Linux users

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3887 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am just dipping my toe into using Linux

Does anyone know of any good websites that will help me learn how to use it properly?

I am an experienced Windows user so if there are any 'conversion' sites then these would be good.

I am running sabayon Linux

BEFORE starting your claim read through the FAQ's and if there's something you aren't sure of then ask.

If you win, donate to this site

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

It won't take long mate - even B picked it up faster than she did the dreaded Vista.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Can't help but ask-why do u want to use Linux?

Silly question! Are you a windows fan? Why would anybody who has the potential not want to use linux?

:o:o:o

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

If I've been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

• 3 years later...
Silly question! Are you a windows fan? Why would anybody who has the potential not want to use linux?

:o:o:o

There are many answers to that, the main one prob being that 90% (prob more) of business' use Windows and therefore purely as a job prospect point of view it is the most important OS to learn about.

I work in IT support and whilst Linux is used, I certainly would get far without a knowledge of Windows' OS's and therefore that what i run at home too, mainly to learn more.

Other answers maybe that the sheer multitude of slightly different flavours of Linux make it a bit of a minefield to step into (at least inititally).

I have used both and I much prefer Windows, especially in terms of support, drivers, connectivity to other devices and just general ease of use.

I course there are pro's for Linux..and the main one being cost..in fact I am surprised that it isnt used more in workplaces, the cost saving of rolling out Linux compared to Windows is vast BUT lets face facts Linux is (will always be ?) seen as bit of a nerdy, minority OS and that is unlikely to change anytime soon, the only competition i can see for MS will come in the form of tablets/Android/ARM CPU's and not Linux.

Andy