I am a Landlord: Don't shoot me I have a question!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5952 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Landlords do post here and quite a few landlords are available to answer questions from a LLs perspective

Any posts submitted here on the Consumer Action Group under the user name GlasweJen may not necessarily be the view of the poster, CAG or indeed any normal person.

I've become addicted to green blobs (I have 2 now) so feel free to tip my scales if I ever make sense.;-)

Thanks Becka I'll try that.

And Jen, you're joking, I scrolled through posts here after I posted and found one landlord who appeared set upon like wolves by everyone. Nooo thankyou, I'm already in fear for my safety and sanity.

I have popped a suggestion over to the administrators of the site to possibly re-name this forum 'Advice for Tenants' so landlords dont wander into the wrong side of the stadium too often, I hope they do.

Peace.

un-bloody-believable.

Shame that you have edited your original posting- you needed a lot of advice, believe me, I saw that posting. Shame about your delicate sanity level- if you think a few posts could affect you, maybe you should not have lodger (NOT TENANT) who dares to cook, listen to music and shower.

As for the "wrong side of the stadium"- puuhlease, you do not know what you are talking about. This is one of the most helpful, polite, informative, respectful, impartial, up-to-date and passionately caring forum in UK on matters of tenant/landlord laws, on par with much older Landlordzone. The contributors here get very rarely frustrated with posters and are quickly brought to order by others- I know, as I am the one with a potty mouth and short fuse!

Fancy someone popping in for 2 seconds and shooting their mouth of like this! !!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

only one? I count at least 3 excluding the knowledgable Joa who seems to know things from both angles. Splitting the forum will mean hardly anyone will be available to advise the LLs even though some tenants do know about the relevant law despite not being landlords themselves.

slightly irked now (at the OP, not admin who are just responding to a request)

Any posts submitted here on the Consumer Action Group under the user name GlasweJen may not necessarily be the view of the poster, CAG or indeed any normal person.

I've become addicted to green blobs (I have 2 now) so feel free to tip my scales if I ever make sense.;-)

The reason there are more threads about tenant problems is simply because more people post them.

Well spotted demon. More tenants have problems with landlords and less access to resources then landlords who have problems with tenants. Nothing, absolutely nothing to do with us hounding landlords away (although I did try very hard once, but am reformed :cool: )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not wanting to slate the admin, but lets remember that all the OP has done, admittedly misguidedly, has put a request in. The admin jumped in(IMO somewhat heavy handed) and done the changes as mentioned. I do not want to slate them too much, as a) I dont want to be slapped down and b) I do generally think they do a good job.

My only request would be that before admin act on such a request, they analyse the context behind it. In this situation, as the user in question had only just posted on this section, it would have been nice to ask the regular posters in this section their opinion and consult on this basis, as they are the most likely people to know the potential effects of such a change. At the end of the day, this forum would not exist were it not for the regular posters in particular areas, and this should maybe be remembered when making such wholesale changes. In particular, and with the greatest respect to the admin, they do not know the aspects of letting law, and therefore do not know how interlinked the two sides of the coin are - the regular posters do(I hope!).

I hope this has not appeared as too negative - just want to basically make a suggestion for future reference :)

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

True MrShed.

To be fair the OP could have just left his question while admin investigated though, now we're all talking on a half-dead thread

Nevermind, I can see this isn't the place, I dont see any landlords posting.

Could an administrator possibly re-name this forum 'HELP FOR TENANTS' ??

Landlords do not often post questions it is agreed. However, I see LOTS of landlords posting - in response to questions by tenants. For example myself, and I know of at least one other regular poster here who is a landlord. I suspect that all of the regular posters in fact(with one notable exception - you know who you are!:D) landlords themselves. This is due to the simple fact that you do not get this kind of level of knowledge purely as a tenant or an onlooker - you get it by being a landlord - generally speaking.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

I do not want this whole forum to become a grumble point for this change, and so my post above will pretty much(!) be my last on the subject - I feel my point is made.

The only thing I want to add is that I hope BankFodder will do as he suggested on the other thread and rather than just change it and thats it done with, maybe in a few weeks consult with the regular posters in this section and ask their opinion on how it is running. It is easy to say that the issue will be reviewed - quite another thing to actually do so.

I'm just in it for the banter MrShed (and you all love me really), lol. I've managed to aquire some random knowledge of everything, comes from dating a law student who loves tax law like I love chocolate. I like to think I contribute something useful every few months or so :p

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, this is my first question so I hope its in keeping. I am about to rent out a property for the first time. I wondered if someone might give me some advice about getting bank references for a tenant. When I have been a tenant, I have filled in a standard form and ticking a box agreeing to pay for the reference and giving my account details. Is this acceptable? If so, where might I get such a letter and will it be acceptable to most banks? Many thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

Would have loved to read onavamps 1st posting hehehehe b4 there edited it.....

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

oh, it was something truly ridiculous; she's had a lodger whom she wrongly believed to be an AST tenant, she was outraged because the lodger used kitchen and a bathroom at night, she was totally unreasonable in her expectations of what lodgers could be allowed or could not- she needed a lot of help and correcting. And worse of all, she stupidly whined that there should be a separate forum for tenants and landlords (the irony of it- she not even a landlord!!) and the site owner believed her and split the perfectly working landlord and tenants forum into two separate ones. Well, we have been promised that the situation will be reviewed and that the forums might be put back together....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]