unfair deposit deduction

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6000 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I vacated a flat one and half month back and I haven't received my deposit £700 yet from the landlady. I spoke to her and she is refusing to return whole of my deposit saying the flat was dirty and also quoting some damages. she hasn't given anything in writing yet saying that she was very busy sorting out stuff in the house for the next tenant. I tried my best to clean the flat before leaving, but I told her she can deduct any charges for professional cleaning if she is not satisfied with cleanliness. and also there may be some black marks at few places, but she is charging me to repaint the whole flat. also I complained about the sofa to the letting agent and also to the landlady while I was staying that it is getting torn and needs replacement. now she is holding me responsible saying my son was jumping on it when she visited the flat, so she is charging me to replace the sofa. unfortunately I have not taken photos before leaving, can she say anything she wants and take all my money?

my deposit is not protected through the new scheme, because the tenancy started last year and was renewed before April this year. the letting agent wrote her two letters to give her complaints in writing, she said she will do it next week. now I am going to send her Letter before action and if she refuses to return my money, then I will be making a claim. the initial inventory was signed by both of us. but I think it is unfair to charge me for the painting the whole flat for just few black marks on the walls at few places and replacing the sofa even though I complained about its condition when I started seeing cracks on it. the thread from the sofa cloth was coming out. I didn't do any damage to the sofa. it was happenning on its own.

can she say anything she wants and take all my money?

NO

And you seem to understand this too because you are

going to send her Letter before action and if she refuses to return my money, then I will be making a claim.

What is it that you need help with? :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

thanks for the reply.

my question was whether it is fair not to return deposit given above scenario? also since I have not taken photos before vacating the flat, can she take that as an advantage to make false statements about the condition of the flat?