• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

BRIGHTHOUSE STORES to Sponsor TRISHA TV Show !

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5548 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This has got me really mad!

For much of the early part of this year I was involved with the producers of an TV documentary highlighting the problems of debt, loan sharks and predatory lending.

Today I find this...

BrightHouse to sponsor Trisha

Thursday October 11 2007

BrightHouse has announced an exclusive agreement with Five to sponsor The Trisha Goddard Show.

Research conducted by AMS Media, on behalf of BrightHouse, revealed that 70% of Trisha's audience fit BrightHouse's target customer profile.

Hamish Paton, Business Development Director said: “We are proud of the relationship we have with our customers. Our stores know their customers: they have close links to the community and many store staff are recruited locally. Our customers relate to the situations Trisha deals with on her show - real people with real issues. This deal is great for the company because it reinforces our community approach and our commitment to providing solutions for our customers.”

Trisha Goddard said: “I am delighted we have teamed up with BrightHouse to sponsor my show. I relish the challenges involved in helping real people solve their problems in order to live better, more fulfilling, lives and it's great that BrightHouse share those aspirations.”

Hamish Paton said: “As BrightHouse expands its store network, we are working hard to increase our brand awareness and people's understanding of what this company is about. We believe that the involvement with The Trisha Goddard Show will help this enormously.

“The sponsorship also marks the public launch of BrightHouse's new strapline 'Your Weekly Payment Store'. This reinforces the core message of our store proposition, which is to allow customers the opportunity to pay weekly for the things they really need.”

full article here

I think this is an absolute disgrace.

Comments, anyone?

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trisha Goddard said: “I am delighted we have teamed up with BrightHouse to sponsor my show. I relish the challenges involved in helping real people solve their problems in order to live better, more fulfilling, lives and it's great that BrightHouse share those aspirations.”

I'm not sure which planet Trisha Goddard is on...they don't help people to solve their problems - they create them by charging ridiculous amounts for every day items, and preying on the vunerable people in society. As soon as a payment is missed, well, that's when the $h1t hits the fan.

It's as pathetic as Carole Vorderman fronting FirstPlus.... none of 'em have got any morals whatsoever.

Well I'm sure Brighthouse would have got a great deal and no doubt the seven or so viewers that the show attracts will be tremendously grateful.

Does anyone know who her agent is? Perhaps some e-mails outlining concerns should be sent?

Well I'm sure Brighthouse would have got a great deal and no doubt the seven or so viewers that the show attracts will be tremendously grateful.

Does anyone know who her agent is? Perhaps some e-mails outlining concerns should be sent?

I've already emailed the show's production company - and channel 5! (like I said, this has really got me quite mad!!!)

Dear Sirs

I am writing to you to express my disappointment at your sponsorship deal with BRIGHTHOUSE Stores in relation to the TRISHA show.

BrightHouse to sponsor Trisha

Thursday October 11 2007

BrightHouse has announced an exclusive agreement with Five to sponsor The Trisha Goddard Show.

Research conducted by AMS Media, on behalf of BrightHouse, revealed that 70% of Trisha's audience fit BrightHouse's target customer profile.

Hamish Paton, Business Development Director said: “We are proud of the relationship we have with our customers. Our stores know their customers: they have close links to the community and many store staff are recruited locally. Our customers relate to the situations Trisha deals with on her show - real people with real issues. This deal is great for the company because it reinforces our community approach and our commitment to providing solutions for our customers.”

Hamish Paton said: “As BrightHouse expands its store network, we are working hard to increase our brand awareness and people's understanding of what this company is about. We believe that the involvement with The Trisha Goddard Show will help this enormously.

“The sponsorship also marks the public launch of BrightHouse's new strapline 'Your Weekly Payment Store'. This reinforces the core message of our store proposition, which is to allow customers the opportunity to pay weekly for the things they really need.”...

I am saddened to learn that 70% of Trisha's target audience are seen as "sub-prime", "non-creditworthy" and ill-educated - because THAT is Brighthouse's typical customer profile.

Brighthouse are PREDATORY lenders who exploit the poor and more vunerable people in our society. They do this by "marking up" regular high street prices, charging extortionate interest rates (29.9%), adding non-negotiable "service contracts" and "damage liablity cover" inurance policies, yet dress this up as "affordable" weekly payments.

Take this example:

A Newhome cooker for sale at Brighthouse for £703.29. Yet if you choose to pay for this over 3 years at £9.99 per week using their credit deal, you'd end up paying £1,558.44.

Argos price - £495.00

Brighthouse are also very well known for their "bully-boy" tactics and blatant disregard for consumer law. I would suggest you aquaint yourself with a few selected threads from THE CONSUMER ACTION GROUP website.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/53098-steven4064-brighthouse.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-stores/48343-brighthouse-problem-again.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-stores/44163-brighthouse-stores-formerly-crazy.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-stores/99533-brighthouse-experience.html

I honestly think it is disgraceful for a national TV show - which claims to help "real people with real problems" to be associated with such a company, and I would urge you to reconsider this sponsorship deal.

With Kind Regards

Lefty ;)

I've also brought this to the attention of the ITV company that was researching an "revealing" documentary regarding Brighthouse.

!!!!!!

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

;)

I Still don't get it! The profile of Brighthouse's customers probably match the market segment that Goddard reaches. Voderman sings the praises of First Plus, yet anyone with half a brain will see there are cheaper ways of getting money than taking Voderman's word. 'Sponsorship' is nothing more than having a corporate name placed withing the 'bumpers' of an ITV show.

I don't have to like Barclaycard or use one to enjoy the program it sponsors, so there really doesn't seem to be much to complain about, except not watch the show.

I Still don't get it! The profile of Brighthouse's customers probably match the market segment that Goddard reaches. Voderman sings the praises of First Plus, yet anyone with half a brain will see there are cheaper ways of getting money than taking Voderman's word. 'Sponsorship' is nothing more than having a corporate name placed withing the 'bumpers' of an ITV show.

I don't have to like Barclaycard or use one to enjoy the program it sponsors, so there really doesn't seem to be much to complain about, except not watch the show.

Perhaps you don't get it, Busby. And, as ever, your views and opinions are clean cut and accurate.

However, I DO get it - and it makes me very mad. I, for one, disapprove very strongly to the lower classes (poor people, "chavs", benefit class - call em what you like) being wheeled out as entertainment (having usually been lured with a few quid expense money and a night in a hotel) to be laughed at by the rest of the population on these gutter level TV shows!

It then makes me even madder to think some executive has comissioned a survey that reveals that 70% of the show's audience are prime targets to be exploited by the likes of Brighthouse.

It's not just innocent sponsorship (if there is such a thing!) It's a very carefully thought out - and downright blatant - attempt to exploit some of the most vunerable people in society, locking them into ridiculously expensive credit agreements, causing misery and hardship, and all dressed up to look like a caring - community based - helping hand.

Trisha Goddard should seriously been ashamed of herself, and DESPERATELY needs to consider the consequences on her career of such a partnertship.

Cheers

Lefty

• Haha 1

;)

Don't get me wrong - I do think those who are unable to realise when they're being taken for a ride should be protected, but then where do you draw the line? Booze and Gambling are highly regulated, yet anyone can still make the wrong choices and end up with irreplaceable livers and debt they have no chance to repay. Singling out Brighthouse, seems a tad unfair when there are worse firms out there with punitive interest rates (Provincial comes to mind). Similarly, those that have appeared in the press for having spend thousands on their phone bill on 09 numbers, all appear to be from that Socio-class. Why do we have a need for services like these, when a credit or debit card would suffice? (Like in the old days).

Trisha is just one of a long line of pseudo 'lifestyle' confrontation-fodder and tabloid tattle, as beloved of Kilroy, Kyle, Whale and the rest. I'd like to think folk will realise there's more to life than this packaged and manipulative cobblers, but if it wasn't Brighthouse, then Curry's could be waiting in the wings with their 40% APR 6-months free deals....

To be really effective - if you could get support to end Trisha and her clones, I'd sign that petition! :)

Singling out Brighthouse, seems a tad unfair when there are worse firms out there with punitive interest rates (Provincial comes to mind).

Yes. There are other (I would hesitate to say "worse") companies out there with more punitive interest rates than Brighthouse - you mention Provincial? Perhaps you mean Provident? (The Provvy)? APR's in excess of 177%?

I don't think I am being unfair to single out Brighthouse.

From my experience, (having been a campainer against predatory lenders for quite some time), there are only really three companies that SPECIFICALLY target the poor, set up shop in deprived areas, and generally milk the non-creditworthy. Provident (as mentioned), Cash Converters (the buy back store - 360% APR) and BRIGHTHOUSE.

However, where Brighthouse differ from the other two (ie: everyone knows their agenda - and have little, if any, ambiguity) Brighthouse attempt to appear "acceptable" and proclaim a company "mission" to "help" people get "the credit they deserve". It is this that makes Brighthouse worse than the others. Behind the very polished corporate image is a multi-million pound industry which has a 100% customer base that nobody else wants. The poor, the sub-prime and people on benefit.

Add to that their very well publicised disregard for consumer law (just search Brighthouse on this forum), their bully-boy tactics and highly questionable contracts and sales techniques, you may possibly appreciate my utter contempt for the company - and their sponsorship of the TRISHA TV show.

Cheers

Lefty

;)

I don't think I am being unfair to single out Brighthouse.

Nor me.

I have spoken to MANY folks who have agreements with both Brighthouse and Provident and the general consensus is that Brighthouse are a much, much, much worse firm to deal with.

Werent they refused permission to set up in France due to their targetting of low income families?

If so the french have something going for them after all.;)

Yes. They were called "Crazy Georges" at the time. They were thrown out due to their non-transparent terms (ie - service contracts, extra insurance schemes, etc) and left with their tails firmly between their legs!

Cheers

Lefty

;)

Here's my first response to emails sent to both the show's producers and Channel 5. (I also found an email for Trisha herself! Ha ha!)

This is from Town House TV

Dear Lefty,

Town House TV makes the Trisha Goddard show but has nothing whatsoever to do with its sponsorship. Nor do we receive any financial gain from it. This is entirely a matter for the broadcaster, Five.

I will pass on your letter to them and you can contact them separately. You can raise your concerns by calling the customer services team on 0845 7 050505 or 0207 421 7270 you can also email [email protected]

Kind regards

Malcolm Allsop

Managing Director

Town House TV Productions Ltd

;)

Certainly distancing themselves from it.

Exactly what I thought... ;)

Cheers

Lefty

;)

Have you emailed Trish yet as i would love to see her response to this.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

another brighthouse link for your emails. In this one they are harassing children.

Brighthouse and missing spouse

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Have you emailed Trish yet as i would love to see her response to this.

Yes. Trisha Goddard is joint executive producer (along with Malcolm Allsop) and she received the same email... ;)

Cheers Lefty

(PS Thanks for the link - I had missed that one!)

;)

yw lefty. I am watching that thread and this one very closely now. Trisha still has a house in Norwich which is only an hour from hear might go and track her down. BTW she still films in Norwich to as a friend of mine works for Anglia TV. Five rent a studio every day of the week from them so she can film her TV programme in the same building that she was in before she moved to Five.

but dont tell anyone else we would not want a CAG protest on her doorstep now would we. ;)

Perhaps you mean Provident? (The Provvy)? APR's in excess of 177%?

Cheers Lefty, yes it did mean Provident (I'd been dealing with Insurers in a different thread and brain fade took over!) Keep up the good fight! :)

Hi folks.

Just a little update.

I have received a very detailed reply from channel 5 - which is very interesting reading. However, as the email contains this footer:

This e-mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. It must not be sent by or its

contents copied or disclosed to persons other than the intended recipient. Any liability arising from any third party acting or refraining from acting on any information contained in this e-mail is excluded.

I have, therefore, replied with this:

Thank you for your response.

As you may have noticed, I am writing to channel 5 in my capacity as a contributor to the Consumer Action Group forums and Brighthouse is a company which features regularly, as you can imagine.

Therefore, I would like your permission to reproduce (by nature of a forum post) your response (in full) to my enquiry.

If this is not possible, I would appreciate a statement for publication from channel 5 in regard to this.

Kindest Regards

Lefty

As a matter of interest, if anyone would like a copy of my "fact sheet" on how to deal with Brighthouse, I have uploaded a PDF file on this post.

Cheers

Lefty

;)