Bl**dy Argos

patdavies
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6003 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just returned from the local Argos and I'm not happy.:mad:

We went to purchase a Wharfdale 42" LCD TV. Advertised on the website and on poster all over the store as reduced from £799 to £499 until 20th November.

Checked on one of the Tonka toy things on the desktop and it said, "Home delivery only. Order at the till". It did not say anything about stock.

So we joined a long queue with one person working a single till. Eventually, we get to the till and the girl says "No stock at the warehouse". She offers to go and check when they are expecting fresh stock. She eventually comes back and says w/c 25th November. Oh, I says, we'll order one for delivery then. Then we are told that ewr can't do that - we have to come back in when there is stock available. But she only said week commencing - are we supposed to go in every day of the week?

I point out that they have advertising posters all over the store, for something that they can't sell - doe she not feel that this is misleading. She goes to get a manager, who eventually 5+ minutes deigns to wander over to see us.

She tells us that all offers are subject to availability; I tell her that this is not clear from the poster; she replies that she would have thought it obvious.

So is there a breach of Trade Description Act by continuing to advertise something that cannot possibly be fulfilled at the advertised price?

It should say subject to availability quite prominently. This is widely discussed in contract case law (who makes the offer (that's the customer in case anyone didn't know)) but to continue to advertise when they know damned well it is not available is certainly an unfair practice. As a false trade description, I am not sure it would work. get it reported!

Hi

I had problems with Argos a short while ago and emailed their head office and complained.

They take complaints seriously so do it. I had the MD's Secretary phone me at home to apologise, got free delivery and also a cheque for £50 to say sorry. I also received £35 in vouchers.

Hope this helps.

Chris