• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Barclays:Business/Personal Bank Charges (POCs)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5780 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Hattie,

How come your name's changed ?

I suggest you write to your local court now, reiterating the points set out in post #18 of the last page of your thread, and see if you can persuade your local judge that your business claim should NOT be Stayed.

Good luck - Happy and Prosperous New Year to you.:)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi

Sorry for the confusion re name change. I had forgotten my password and I must have made a slip up with my username when I set a new one up!

I will send the same letter details re post #18 to the local judge and wait and see what happens.

Thank you. Happy New Year

Hattie

• 1 month later...

Hi Hattie,

Saw this post and wondered how you're doing with getting your case moving - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/130570-fos-resumes-business-claims.html#post1372643

Give us an update.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi

I sent all the replys that you suggested and it did look promising about Christmas time. However, a got a letter from the Court probably 3/4 days ago confirming that the case has been Stayed. I also got a letter from Barclays offering me a miserly £200 of which I am obviously not accepting.

Are there any dates planned in the near future when they will reviewing the situation re Stayed cases?

Thank you.

Hattie

Thanks Hattie,

I'm waiting to hear how Pov got on with her court (same situation), then we'll put our heads together and come up with a cunning plan !!

I'll be back !! :cool:

Thanks Hattie - I'm on the case. :cool:

Hi Hattie,

Change of tactics, as the courts don't seem to have the guts to play fair.

Send this to Barclays by Rec'd Del'y and see what happens.

Barclays Legal and Compliance

Litigation and Disputes

Level 29

One Churchill Place

London

E14 5HP Date

Dear Sir or Madam,

Claim No xxxxxxxx

Xxxxxx County Court

My claim against Barclays Bank PLC is for the repayment of unlawful penalty charges levied against my business account.

My case is currently Stayed by the Court and I am in the process of having the Stay lifted on the basis of the FSA Report (Two month review of unauthorised overdraft charges complaints handling waiver) published in November 2007.

I quote s.17 of the report :-

“17. The waiver does not include small business current accounts, because its scope is aligned with that of the OFT’s wider investigation which relates to personal current accounts. Firms have agreed to put arrangements in place to ensure that small business customers, including those who thought they were covered by the waiver, are not disadvantaged.

It is clear from the FSA Report that my claim should not be affected by the blanket Stays applied by the Courts to personal current accounts.

The purpose of this letter is to request that you confirm to the Court your agreement to the lifting of the Stay so this case may proceed without further delay, in accordance with the undertaking given by Barclays Bank PLC to the FSA.

Please confirm within 14 days that you agree to my request. If your agreement is not forthcoming, representations will be made by me and other claimants to the FSA without further notice.

Yours faithfully,

…………………

Hattie

Hi Hattie,

I think you saw my above ltr later on in the morning I posted it.

If you've not already sent it to Barclays, please note I've removed the second sub-paragraph quoted from the OFT Review.

If it's gone already, no probs.:cool:

Hi

I'm just working on the letter to send off and when I have looked at the OFT Review I presume you mean add the following:- covered by the waiver (note4).........

(4) Firms have agreed, in particular, that when handling complaints about unauthorised overdraft charges from small

business customers, the complainant will be given the option to accept an offer in full and final settlement, or for

their complaint to be deferred and considered following the determination of the test case. This is because of the

possibility that the test case might inform the approach to be taken in dealing with complaints from small business

customers about these charges. In this situation firms will not seek to rely on any time bars affecting the complaint,

or the customer's ability to complain to FOS.

Just wanted to get it right!

Thank you

Hattie

Hattie,

I amended the letter which I first posted at #34 above and REMOVED the sub-para. Please send the letter as currently set out in post #34.

Sorry if I've confused the issue.:cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Hattie,

No word yet from Barclays ?

You need to read here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/80397-martin3030-barclays-business-round.html#post1418471

Martin's d/w Barclays (business) too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Hattie,

I see you've not looked in since 21st Feb and hope you're OK.

Please give us an update :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Hattie and glad you're back.

Did you have a look at the link I gave in post #40.

Can you write to Barclays saying:-

" I have received no reply to my ltr of xxth Feb, a copy of which is enclosed.

Unless I hear from you within 14 days confirming that you will agree to the lifting of the Stay, Formal Complaints will be made to the FSA and the OFT without further notice.

Yours faithfully, Hattie "

Let us know in 2 weeks if they've had the courtesy to reply.

• 2 weeks later...

Hattie,

You need to read here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/105213-guide-business-claims.html

Sorry, but the ruling today appears to make business claims untenable.

Work will be done on this and we'll keep you posted.

• 1 month later...

Hi Hattie,

Thank you too for fighting all the way as you have done.

We'll keep you updated if anything changes. :cool: