Your chance to see a comet with the naked eye

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6005 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK I may have caught your attention, but this one is for those who may be vaguely interested. Comet 17Pholmes (yes that's its name) is not normally visible to the naked eye, "exploded" around the 26th October.

It can now be seen in the NNE about an hour after sunset.Although naked eye visible,it looks its best in a pair of binoculars.(If you want any more details,a number of astronomy web sites have maps giving details-it is in the constellation of Perseus.)

A once-faint comet has made a sudden leap from obscurity to center stage. Comet 17P/Holmes, now visible to northern hemisphere residents, increased its brightness by a factor of one million this week, going from magnitude 17 to 2. This makes it visible to the unaided eye as well as binoculars and telescopes, offering a unique viewing opportunity for sky watchers

There is no tail, just a fuzzy spot.

Look up from Mars then when you start seeing stars it's to the left.

Uk

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Too much cloud over the country last night, may get lucky tonight.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

My brother in law is a professor of astrophysics - he told me about this, (he thinks after knowing him for 25 years I get what he's talking about lol) I don't even know where I should be looking:confused:

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

NNE. .

North North East on the Compass. If you know where North is, it should be to the right.

WARNING TO ALL

Thanks UK, I'll let you know if I see it

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.