i viewed my bill online and saw 5.00 credited on for some weekend thing so obviously i called them up and said whats this im 3 months into my contract i spoke to a very rude man who said you signed up to this contract and agreed to the contract-you never cancelled the download offer hence you will be charged for the remainder of your contract-i was mad and said noone mentioned this to me and therefore i wil not be paying for that i siggned up for the phone,the minutes the texts and the contract for 24 months but not that bit,if i had done so i would pay for it,the man then got aggresive and even ruder saying well i tell you what we'll charge you for the phone and all the calls you've made and keep on billing you-how you gonna like that so u told him i am not stupid i know what i signed upto and can prove it as when i registered the handset i recorded the call and there was no mention of this download thing they're charging me for, i said i can prove i did not - can you prove i did as i always record calls i make to use when people try to lie (obviously he pooped himself as he'd been unprofessional,rude and ended my call) no doubt about it im fuming now rang back explained the situation to a lady who said yes he wasnt comfortable about being recorded i have the notes here i said i bet he wasnt after how he just spoke to me-she cancelled all charges for not paying by direct debit,ended the extra thing i was supposedly going to be continouly charged for and it will be credited back to my account

(and guys i didnt record him isnt it so funny though the result you get when you say you can show their incompetance..........)

Hey, I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience, I'm glad you got a competent csa who could sort the problem out for you, although I have to point out that if near the end of one of my calls a customer then said she had been recording the call but had never advised me of this I would be rather annoyed also - even if you were faking it, you should have told him that to start with. It's possible this gentleman has arranged for a notification to be put on your account now that you record calls and do not inform anyone, so all future csa's will not be a bit edgy when talking to you.

...although I have to point out that if near the end of one of my calls a customer then said she had been recording the call but had never advised me of this I would be rather annoyed also - even if you were faking it, you should have told him that to start with. It's possible this gentleman has arranged for a notification to be put on your account now that you record calls and do not inform anyone, so all future csa's will not be a bit edgy when talking to you.

Why should any 'honest' CSA be worried if a call is recorded? As most companies now record incoming calls what is the problem? As long as BOTH parties are not telling any 'porky pies' or giving bull***t, as with the companies copy, the recording would be kept as a clear memo of the conversation and all point made regarding the problem in question.

If you are doing your job correctly and honestly why, as a CSA, are you in fear of your conversation being recorded? :?

I'm honest. It wouldn't make any difference to my advice, but it's just courtesy. The network advises you that they might record your calls, it's only polite to do the same thing. If I was helping a customer and building good rapport with them I would be unhappy if they then turned round later in the call and said "oh, by the way, I'm recording you". Just like you wouldn't be happy if a person phoned your home and then at teh end of your conversation said they had just been recording you. It's kinda weird.

Don't get me wrong, this was not personal. It was just a general comment. No insult meant, I'm sure that you are honest. :)

When a call is recieved from, for example your bank, mobile phone network or utility supplier, these are all recorded. The receiver of the call is not told at the begining of the conversation that it is being recorded or monitored. You can't have it both ways. Sadly consumers do not make use of a recorder often enough to cover themselves.

Actually, it's kinda ironic, but I was in the whole customer recording me and not telling me til the end situation today, and I have to say I found it kinda creepy. You need to remember that when a company calls you it is kept on a company database, but when a person records you from their own home the recording is simply sitting on their computer etc at home.

Also, whilst I appreciate you say it is nothing personal (and I do not take it as such), it is also nothing personal that I think it is nice to ask the csa if they mind being recorded (if they don't want to be their manager takes over the call, they don't just tell you to go away!) as there is no way for me to be sure that a person does not fiddle with a recording of me on their computer to try to get me into trouble (I have had really vindictive customers who ask to speak to a manager when they are not happy with what I've told them and then blatantly lie and say I swore at them etc). Whilst I appreciate the vast majority of customers are not like this, I stand to lose my job and future as a lawyer because of their recording; the most that can happen to them is that they lose their complaint case etc.

Anyhoo, that was massively offtopic, so back to the topic at hand...