• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Abbey accounts ** WON **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1868 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been with Abbey for many years and the charges and service keeps getting worse. I have complained many times but they just refuse to do any thing. So I have had enough I have moved my account.

I have printed and sent off the letter (Recorded post) to get details under Data protection act - Will let you know how things go.

I was wondering if you can do this for other accounts - I have a mortgage with Abbey the charges that they apply to this account?

If I change the mortgage to another product still with Abbey there is a charge (i.e. £75). If I move it there is another charge. If I pay off the whole mortgage there are even more charges. If I pay late there is a charges etc

Citi Cards - £800 - N1 Form logged at court

Defence entered

£279 refuned £521 outstanding on claim

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

March 07 Bailiffs called in to collect

20/4 Cheque for £549 - I WIN

Abbey - Setteled in full 9th Nov 2006 £3,300

Abbey - Data Protetion Act informtion

ICO complaint logged

Abbey - N1 Logged - 12/02/2007 £933

FOS Complaint logged 07/03/2007

£180 refunued -Good will Gesture 01/04/2007

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Egg - Data Protection Act request

Returned charges £80

You can go after mortgage charges if they are a penalty for late payment etc. I am doing this with an old mortgage (see the Southen Pacific thread in Other Institutions). I think the jury is still out on early redemption charges and, on balance, I've decided that that might be pushing my luck. You can, however, make a case for this but I don't want to be the first to make it!!

• 1 month later...

I sent off my DPA request to abbey recorded post got a reply saying it is not a DPA request issue and would be dealt with as general request. I have not heared any more so wrote to then to chase up my statements (last 6 years). Reply received today to say they are on microfiche and therefore not covered by the DPA. They have sent me some screen prints which do not make much sence to me what so ever.

Their letter says they will send the statements from microfiche as soon as its retreived from there archive.

But how long can that take?

Defence entered

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

ICO complaint logged

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Returned charges £80

They can only take 40 days, and they are stalling you.

Write a complaint to the Information Commissioner's Office (also read this) to get them involved.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I have sent a final demand for DPA information (template form this site - about info on Microfiche).

I have also downlaoded and completed complaint form from the data commisioners web site, which will go in the post next week.

If I don't receive the info soon how can I proceed with claim?

Defence entered

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

ICO complaint logged

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Returned charges £80

hi, im stuck in the same positon as you at the moment so watching thread with interest

"THE BEST THING ABOUT PEOPLE WHO PLAY GAMES IS BEATING THEM AT THEIR OWN GAME"

old halifax current account and current credit card £1641.53 plus costs---settled after n1 form handed in with no conditions £1761.53:D :D

abbey £2638.18 plus costs-n1 form handed in 28/07/20068) WON:wink:

wifes lloyds/tsb current account £4600- awaiting settlement offer:D ALL OF IT:wink:

neighbours £1800 with lloyds WON :wink:

Their letter says they will send the statements from microfiche as soon as its retreived from there archive.

But how long can that take?

However long they want if they are treating it as a general enquiry. See sticky at top of Abbey forum.

Forum clean up - your claim threads have been merged. Please try to keep all posts about your claim to a single thread only. Thanks :)

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have still not had anything from Abbey.

I sent my DPA request at the end of March 2006 [recoded post] asking for 6 years worth of data. Got reply as per my posting on 2nd May.

I have sent Abbey - the microfiche argument (sticky at top of Abbey forum) letter template, again recorded post, again no reply from Abbey.

I have completed a complaint to the Information Commissioner's Office to get them involved [sent recorded], again not had a reply as yet from them.

Help!!! what to do now? I think this could be a big ish claim

[also claming against 2 credit card companies - claim form sent to court next week]

Defence entered

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

ICO complaint logged

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Returned charges £80

By the way - re: your mortgage, it's sometimes possible to negotiate with the company you're moving TO, to pay any fees the Abbey charge you... they want your business so they usually don't mind helping out the process a little bit.

Well I've given abbey time to comply... How long should the IC take to get back to me? It’s been 2/3 weeks since I logged my complaint with the IC.

What action can I take through the court to get abbey to comply? Is there a template for that? I have had a look and could not find one.

Defence entered

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

ICO complaint logged

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Returned charges £80

Thanks ... I have sent a letter a long the lines of template no 3.

Where can I find the wording to use on the court forms?

Defence entered

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

ICO complaint logged

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Returned charges £80

Ok sorry for being a blank. I found it in a separate thread / sticky!

Can I combine the DPA with a claim for repayment onto one N1 form?

I have 3/6 years worth and have calculated that the year’s data I have is worth around £2,500 plus £600 interest so just over £3,000.

I propose to claim for this plus compensation (£100) for non DPA compliance on the one N1 form. Then when I get the missing Data under the DPA I will start a new second claim for that amount.

Does that sound practical / do able?

Defence entered

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

ICO complaint logged

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Returned charges £80

Can I combine the DPA with a claim for repayment onto one N1 form?

I propose to claim for this plus compensation (£100) for non DPA compliance on the one N1 form. Then when I get the missing Data under the DPA I will start a new second claim for that amount.

Does that sound practical / do able?

I really would treat them separately, otherwise the claim is going to be extremely complex. I would question the "compensation" figure - you would need to be able to provide evidence of actual loss.

So what should I put as compensation? Or should I remove that part from the particulars of claim? If I do remove that then the claim is only for compliance and has no monetary value apart form costs, is that right?

Defence entered

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

ICO complaint logged

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Returned charges £80

It is not essential to have an amount of damages, but it does seem to make it easier for the court to process. However, you have to be able to prove any loss is directly attributable to their failure to comply.

I have just claimed a token amount of £5 to cover the cost of sending a further letter, and my time in writing it, and getting it into the post.

I would say it is difficult to resist the temptation of demanding £35 for sending a letter - but that may compromise your position when it comes to demanding they repay charges! :lol:

Ok thanks for the advice ... Lets see how it goes ...

Defence entered

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

ICO complaint logged

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Returned charges £80

• 2 weeks later...

Well here is the update...

On the DPA side the ICO has written to me acknowledging my complaint, detailing my case no etc. Abbey has done nothing more about complying with my DPA request apart from sending me a list of Direct Debits and Standing Orders etc on the account and the last 12 months statements (which I had any way).

I have been through the bank statements that I have completing the library spreadsheet, rewritten to Abbey asking for missing statements under DPA. Sent Abbey first letter (from library) asking for money back. Got reply today stating Abbey have considered my complaint and points raised. Abbey say the charges were due to insufficient funds, and are in line with their T&C etc. If I felt that they were unfair I should have complained sooner (I’m asking for last 6 years back).

Abbey feel these charges are fair, inline with their T&C, and the Abbey current account is good value and compares fairly with other banks. Abbey accept that I did not set out to incur charges; however it’s still my responsibility to operate the account within the T&C.

If I escalate this to the county court, Abbey will review each case on an individually bases and if the relationship has broken down Abbey may give notice to close the account under their T&C. They have also sated this is a final resolution letter and refer me to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

I have sent off my LBA from the library, the template letter final paragraph suggests making a complaint to the OFT regarding the credit licence. When would you make such a complaint and is there a template letter for doing so?

Defence entered

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

ICO complaint logged

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Returned charges £80

• 5 weeks later...

Update...

Still not heard any more from abbey ref DPA, not heard from the Information Commissioners Office either.

N1 and exemption forms kept flying back and forth hopefully these have been logged, filed and served today :-)

Detail to follow soon...

Defence entered

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

ICO complaint logged

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Returned charges £80

Finally got the court papers issued ... details to follow

Defence entered

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

ICO complaint logged

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Returned charges £80

• 1 month later...

Defence Entered and 50% offer received

Rejected awaiting allocation qustionaire

Defence entered

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

ICO complaint logged

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Returned charges £80

• 2 months later...

AQ filled in and sent off ....

Defence entered

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

ICO complaint logged

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Returned charges £80

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1868 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks