can debt be sold twice??

rob_s
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6002 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

with regards to a mobile phone service provider who sold debt to 3rd party collection agency whom i paid.

the phone co then defaulted a random figure (i kid you not). when i found this out i immediately starting dispute process, including notice of disputes on files. there has subsequently been a long running legal battle (i say battle, my solicitors were useless and didnt follow any of my requests so got nothing done)

this random amount has now been sold. given it was on a single contract, can debt be sold twice?

it wasnt my fault it was defaulted either, they cant add or keep records.

my local mp was not impressed and is getting involved too now, but since larger companies seem to be a law unto themselves i wanted to see what the protocol is on sale of debt

AIUI, a debt can be sent to a DCA and if they are nor successful, it can be pulled back and sent to another.

Fir a debt to be sold or factored, this should only happen once, Company X can't say that I have a debt against Mr Y and sell it several times over.

However, in your case, they seem to have sold the first (correct) debt and you have settled this with the purchaser. They have then 'manufactured' another and sold that to somebody else.

You need all the paperwork that proves you have settled your debt. then write back and inform then that the debt is fully settled, you do not acknowledge this debt and would they take the matter before a judge at the earliest opportunity in order that the matter may be finally resolved. Until and unless they do that, you require them to cease harassing you and desist from any further debt collection activity.

Just ny 2p worth.

You might get better answers if this were moved to the general debt forum

Actually debts are a commodity in their own right. Assuming the debt is sold on by a credit card company to Collector A for 10% (this firm would pay £10 to the credit card firm for each £100 outstanding). Assuming they were unsuccessful in recovering this amount, they could sell it on (say, at a loss) to Collector B for 5%. At each stage the 'ownership' of the debt passes to the new firm . I'm unaware of any legislation that outlaws this commercial practice. However it would be reasonable to assume that if anything could go wrong would, and result in a payment being made whilst the debt erroneously pass on as if it hadn't.

in this case the original provider has sold the debt twice, it has not been passed on from collector A to B

since collector A got his pieces of silver and closed the books (have requested letter to state this, but they are ignoring my recorded letters) it cannot be sold again by any company, collector or provider surely!

i should write to provider to inform them that they are still incompentent and the debt is not recognised and was in dispute prior to being sold again (fraudulent now i imagine, extortion is the word that springs to mind)

thanks guys, going to follow that advice, just need to prise the relevant info from the first collector lol

thanks guys, going to follow that advice, just need to prise the relevant info from the first collector lol

If you are continually getting no joy regarding them confirming that the debt has been paid you could send them a SAR which is a legal request for all the info that they hold on you. It would show your payments to the account.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.