Help with charges against A&L

mcjohnson
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5975 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was charged by Alliance and Leicester for:

1 - 19/07 - Returned Item charge - £34

Despite Item being returned only being £37.11 Returned Item charge was ok to be taken out of my account though...! The charge sent my account overdrawn by £27.11 - hence an....

2 - 09/08 - Unauthorised Overdraft charge - £25

Followed by...

3 - 09/08 - Unauthorised Overdraft charge No 2 - £25

Because I was overdrawn for 5 or more days in the statement month between 23rd june - 23rd July. Followed by....

4 - 09/09 - Unauthorised Overdraft charge No 3 - £25

Because I was still overdrawn at the start of the new statement month, the 24th July! My Salary was paid in on the 25th July!

1 failed DD (value £37.11), causing a 4-working day unauthorised overdraft = £109 in charges!!!

For those of you confused, basically I went overdrawn on the 19th July (a Thursday), salary was paid in the following Tuesday (25th) and somehow, in the Four working days inbetween I managed to get three unauthorised overdraft charges at £25 each...

Reasons being:

1 - A&L, when calculating charges, consider non-working days as valid days for payment. Thus, Sundays (when no bank is open) and Saturdays (when clearing banks are closed) your still expected to be able to make payments on these days. The T&Cs do not mention that non-working days are not considered and I believe that it is perfectly reasonable to assume that, if you can't perform a full range of banking calculations on these days they shouldn't be considered. The banks don't consider non-working days when making payments to your account.

2 - A&L have these miraculous things called "Statement dates" that are not mentioned at all in their T&Cs. Thus if you went overdrawn on the 23rd and paid money in on the 25th, you would get charged on the 23rd and 24th! as you'd be in a new calendar month.

Whilst there is obviously the wider case of whether the original charge of £34 for a failed DD of £37.11 can be warranted, I am more concerned at the specific failure of A&L to accept that their ambiguous T&Cs, regarding statement months and non-working days, are now being abused to agressively pursue bank charges.

I was hoping someone could advise the best course of action to reclaim these charges?

just go through the usual process

the payment review charge is still 25 quid, but be aware of recent unauthorised overdraft charges changes, it is now 5 a day which may give you leverage

probably wont be settled till after the test case tho