Insurance company replacement of stolen TV

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6000 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

A couple of weeks ago I was burgled and my 32inch LCD Tv was stolen.

The insurance company have handed over the claim to a company whose job seems to be one of providing replacement items in such cases.

Briefly, the TV stolen was a Panasonic TX-32LXD60, bought in late January, this year. That model has been replaced recently by the manufacturer by the TX-32LXD70. That is the item I am seeking. In fact, if I were buying a TV today that is what I would buy.

The insurers, however, are saying that the TX-LMD70A is of a similar specification and that is what they are offering.

How do I stand on this? They don't seem to be budging on this.

If I cannot get anywhere is one option to say to the insurers, "WITHOUT PREJUDICE, please supply me with a 32LXD70 and I'll pay the difference between the two models"?

Thanks

Alan

Guest Aviva Support

The insurer is obliged to leave you in the same position you were in before your TV was stolen, but i can't see why you shouldn't be able to purchase the next model but by paying the extra.

Good Luck

Becca

OK - this is really simple. Go on Google, type in TX32LXD60, and the 1st non sponsered link is a price comparison website. There is a company called J-Excel who have a TX32LXD60 in stock at £699.99 - the other 3 companies are irrelevant, as they might not have the item in stock. Print off that page, send it to the Insurance Company. As it is an internet page, and you will be paying by the inmternet, they cannot issue a cheque to J-Excel.

You then have £699.99 to spend on what model you want.

The Insurance company cannot offer you a "similar" model, if you are able to source the exact replacement.

Good Luck

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

That is correct, most insurers offer replacement policies these days & that means they have a duty to put you back in the position you were in before the loss - this means replacing the exact same TV. If that model is no longer available, they have to provide one which is the closet spec to the one you've lost - by spec I mean, size, capacity, colour etc...it doesn't necessarily mean make.

All insurers will let you upgrade the item if you want to, & contribute towards a better item if you so wish.

Remember though, if you go to your own shop or supplier, insurers receive a discount with their nominated suppliers, so if you want a cash settlement, this will be significantly less than the value of the TV. Always better to go with the replacement option!

I appreciate what is said with the discounted price, however, if they cannot replace exact, and the policyholder can, then the quote provided by the supplier is irrelevant.

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

Well, we got a successful resolution albeit via a backdoor route.

I told the insurers I disputed their stance but as I'd already been without a tv for over two weeks I wasn't willing to wait longer to argue the toss. I told them I would accept their offer, without prejudice to the original position. They then offered me a Comet voucher for £649,99.

Going on Comet's site £649.99 is their store price for the LMD70 with an internet price that's lower, of course. Having said that, the LXD70 was available on an internet only offer at £639.99, store price was £799.99.

I spoke to the Comet voucher people who said I had to buy from a store but the store would match the internet price. He even put me through to the tele-sales team, so we sorted the deal. I pick up my telly in the next couple of hours from a local store.

Sorted. Useful to know about stores sometimes being prepared to match their internet price - as I said this was done without a quibble.

Alan