Lowell's and debt more than 6 years old!

BrianP68
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6000 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Having just read some items in here elating to aged debt, I find myself seeking some advice on a similar issue.

I started receiving letters from a company 'Red' chasing me fo a debt from march 1999 for Nat West credit cards which i had previous to this year, but had subsequently cut up. I verified through phone calls wha tthe debt was and the dates and tied them into the fact that I moved from this address the previous year with no such debt.

I was requested by this company to send a copy of my signature t verify it was not my debt, but possible fraud. I did not send anything to this company and also received no further phone calls, for 6 weeks, until today, when I received a call from Lowell's asking to confirm my address, postcode and a work telephone number (which they were actually calling me on). They again were chasing me about this debt, demanding full payment by Friday 16th November or else they would take legal action and increase the debt by up to 60% to cover costs and then send collectors to my home to remove goods to the value. I offered to pay 10% before then to placate them, but found this website first, so need advice before Friday as what is my best course of action.

Looking forward to any help i can get!

Red and Lowells are one and the same. If no payment or acknowledgement in writing has been made on this account since March 1999 the debt is statute barred (debts become statute barred after 6 years in England/Wales and can not become unstatute barred). Once a debt is statute barred it can not be enforced and you are under no obligation to make a payment.

Lowells are renowned for chasing statute barred debt hoping that you won't know and make some sort of payment on the account.

If you look at the template letters link in my signature (bottom of the page) you will see that there is a template letter for contacting creditors/DCA's regarding statute barred debt. It is template M. I would send this recorded delivery and don't sign your name. Either print your name or use a digital signature.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I have moved your thread to the Debt Collection Forum where you will receive lots of help and advice :)

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.