HMRC - demand for repayment

dave
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6005 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I had a letter from the inland revenue some months ago about overpayments of child tax credit - the letter stated that they had written to me before about this issue.

I ignored it, as I just assumed that as usual it was yet another govt. department cock up (which it certainly seems to be).

The thing is, I have never had a letter from them, and I don't even claim child tax credits - I'm probably not even eligable for them. In fact, I would have thought that they were paid to the mother of children (I seem to remember something about this on the news a few years ago).

I've just had another letter from them getting really sh***y with me and demanding that I phone a phone number that is NOT free, nor charged at normal rate.

I refuse point blank to phone them - I don't see why I should pay to tell them that they have cocked up yet again.

I was actually quite disgusted by the heading on the top of the letter - "HRMS Child Tax Credit Overpayment Dept."

Wow! They cock up so much in one particular area that they actually have a department to deal with it. Incredible.

So, not really after advice - I intend to continue ignoring it - just wanted a rant.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Probably is HRMC.

I don't see why I should waste my time writing back to them to be honest.

I haven't had any money from them, and their records, should they actually be bothered to check will show them that.

I really do not like entering into correspondence with any department from the governement - once you do that, they've got you.

I'll be bombarded forever more - probably subjected to tax audits, more jumped up charges, be forced to phone them and put in never ending queues on the phone, have to complete huge tax forms each year etc...

No, I think the best bet is to leave them well alone.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

------------

Trouble is that they won't go away. If they have started, however mistakenly, to get you in their sights, although they may be slow, they will not stop. In my experience always deal with HMRC immediately - otherwise they can, and many people I have dealt with in the past will confirm that they do, just roll over you and you'll find that you're telling them they have made a mistake in your response to their bankruptcy petition.

Yeah, maybe you are right.

However, I'm due to move soon, and I am hoping to take a couple of years of work, so they'd have a hell of a job finding me ;-)

------------

------------

He he Dave, not being around won't stop them either!!

What people should always remember about HMRC is that they never have to prove the debt in any court proceedings (that's certainly true about tax anyway and I expect the same about overpayments of benefits).. They only have to produce a certificate to the court that an amount is owing and the court is obliged to accept this as evidence that the debt exists and is outstanding. Even if they're wrong leaving it to that late stage is like that King on his throne telling the incoming tide to back off!

And don't forget that they can proceed against you as long as they have your last known address.

You don't want to come back to an old rotten fan covered in sh*t after your break now do you :)

Ok, point taken. I'll write to them.

------------

------------

Dave

It seems to me that you might be a victim of Fraud. If you know you have never claimed tax credits then I would more even more concerned. I have read so many stories about tax credit fraud, it's happening to lots of people who have never ever claimed for them. Please check out this site

http://www.taxcreditoverpayment.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Here you will find guidance on what steps you must take to dispute this overpayment. My advice would be to save your writing for the dispute form, they don't respond to written letters.

Splashin

SPLASHIN ;)

Top Link Checkout

[email protected]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]