Landlord rented property twice in same period

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5059 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Complicated, so I will try to be as concise as possible.

I recently left a tenanted property. I was in a 'holding over' situation - my landlord knew I was looking for another property and I had kept him fully informed.

I gave more than a month's notice in writing as per contract, with a verbal proviso with the landlord that if they found other tenants who could move in within that time, there would be a pro rata rebate on the rent. I was moving to another property halfway through the month's notice.

I got my full deposit back (I left the property immaculate and cleaner than when I arrived) and agreed to hand over my keys 3 days early in my notice period to facilitate the landlord touching up paintwork etc. - basically being nice.

On the day of handover at the property - I found the landlord had already let himself into the property to do minor works. I asked the landlord directly if he had any tenants moving in. He said no. Lo and behold I find out that tenants have moved in later that day - meaning that effectively he has rented the property for those 3 days twice.

Not only is this a breach of trust (he lied) - surely this is not legal? Also, would I be liable for any damage to the property during those 3 days?

I look forward to your replies and possible help.

Damage - no, you would not be liable.

Rent you are basically due back. However, the question has to be, is it worth it for the sake of 3 days rent, to go through the hassle of court etc?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

I could always try the option of telling the landlord that I know what has happened and shaming him into giving me the 3 days rent. This could obviously predjudice my chances of getting a decent reference if I need one in the future.

The daily rental rate gives a figure for 3 days of £49.00.

I think it is a matter of principle and basically don't like being lied to, although you are right about weighing up principle vs £49!

I look forward to your comment and thank you for your comment so far.