Newlyn Bailiff, Richmond Council and bankruptcy threat. PLS HELP

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5056 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I would be very very grateful for any advice. I am seriously at the end of my rope now with all of this and I just need to make it stop.

We have an outstnading liability with Richmond Council, stretching back over a few years, because of periods when my husband was made reundant twice and my son's ill health.

Newlyn's bullied us into paying £300 per month.

We moved a few months ago and informed Newlyn that the payment would be late due to the move. When I rang them to pay they told me nope, pay it all or we're coming round.

To cut a long story short I had to beg the council to intervene and we agreed that the payments would restart at £300 per month from this month (my husband is contract and doesn't get paid when he doesn't work...he hasn't been working when my son's in hospital etc etc.)

I called Newlyn and told them that, as this was the first month my husband was being paid monthly (previously he was paid weekly) there had been an error in payment and he was being paid by cheque, so I would send Newlyn a cheque. I didn't really get much response from them other than "the payment needs to be made blah blah"

So, I've just come home and, even though they've received my cheque, they've sent two separate letters to me and my husband entitled "Bankrupty Proceedings"

Forgive me for the long post but this is what the letter says (my comments are in italics):

"Magistrates' Liability order dated xx

Despite many attempts to contact you (they've only just left me a msg on my mobile asking me to call them in relation to the cheque I sent them) and collect the outstanding debt referred to above, you have failed to pay the monies due to the Council. Failure to pay immediately will result in us taking our clients instructions to file for your personal bankruptcy.

Being made bankrupt will affect your ability to aobtain any credit in the future. This includes all credit cards, hire purchase, store or club cards and a mortgage. You may be required to sell your home and any other assets you may have to satisfy your creditors."

There are separate letters to me and my husband, both with differing amounts, neither of which makes sense.

I haven't called them because I feel that I have paid them and because they are truly the worst people to deal with I would rather, hopefully, get some advice on here if at all possible, and keep it all in writing.

I would be very very grateful for any advice as I just cannot keep going on like this with them.

If they do come to my house can they try to take my car? I ask as it's the only way I can get my son to the hospital and I cant allow them to interfere with that.

Thank you

I also wanted to just say that I have had to complain to the council re this company many times. They have lied to the council about our repayment history and make it as difficult as possible to pay or make any small change to repayment dates.

Sorry, I just really don't know what to do now.

How come you have seperate liabilites? Do you know how much the original Liability was for? Sadly they can take your car, though it is likely that they will clamp it. Is it by any chance under finance or financed by Motobility? Have they been around yet? Sorry so many questions, it is just useful to get a good overall picture.

SFx

I really don't understand about the separate letters. This is the first time they've sent us separate letters at all.

We've sent them the payment and I just don't understand this at all.

No, they haven't been around so far. About an hour ago, when we got home to these letters, I also had a message on my phone asking me to call them re the cheque I'd sent.

Thanks again

If they do come around do not ever ever let them in, however, reasonable they might be! Firstly call regarding the cheque so you know what their issues is! Post back and then phone Newlyn and ask them exactly what is going on? When you have this info, you can phone the council and ask them to tell Newlyn that they are happy with your repayment plan and that they are happy for you to carry on paying

SFx

Thanks very much. I have emailed the council as I couldn't get through. I will wait to speak to them before I speak to Newlyn I think as, from previous experience, Newlyn use any small problem to force the issue.

Thanks again

Have the bailiffs ever been into your home?

Did either of you sign a Walking Possession?

Could you provide the name of the bailiff that is dealing with the case at Newlns as I can then check our datatbase to see whether or not he is certificated.

Send the name of the bailiff by private message ONLY.