Company serching post

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5058 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Do you have a specific instance? a few more details would be helpful in order to advise you properly.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

well i understand the details but it says searches will include workstation, desl any personal belongings you bring to work, INCLUDING POST, jackets, coats pockets, bags, You shall comply with any searchs policies that the company may issue from time to time.

can they do this and with the POST part as well

Short answer is yes they can.I take it that this is company policy? You can refuse but if you do you could find yourself in breach of company rules. You can insist that only a police officer conducts a search but its not worth the hassle.

If you do not wish them to search your post or anything else personal then best thing is not to bring these into the work place.

Basically many companies have this sort of policy and so long as its conducted fairly IE: Female searching females and giving you the right to have a witness of your choice during the search then its unlikely that you have a grievance.

Companies should use the search policy in a sensible manner and not search everyone,everyday etc etc.

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales

but they cant serach your mail????

If the mail is company mail then yes they can. If its your own personal mail that you have bought into the work place then again yes they can.

If you do not wish your mail to be searched, do not bring it into the work place.

Not a problem happy to help.

If they did ask to search any personal mail,i would say its fair that you request that a senior manager conducts that search as the mail is so personal.

If that was refused i would then make it known that your not happy with "joe bloggs security man" seeing your mail and then put a grievance letter in.

However i would say 99% of companies would respect your wish and conduct themselves in a sensitive and professional way.

However much a company wants to dress up the opening of mail personally addressed to an individual, it remains a summary criminal offence under the Postal Services Act 2000 to open or otherwise interfere with a mail packet addressed to another.

The CPS : Communications offences

Interference with mail - Postal Services Act 2000 Sectionss 83 and 84 The Postal Services Act 2000 sections 83 and 84, see Stones 8 - 24243 and 8 - 24244, create offences of interfering with mail. Section 83 is aimed at persons engaged in the business of a postal operator and creates an either way offence. Section 84 covers anybody and creates a summary only imprisonable offence. Both sections cover intentional delaying or opening of a postal packet and intentional opening of a mail bag.

Edit: Mis-read OP, post already opened and on the person could be searched in this way if their is an express contractual term that covers this. Sorry for the confusion.

Regards, Dave.

If my post was helpful don't forget to click the star!

Advice is offered freely, without liability and without prejudice.

If in any doubt professional legal advice should be sought.

I do not profess to be in any way legally trained, I am a big

oily truck driver and all I know has been learned within the

Consumer Action Group.

FAQ's

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

Trying to stop smoking?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/give-up-smoking-here/

A dummies guide to the forums

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

--

KEEP WILDLIFE IN THE WILD

http://www.bornfree.org.uk

BORN FREE FOUNDATION

--

If its unopened i would say its very unlikely that the company will ask to see it and if they do then i would refuse to do so on the grounds of confidentiality.

As i have said, if its forms part of your T&C `s that you are subject to searches then they do have a right to search you, so do not take anything you don`t want them to see into your ork place.