Azazal23/ Natwest

Azazal23
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5637 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I spoke to you a few weeks a ago with regards to my posts, not sure if you remember i was successful in claiming all my charges back, as part of my request i wanted new account numbers, which the Customer Relations guy said was no problem but i had to go into the branch to do this. I have since done this but was informed i had to close my account(s) down first. I did this and filled in the relevant forms and informed the guy what had happened. Its been nearly 3 weeks now and i still have no account, i contacted them last Monday and was told becuase of the situation it was just taking a little longer to sort out.

Was just wondering do you think they are gonna try and pull a fast one and refuse to open the new accounts for me, and also were i would stand with regards to this.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is possible that they willr efuse you a new account, and there's basically nothing you can do about it. :(

If you found this post useful, please click on the "scales" icon in the bottom left of my post and say so!

The opinions of this post are those of monkey_uk and do not constitute sound legal advice. I am not a lawyer.

--

Halifax Unlawful Bank Charges: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent 28/02/07 - CC Statement's rcv'd 18/04/07 Bank a/c statements rcv'd 19/04/07

First Direct Unlawful Bank Charges: Settled in Full 12/05/06 | £2235.50

The bank can open a new account within 10 minutes if they want.

You have closed down the account voluntarily after they lead you to believe that this was a necessary first step to opening a new one. I think this is nonsense. It seems to me that the way to have don it would have been to set up a new acocunt and to transfer all of your business to it immedialty and the close your old one. They might even have a mechanism to chane your account number which is all you really wanted.

I think that you are being mislead here and that the porblem with opening your new acocunt is not a routine problem but is because it has been blocked by someone - either permanently or until they have completed some investigation. Investigations can take months.

Do you have another account to use? Do they have any of your money?

Could you link me to the othread which you have already started on this because we should merge them. It is confusing not to have the whole story in one place.

the link for my post is

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=836

Im not gonne take it laying down, i have it in writing that

a, to conclude an outcome i would be satisfied with they would have to change my account numbers

b, he would be more than happy to do that but i would have to go into my local branch in order do so.

There was never any metion of refusing me access to my acocunts, considering this initially started as a fraud case, their lack of action has caused all the trouble. I was not getting anywhere so i decisded to take a new approach and ask for the charges back via the std forst letter in the library, i altered it slightly so it was more applicable to my situation. There is no way they can shut my accounts down involunterily becuase of their lack of action.

I have also just checked my online banking and they have not closed my Step First reserve account. But my main one both are slightly in credit

Think ill pop in lunchtime and ask whats going on

Right went in lunch time, they still said it was being dealt with so decided to ask to speak to the manager who duley came out and as soon as i started shouting about fraud and them taking no action (bear in mind its lunchtime and packed) he quickley agreed to get it set up today.

so we ll see what happens next

Right, just as ive posted the last repy i gets a phone call from the lady i spoke to at Natwest lunchtime. She told me she has just tried to open my account and there is a block on it from Fraud Dept, they have informed her that they will not authorise my new account to be open until they are satisfied there is no further fraud on my accunt (just in the nick of time 12 months late). She said she will get a reply in 7-10 days and let me know. She also inquired as to who i was banking with at the moment and advised me that i was just better off sataying with that bank. I said no thanks i want my account back, she conluded by saying that the STEP account i opened was only a basic account, so i said the one i have with Nationwide is too and would like to start putting my salary back in with them as soon as possible.

She was basically trying to tell me to Pi** off. What can i do if they wont let me have another account, this is not justa straight forward claiming my charges back so we ll close your account type situation.

Where do i stand with regards to my rights

I'm not surprised at this story.

You sent off a DPA request. What is the status of that now?

I think that yo need the data more than ever now - and there will be much more interesting stuff from the fraud department.

Just sent the DPA off, just wondering what there gonna try next. They were deffinetely trying to discourage me from using the account. Dont really see what the fraud dept can do, they ve done nothing for 12 months, just think its an excuss to get me to give up and get lost

Did you send the £10? Have you asked for alldata

• 2 weeks later...

OK just to keep you all up to date, been told now that (after they closed my STEP) account that they cannot open me a new one as these accounts are designed for people who do not have a bank account. Since I do, rather i said i had to open an account with a different bank becuase of all the trouble ive had. Basically get lost we dont want your business. Funilly enough my first reverve account is still open and they have just ordered me a new card start I can start using it again.

Still not received the DPA request from them which was sent 29/3/06. They have refunded me alot of charges £500, and my account is back in the black, but i know i havent got them all back.

Can anyone advise on the next step i am right royally pi**ed off about the fact they are just trying to get rid of me.

Well I don't have any faith in the Ombudsman but you may as well start a complain in that direction.

You have to get a final reponse letter frm your bank.

Write out your comapint to the bank about the way that you have been mislead and that you have been deceived into clsing yuor account.

tell them either to open your account with dfferent numbers as previously requested to to give you a final response so that you can go to the Ombudsman.

In a separate letter remind the sternly of the DPA request. Did you send the money? If you haven't then do so.

Calcualte the rest of your charges and claim them.

If you can point to damage or inconvenience which you have been put to by their deceit you might try and put a claim in on that too - but best to let it go.

I think that you'll have to accept that your account is closed. At least get your money back and you'll feel a bit stronger dealing with your next bank.

Yeah think it s time the gloves came off. Can i claim compensation for breach of contract, as they have clearly failed to act in my best interests, with regards to acting on the fraud information. I also have the letter from Graham Welsh to say they accept that they have failed to act on the information i gave them, and they are willing to refund the charges and set up the new account number, but that he could not do the latter personally and just to go into my local branch and they will be happy to do so. No mention of all this hasstle i am now having.

I think i will keep the DPA thing seperate for now, ill just try and get a final response from them with regards to my account (or lack there off) and then once the DPA info arrives ill hit em for everything in one go. Threaten court action, as i said just wondered if i could claim compensation for all the stress and hastle ive been through not to mention breach of contract (and the banking code aswell)

Ill compose a letter and post it on here so you can have a butchers before i post, see if there s anything i missed or can be phrased better

Thanks

Barry

Just to keep you up to date, just had a phone call from Nationwide (my main) bank, telling me Natwest have been in touch with regards to a payment i made through my Nationwide acocunt to an individual for an item i purchased off an auction site.

Wanted to questions if i had recieved the item. What the hell is going on, can Natwest access my Nationwide account details or something, they are seriously up to something.

Does anyone know if they can do this kind of stuff

It could just be that the person you bought it from is with NW, and they're investigating fraud claims or something...

DPA Letter received by NatWest 11/04/2006

DPA Request expires 21/05/2006

Statements received 15/05/2006

LBA sent 15/05/2006

If you find me vaguely coherent, click the scales.

Sorry. What I mean is that they may have had complaints about this person selling things, but not sending out the items when payment's been received, and they got the details of your account from PayPal or whatever, to check and see if you had received the item you'd paid for. Does that make any sense, or has all the figure-checking I've been doing at work today turned my brain to cream cheese?

LBA sent 15/05/2006

its possible, just think its very coinsidental considering the problems im having with Natwest. As i have had no response from them yet, just wondering what there doing in the background..... would the DPA request i have requested disclose any kind of intervention and checks like this

Very interesting.

Did you get the name of the person at NW who phoned you?

Did they tell you exactly what was said?

Did they happen to get the name of the person at Natwest who phoned them?

Did you ask them for this information?

her name was Kat from Nationwide fraud dept, all she said was Natwest had been i touch with regards to a payment i had made on the 31/1/06 £136 ish, to Mr X

for goods purchased on eb*y. Now not telling her - but i knew that i did not purchase to goods off ebay but a completly different site. I asked her why Natwest had been in touch considering it had nothing to do with them as it was a transaction from my Natwionwide account, she just said they were investigating possible fruad. So i said i had made the payment, she asked wether i had recieved the goods and i confirmed this. She was very polite and just said sorry to bother me and she would get in touch with Natwest and inform them.

now ive just been into Natwest and demanded a phone number for the fraud dept and they refused to give it to me saying its an internal number only. Think they are fed up of seeing me because of the situation, everyone there seems to know my name aswell

Just gone back and check my records and lone behold the payment send from my Nationwide account went to a Natwest account!!! What are they up to..... bearing in mind the two accounts (My Nationwide and this guys Natwest) are totally un connected to the problems i am have/had with my Natwest account 12 months ago

Dear Graham

Thank you for your letter dated 10 March 2006. I am now writing to inform you that I still have no access to my account. As you stated in your letter (see attached) you could not set up a new account number for me, but this be done simply by visiting my local branch with two forms of identity. Please note you did not inform me of any conditions to this. Initially I was happy with the level of service I received, I had explained to the member of staff what had happened and showed him/her a copy of your letter. I filled in the necessary forms to get new account number. I was then informed that my old account (78037743) would need to be closed in order to activate/generate a new account number. I was told it would take a few days to process and I would receive the new details through the post. I waited ten days and went back to the branch, I was told because of the problems with my account it was taking a little longer to process and to give it another week.

I did this but had still not received any correspondence of any sort from the bank. I went back for the third time and was given yet another excuse I was informed that your fraud department were investigating my account, I am sure if it was because of the complaint and information I forwarded to you. I expressed my dissatisfaction at the fact that it was 12 months too late. Again apologies were forthcoming and I was told that a block had been put on my account via the fraud department and a new account could not be set up until they had completed their investigation was told they would have a reply within ten days.

I waited a further two weeks with still no communication from yourselves. I visited the branch for the forth time, this time I was utterly astounded by the response. Not even mentioning anything to do with a response from the fraud department, I was asked whom I was currently banking with. Once informed I was told that “maybe it would be best if I stayed with that bank”. I informed the lady that I did not want that and I had only set up a new account because my account with you had been frozen due to default action incorrectly being taken against me. I also informed her that I did not have a debit card facility with my current banking account which was another reason why id prefer to switch back, I explained this was all besides the point I wanted my account back open and to start using it again, as per your letter. I was then informed that the STEP account was only a “basic” account for people who didn’t have another account; since I did they would be unable to set a new account up.

Not wanting to argue with the lady I decided to leave and write you this letter instead. It is apparent to me that I have clearly been misled into closing my account under the guise of getting a new account number.

I will not tolerate this situation any further I have for over twelve months been writing letters, making phone calls and visiting various branches in order to put an end to this farce. In fact I had informed Natwest that my details had become compromised even before there was any activity on my account, as far back as January 2005.

I do not feel the bank has conducted itself lawfully and certainly not within the terms of our contract. Most defiantly within the terms of its own guidelines, The Banking Code or the Office Of Fair Trading.

In order to rectify this I require you immediately issue me with a new account number and re instate access to my account. In addition a full written apology with an explanation of how the bank has failed so miserably in its obligations to me.

Should you be unwilling or unable to do this I require a final response. I will then seek legal advice, in addition I will report this to the OFT along with copy’s of all correspondence sent and received from yourselves with proof of postage, in addition a log of every phone call made, every branch visited who I spoke to and when.

Please be aware I am not directing the blame directly at yourself for failing to act, since you are the only person who actually acted on the information I gave you and gave me what I considered then a satisfactory response. I have also forwarded a copy of this letter to John Cunnane the Manager of the Customer relations unit at Borehamwood and also the Manager of the Huyton branch Liverpool.

Given the amount of time that has already elapsed I am giving you 14 days in which to respond. Should I not receive a response within that timeframe I will no longer be willing to communicate and will start the action detailed above.

Yours sincerely

Barry

Well, there's quite a few spelling and grammar errors, where you've either missed out words or put in a homophone. I can go through it when I get home this evening, although I'm sure Spice will probably end up correcting it in his lunch break or something.

LBA sent 15/05/2006

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5637 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks