Debt passed from MCS to Lewis

flappy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5984 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All, this is my first posting, many thanks in advance for any advice forthcoming.

Here it is...

After a messy break-up i found myself without my house, kids, car etc... (you know how it is) and to top it off a debt of nearly £20,000 owed to two different companies 1, HSBC £13,000 (MCS) and 2, Link Finance £7000. These amounts arose from work on the house ie, new windows, carpeting etc... and would have been cleared by equity from the house as we purchased at a good price due to the work required but as my ex partner and i parted company i was dumped in it up to my neck.

I've set up a payment plan with both companies and to date haven't had any problems but now i find (Info from Link Finance) that MCS have transfered the debt to a company called Lewis. I knew nothing about the debt being transfered (Which apparently occurred 28/09/07) and have been advised by Link Finance to stop anymore payments to MCS (Payments have been forwarded to Lewis from MCS) until Lewis have contacted me. Are these companies allowed to discuss this information without my knowledge? I have heard terrible thing regarding Lewis collections and am flapping a tad. I'm in a new relationship now and don't want this to ruin everything. I have been paying monthly standing orders for approx. 6 years now and have not missed one payment. I've heard that Lewis collection usually send you a claim for the total owing, is this correct and are they allowed to do this? Another thing, i have moved house since the payment plans were set up and although i informed all parties of the move (By phone only) neither Link Finance or MCS seem to have changed my details on their data-bases (Well i assume MCS didn't as i haven't heard from Lewis yet and further assume thats why MCS passed the debt as they couldn't contact me). Help!!! :eek:

There is nothing stopping you continuing payments, it is for them to sort out with the new creditor.

I have had one moved in the past and I did nothing (the direct debit payee simply changed) and a proper assignment letter was received (was a finance company to finance company assignment).

Taking their advice may mean that you end up with a default on your credit file, simply because you did not know who to pay. If they have sent it in writing then you can get the default removed but it would turn into a long battle you could do without.

I assume you will not be getting Equity from the house?

Hi Make them aktiv runners,

Thanks for your response, no equity will be coming from the house as unfortunately my ex couldn't keep up payments on the mortgage and i didn't find this out until it was in the throws of re-possession.

So you think i should ignore what the other collection guys said and just let the payments go even though i don't know who they're really going to?

Do you think it would be a bad idea to contact the new collection guys? It seems that the general thoughts on this matter is to let them do the chasing and not contact them but that makes me a little uneasy.

I'm not sure that my new address has been logged by either "MCS", "Link Finance" or the new one "Lewis" and if thats the case how can they send me anything? I did contact both the original guys (MCS and Link Finance by phone).

Just don't want to get caught up i another nightmare situation.