Robinson Way & Ebay fees

LordLee
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5950 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just a quick question...

I was in dispute with Ebay over some fees (under £40).

Ebay were uncooperative

They past the debt to Robinson Way.

After pulling my hair out with Robinson Way's incompetence I just decided to pay my ebay fees directly to ebay and unsuspended my account. Just put it all down to a bad experience.

I'm now free to use Ebay again.

But RobisonWay are still pursuing me for their 'additional costs'.

Where do i stand with these charges?

The OFT Guidelines on Debt Collection are quite clear on such costs.

Examples of unfair practices:

a. Claiming collection costs from a debtor in the absence of express contractual or other legal provision

b. misleading debtors into believing they are legally liable to pay collection charges when this is not the case, for example, when there is no contractual provision

c. not giving an indication in credit agreements of any charges payable on default

d. applying unreasonable charges, for example, charges not based on actual and necessary costs

e. applying charges which are disporportionate to the main debt

You need to check the Ebay UA (I can't do it on this computer), to see whether colection charges are mentioned. In any case, d. and e. above probably apply even if the others don't, though you don't say how much RW are claiming.

I have previously successfully argued in similar circumstances (when the original debt has been paid to a creditor), that no contract exists between the debtor and the DCA. The creditor having accepted the overdue amount, it would seem that the charges are not theirs, and the DCA should look to their client, with whom they have a contract, for their costs. If you really want to rub salt in, tell them that if they believe that it is acceptable to levy a charge where no contract exists, the fee for your letter is £50, and would they be kind enough to send a cheque.

• 2 weeks later...
i paid my ebay fees of £29. Robinson way seem to think i still owe them £8. And constantly pester with phone calls and aggressive staff.

do you, ScarletPimpernel, know exactly what procedure i should proceed with? or does anyone know?

all this for £8? ha ha ha!!!!

talk about desperate! dear me RW, what a bunch of leeches!!

post office WON 12/11/06

abbey.LBA sent 30/10/06.MCOL claim submitted 8/11/06.allocation questionnaire sent 16/12/06.schedule of charges sent 16/12/06.WON

2nd abbey claim SAR sent 3/1/07.WON.complaint letter sent 18/1/08

alliance and Leicester.WON

I'd send a letter telling them that as far as you can see the fees they claim you owe them are contrary to the OFT guidelines, and that in any case you have no contractual relationship with them, so they should look to their client, with who they do have a contractual relationship, for their fees. Tell that you will not enter into any further correspondence in the matter, and that you will charge a handling fee of £50 for any further letters they send; the sending of any more drivel will constitute their acceptance.

• 1 month later...